ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers
Eleazar 12:54 PM 03-07-2023
Jets in talks with Packers, Aaron Rodgers, sources say

The New York Jets have had conversations with the Green Bay Packers and with quarterback Aaron Rodgers this week regarding a potential trade of the four-time MVP to the Jets, according to sources.

The sources said some of those conversations were expected to take place Tuesday, but that it's unclear as of Tuesday morning whether they will result in a trade.

Rodgers still has not made any announcements about what he intends to do this season. It's still possible he decides to retire, or to stay in Green Bay. But if he still wants to play and he and the Packers agree it's time for him to play somewhere else, the Jets appear to be a realistic option.

If the Jets are speaking directly with Rodgers, they and he would have had to secure the Packers' permission, as he is still under contract with Green Bay. So, the discussions Rodgers is having with the Jets indicate at least some openness on the part of the Packers to the idea of trading him there.

But there are potential complications to a deal, including Rodgers' huge and complicated contract, that might have to be addressed to make sure both teams would be in compliance with the salary cap by the start of the league year next Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

Rodgers is under contract through 2024 for $108.8 million. Technically, the contract, signed last March, runs through 2026, but 2025 and 2026 are considered "dummy" years for cap purposes. His deal includes a fully guaranteed $59.5 million this season, with $58.3 million coming in the form of an option bonus, payable before the start of the regular season.

Because his bonus money is prorated, Rodgers wouldn't hobble the Jets' cap. He would count $15.8 million in 2023 and $32.5 million in 2024, cap-friendly for a player of his stature.

The Packers would get hit with a $40.3 million "dead" charge in 2023 -- nearly $9 million more than he'd count if he were on the roster.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...rs-sources-say
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:34 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Well, it's also partly based on what seems to be an absolute home run of a draft class they got in 2022. Had the ROYs on both offense and defense and both kids seem like they'll be massive different makers at incredibly important positions going forward.
This is true.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 02:02 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by Mecca:
And they hired Nathaniel Hackett who is literally installing Rodgers offense.
Hackett isn't anything special but is a huge upgrade over the dumb Lafleur brother they had as OC last year.
[Reply]
Crush 02:03 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Who the fuck is Craig Carton?
He’s Craig from Craig’s List.
[Reply]
tredadda 03:48 PM 03-30-2023
Originally Posted by penguinz:
They won 7 games in 2022 with third string level QB play. If Rogers plays at any level above average they will win that division.
We shall see. Miami looks improved if Tua stays healthy and the Bills are still good. Jets will be good, but they still might not win the AFCE.
[Reply]
Rainbarrel 05:18 PM 03-30-2023
People still want to believe in the Jets. Ain't that sweet
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:39 AM 04-13-2023
Current price is a 2023 2nd and 2024 1st, with the Packers giving something conditional back in 2025 if Rodgers retires after one year. Jets understandably aren't going for that.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:42 AM 04-13-2023
:-) so apparently they had a deal almost completed but the '90% retired' comment Rodgers made on McAfees show scared Woody Johnson off of giving high capital.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:54 AM 04-13-2023
What a mess that dude is
[Reply]
FloridaMan88 07:55 AM 04-13-2023
The Favre trade to the Jets didn't happen until August 7th in 2008.

God help us all if this Aaron Rodgers drama drags out that long.
[Reply]
scho63 08:18 AM 04-13-2023
If I were the Jets, after no Super Bowls since 1969, I would go ALL in on one of these two:
1. Trade for Lamar Jackson and have him run less. I think he can return big for the Jets with more victories, more fans in the stands and more value to your org.
2. Trade up to the 3rd pick with the Cards and go for a QB.

I have NO idea why they keep wasting time with Rogers. What a clusterfuck that is, just as expected.

Dude is the most temperamental douche the NFL has ever seen.
[Reply]
Wisconsin_Chief 08:25 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by scho63:
If I were the Jets, after no Super Bowls since 1969, I would go ALL in on one of these two:
1. Trade for Lamar Jackson and have him run less. I think he can return big for the Jets with more victories, more fans in the stands and more value to your org.

I have NO idea why they keep wasting time with Rogers. What a cluster**** that is, just as expected.

To be fair, Rodgers hasn't really been the cause of any of this. He immediately made it known he wanted to play for the Jets and didn't waste anyone's time. This is on the Packers front office for being clueless idiots (which they have been for years) and thinking they have some kind of leverage here when they have absolutely none whatsoever.

Rodgers could certainly come out and commit to playing for 2 more years, but it's not really his problem to make Woody Johnson feel better about the situation. I actually agree though about Jackson. Not sure why they wouldn't be taking a look at him. Seems Johnson got dead set on Rodgers and there's no turning back now.
[Reply]
Gravedigger 08:39 AM 04-13-2023

I have NO idea why they keep wasting time with Rogers. What a cluster**** that is, just as expected.

I don't think you can sell the second option to fans after Zach Wilson. Trading draft capital you don't really have to trade up and hopefully the projected third or fourth QB in this draft ends up better than Zach Wilson, Trey Lance or Justin Fields, which is almost the same spot you found yourself in two years ago. You couldn't evaluate with Zach Wilson so as a fan I'd rather you go get Aaron Rodgers, because two years ago you failed to get the guy, now you're picking the third or fourth best guy with the likely potential for it to blow up in your face. If that happens for the second time in two years, yikes.
[Reply]
tredadda 09:08 AM 04-13-2023

I have NO idea why they keep wasting time with Rogers. What a clusterfuck that is, just as expected.

Yeah I see problems with both scenarios.

1. Jackson would put people in the stands for sure, but running him less is going to be tricky. A huge part of his game is built around running. It helps mask his limitations as a passer. Plus I question if he is two first rounders and largest guaranteed contract ever good. If the Jets were in the NFC then that trade might make more sense. In the AFC? I just don't know as I don't see him making them good enough to overcome a KC or Cincinnati.

2. That will be tough. There are only two "safe" QBs in this draft in Young and Stroud. They probably go #1 and #2. That means at #3 their options would be Richardson and Levis. After the Wilson disaster I do not think they have the coaching to develop one of those two.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:11 AM 04-13-2023
The only way I could see the Jets moving up for a QB is if they somehow get rid of Wilson in the deal. I guess you could try and package him with picks to Arizona but why the fuck would they want another shitty QB to go with the one they have?

Out of the 3 options, the Jets are making the right move. The Packers are just being greedy fucks.
[Reply]
staylor26 09:26 AM 04-13-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
The only way I could see the Jets moving up for a QB is if they somehow get rid of Wilson in the deal. I guess you could try and package him with picks to Arizona but why the fuck would they want another shitty QB to go with the one they have?

Out of the 3 options, the Jets are making the right move. The Packers are just being greedy fucks.
I don't know man, from everything reported this morning, it sounds like they had a deal in place, Rodgers made his comment about being 90% sure about retirement, and Woody Johnson got scared.

Packers reportedly were/are even willing to give something back in 2025 if Rodgers retires after one season, but the Jets said no.

Seems like it's the Jets holding this thing up now.
[Reply]
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Up