ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Should we change the American national anthem?
Our current anthem works just fine. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. 75 89.29%
Let's change it up. We should keep things fresh. 9 10.71%
I'm not American and don't feel that I should vote on this poll. 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Nzoner's Game Room>New national anthem nomination thread.
Rain Man 10:58 AM 07-01-2022
Mods, feel free to move this to DC if necessary, but I view this as a patriotic topic and not a political topic.

With the 4th of July coming up, it's a good time to reflect upon our national anthem.

Our national anthem works. It glorifies a key moment that ensured American freedom from British rule. Everyone knows the lyrics, almost half of the population can passably sing it, and of course the last line works well to claim ownership of Arrowhead Stadium.

However, there have been some criticisms as well. Apparently the third verse has a slavery reference, even though no one ever sings the third verse. The high and low notes are hard for some people. And it's a war story, which apparently rankles some people.

The Star Spangled Banner has a long tradition in America, but it's not too long to consider a change. It became the national anthem in 1931, so there are still people alive from the pre-spangling days.

So should our anthem change, and if so, what new song would you suggest? Regardless of whether you want a change, give me your suggestions of the best song to replace it if such a thing happened. I'll then put up a poll.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:02 PM 07-01-2022
Originally Posted by Zebedee DuBois:
No, I'm an American. The song doesn't have any lyrics about country - its just fun.

Self reflection: I am apparently missing the gene that places a lot of value on ritualistic and symbolistic trappings. I understand that a lot of people do...and I dont fault or belittle that sentiment.
just saying good luck getting americans to adopt a song by an english band as a national anthem. Why not just go with Boys Don't Cry
[Reply]
ModSocks 12:03 PM 07-01-2022
And well, duh, of course:

[Reply]
ModSocks 07-01-2022, 12:05 PM
This message has been deleted by ModSocks.
Kiimo 12:06 PM 07-01-2022
At first I thought you were talking about Robert Smith and I was going to react poorly
[Reply]
bdj23 12:06 PM 07-01-2022
Rock n Roll part 2
[Reply]
Spott 12:07 PM 07-01-2022
I didn’t realize that the the full national anthem is actually 4 times as long as the one we are used to hearing until Rain Man mentioned the third verse. Is the full national anthem played elsewhere?
[Reply]
bdj23 12:08 PM 07-01-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
I didn’t realize that the the full national anthem is actually 4 times as long as the one we are used to hearing until Rain Man mentioned the third verse. Is the full national anthem played elsewhere?
You've never heard..... ah, never mind I'll just get banned for bringing politics into a fun thread.
[Reply]
bringbackmarty 12:10 PM 07-01-2022
Anthem is fine, the standing and singing of god bless america at baseball games is stupid though. You only have to stand and remove your hat for the National anthem.
[Reply]
Spott 12:11 PM 07-01-2022
Originally Posted by BDj23:
You've never heard..... ah, never mind I'll just get banned for bringing politics into a fun thread.
Lol, don’t get the thread booted. I figured maybe it was played at military bases or something like that.
[Reply]
bdj23 12:13 PM 07-01-2022
Originally Posted by Spott:
Lol, don’t get the thread booted. I figured maybe it was played at military bases or something like that.
There was a big stink about it a few years back but I'll leave it at that.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:26 PM 07-01-2022
I care so little about what the national anthem is or isnt that i have no opinion on this mattah
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 12:29 PM 07-01-2022
Originally Posted by bringbackmarty:
You only have to stand and remove your hat for the National anthem.
No, you don't have to.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 12:45 PM 07-01-2022
Anthem is fine, the standing and singing of god bless america at baseball games is stupid though. You only have to stand and remove your hat for the National anthem.
I think this is the right take. I can support this.

Or maybe I just have a soft spot for folks with dog pictures.
[Reply]
SuperChief 12:54 PM 07-01-2022

You know how fitting this is.
[Reply]
Rain Man 12:58 PM 07-01-2022
So far in the poll, people seem to be pretty satisfied with the current anthem.

But wouldn't you prefer to see something more rockin' for our anthem? I want other countries to look at us and say, "Wow, they're rich, technologically advanced, and they're having fun doing it."

Maybe we go with something like "Walking on Sunshine".
[Reply]
tyecopeland 01:11 PM 07-01-2022
Didn't know that was constitutional.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up