ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Multiple fatalities reported in Missouri train derailment
TLO 04:01 PM 06-27-2022
CNN

There are multiple fatalities and at least 50 people who were injured after an Amtrak train derailed Monday in Missouri, Eric McKenzie, the superintendent with Chariton County Ambulance Service, told CNN.

Amtrak said in a statement the train collided with a truck at a public crossing near the city of Mendon at about 1:42 p.m. CT.

Eight cars and two locomotives left the track “after striking a truck that was obstructing a public crossing near Mendon, Missouri,” company officials said in an updated statement.

Contra Costa Sheriff deputies investigate the scene after an Amtrak train collided with a vehicle in Brentwood, Calif., on Sunday, June 26, 2022. (Jose Carlos Fajardo/Bay Area News Group via AP)
Amtrak train collides with vehicle at California intersection without crossing arms, killing three
Amtrak had said earlier that there were approximately 243 passengers and 12 crew members onboard the train.

Cpl. Justin Dunn, a spokesperson for Missouri State Highway Patrol Troop B, said authorities are still trying to ascertain the number of fatalities. The train hit a dump truck, he added.

A school has been turned into a triage center for victims with minor injuries, he said.
[Reply]
NinerDoug 04:11 PM 06-27-2022
Damn. Bad one.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:18 PM 06-27-2022
Terrible news. Prayers for all the dead and injured.
[Reply]
kstater 04:26 PM 06-27-2022
3 confirmed dead, would suspect that will climb

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Jerok 04:34 PM 06-27-2022
So an idiot dump truck dude was parked on the tracks? That pisses me off.
[Reply]
notorious 04:36 PM 06-27-2022
I'm looking at a map of Mendon, and it was possibly a grain truck/semi on the tracks. There is a lot of Ag around there, and wheat harvest is in full swing.

That would be like hitting a 40-50 ton boulder.

There weren't any crossing arms that I could see, just open crossings. Tracks run southwest/northeast.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 04:38 PM 06-27-2022
Originally Posted by Jerok:
So an idiot dump truck dude was parked on the tracks? That pisses me off.
It looks like a non-light RR crossing that are prevalent in rural areas. You have to be diligent and always look both ways to make sure you are clear before crossing. This can happen when crops are taller, but this looks as though the guy was hauling rock and didn't see the train and the timing is so hard to fathom...
[Reply]
Dunerdr 04:39 PM 06-27-2022
Jesus i was literally trying to plan a train trip to a game for me and the wife. Never thought of this. T's and P's to those involved this is sad.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 04:51 PM 06-27-2022
If it was a quarry truck, Amtrak will have a new business. The vehicle that gets hit gets sued into oblivion for eternity
[Reply]
Perineum Ripper 05:18 PM 06-27-2022
Growing up in this area, I know there are tons of open crossings. To fields, rock roads, houses, all kinds of things that have no lights.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 05:45 PM 06-27-2022
Some of these crossings are steep humps. A loaded truck would need a bit of a run at the tracks

Edit: yes, Grand River a couple miles west, Missouri river 10 miles south. Probably a flood zone with tracks on levees in places
[Reply]
srvy 05:45 PM 06-27-2022
If you're a waterfowler Mendon is near Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge. The town is really small BNSF nor Amtrak slow for much pretty much highballing till Marceline Walt Disney's birthplace. I have worked on that line for BNSF between Marceline and Bucklin. They are highballing and its very dangerous we have to have a Railroad safety employee that has communication with the trains and where they are to get track time to foul the tracks. When he tells you to clear the tracks he means it. They are hauling balls and Amtrack with fewer cars is really bringing it.

Mostly Soybeans and corn crops in that area of the derailment. Corn could be pretty tall with the rains to obstruct views I suppose.
[Reply]
notorious 05:53 PM 06-27-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:
If you're a waterfowler Mendon is near Swan Lake National Wildlife Refuge. The town is really small BNSF nor Amtrak slow for much pretty much highballing till Marceline Walt Disney's birthplace. I have worked on that line for BNSF between Marceline and Bucklin. They are highballing and its very dangerous we have to have a Railroad safety employee that has communication with the trains and where they are to get track time to foul the tracks. When he tells you to clear the tracks he means it. They are hauling balls and Amtrack with fewer cars is really bringing it.

Mostly Soybeans and corn crops in that area of the derailment. Corn could be pretty tall with the rains to obstruct views I suppose.
Ah, so they don’t have much wheat out there.

Out here it turns into thunder dome during wheat, corn, and milo harvest.
[Reply]
TribalElder 06:34 PM 06-27-2022
Outlaw dump trucks
[Reply]
kstater 06:46 PM 06-27-2022
Originally Posted by srvy:

Heard on radio that speed limit for trains in that area is 90

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 1 of 5
1 2345 >
Up