ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 41 of 171
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:29 PM 03-02-2018
If I can find the time, there appears to be 3 mini-series worth binging in the upcoming month

Looming Tower - based on the Pulitzer Prize winning narrative of the intelligence failures between FBI and CIA leading up to 9/11

Flint Town - eyes on the street catalog of time spent in Flint MI with all it's present problems

Perhaps most intriguing - Wild Wild Country - documentary retrospective, using archival footage and current interviews regarding the controversy of the Commune/Cult of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh in Oregon in the early 1980s.

Hoping to find some definitive reviews before I get too deep into any particular one, just to find it doesn't live up to expectations.

Starting Looming Tower tonight [first 3 eps up].
[Reply]
rocknrolla 07:16 AM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
That Waco finale... Wow.
Liked the series, wish they would had gone a little deeper into Koresh. How he funded everything, how many guns they had.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:41 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by eDave:
That Waco finale... Wow.
don't spoil it for me please :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:49 PM 03-04-2018
Caught the first 3 of Looming Tower, and first 2 of Flint Town.

Looming Tower is a little sterile. Maybe I already know too much of the story they're telling. Maybe I'm distracted by the performers, so I can't get into the storytelling. Find myself mostly critiquing the product, the narrative decisions, the cinematic choices, more than experiencing it.

Flint Town is both traditional and immediate. It's about what you'd expect from a documentary of a city in crisis that focuses on the beat cops and the political landscape. A lot of it is like a cinematic version of COPS crossed with Errol Morris, with voiceovers narrating over cinematically framed details such as a cop staring down the road as he drives to a scene, or with fly-on-the-wall footage of city councilmen or officers shooting the shit or preparing for session. It's immediacy is setup by covering the logistical preparations for the Clinton/Sanders Dem debate, as well as a searing bit with the officers on scene of a young teen shot randomly in the middle of a blizzard. It also centers on the change in administration in Flint, which brought on a new police chief, with all that entails.
It will catch you choking up with sadness and desperation in some moments, and with optimism and redemption a moment later.
[Reply]
rocknrolla 11:15 AM 03-06-2018
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Caught the first 3 of Looming Tower, and first 2 of Flint Town.

Looming Tower is a little sterile. Maybe I already know too much of the story they're telling. Maybe I'm distracted by the performers, so I can't get into the storytelling. Find myself mostly critiquing the product, the narrative decisions, the cinematic choices, more than experiencing it.

Flint Town is both traditional and immediate. It's about what you'd expect from a documentary of a city in crisis that focuses on the beat cops and the political landscape. A lot of it is like a cinematic version of COPS crossed with Errol Morris, with voiceovers narrating over cinematically framed details such as a cop staring down the road as he drives to a scene, or with fly-on-the-wall footage of city councilmen or officers shooting the shit or preparing for session. It's immediacy is setup by covering the logistical preparations for the Clinton/Sanders Dem debate, as well as a searing bit with the officers on scene of a young teen shot randomly in the middle of a blizzard. It also centers on the change in administration in Flint, which brought on a new police chief, with all that entails.
It will catch you choking up with sadness and desperation in some moments, and with optimism and redemption a moment later.

I finished Flint Town, very sad to see there are people so passionate about this town that been shit on for decades. Yet the greedy politicians are the ones keeping that place in the shitter. Some nights they only have 4 squad cars on the streets, that is insane for one of the top 10 crime ridden towns.
[Reply]
keg in kc 04:48 PM 03-07-2018
For no reason I can think of I started watching Hap and Leonard on Netflix today. About to finish season 1. So far a good show. I think season 3 starts tonight on Sundance.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 05:00 AM 03-16-2018
Perhaps most intriguing - Wild Wild Country - documentary retrospective, using archival footage and current interviews regarding the controversy of the Commune/Cult of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh in Oregon in the early 1980s.
Drops tonight.

Bunch of early 80s boomer hippies radicalizing in Oregon. Should be a rush.
[Reply]
Nickhead 03:26 AM 04-03-2018
Originally Posted by Nickhead:
it's called 'what would sal do', i'm five ep's in of 8, imagine a slightly smarter ricky from the trailer park boys, now make him the second coming of christ :-)

third party hosted site, use at your own risk:

http://chan131.so/watch-tv/what-would-sal-do

ETA: this show was really good. it takes the most vulgar of situations to its fullest extent, and ends with a morality tale. funny as fuck, defo like TPB in humor regards. it does a good job of mixing drama and humor as the series progresses. will be curious how the next season goes now. :-)
this new season on netflix if funny as (almost) ever... really good season. lahey, RIP, was as great as ever!!! :-)

bubbles: the beer guy says we can maybe earn 90 grand this year. (ricky, julian, bubbles)

ricky: get the fuck out

bubbles: this means we can all make 30 grand this year

ricky: holy fuck boys we are set for life

:-)
[Reply]
sully1983 04:17 AM 04-03-2018
Legion (Season 2) premieres tonight. Can't wait
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:09 AM 04-12-2018
Get in on this early, started last Sunday. Very promising

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/killing-eve
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:51 PM 04-12-2018
Get in on this early, started last Sunday. Very promising

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/killing-eve
channel?
[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:11 PM 04-12-2018
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
channel?
BBC America
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:37 PM 04-22-2018
Watched Season 4 of Bosch. I have to say again how much I like this show.

I'm not into police procedurals and I'm not a fan of Titus Welliver but this show is fucking good. Both on the cop side and the Titus Welliver performance.

It really got to me

Spoiler!

The one thing that was kind of WTFish was

Spoiler!

[Reply]
SAGA45 08:25 AM 04-23-2018
Anybody watch Bosch on Amazon? This one of the best written , most realistic cop shows I've ever seen. I just finished a binge of Season 4.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:57 AM 04-23-2018
Originally Posted by SAGA45:
Anybody watch Bosch on Amazon? This one of the best written , most realistic cop shows I've ever seen. I just finished a binge of Season 4.
It's literally the post above you, dawg. :-)

In other news, I had Troy: Fall of a City on while I was in the office. It isn't particularly good. The Theatrical one with Brad Pitt several years ago got lambasted because Pitt mailed it in. This is worse. They managed to make every character a sniveling cunt. I think they were trying to make the characters struggle with the weight of their actions. It fell flat and was poorly acted overall. The action was bleh, except for a few cool things Achilles did (none of which were in the Hector fight BTW).

I mean, yeah. Helen of Troy had magnificent cans, but I don't recommend this one.
[Reply]
Page 41 of 171
« First < 313738394041 424344455191141 > Last »
Up