ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 101 of 172
« First < 5191979899100101 102103104105111151 > Last »
Media Center>Must Watch Series
Buehler445 08:54 AM 04-26-2012
All this talk about series, how network TV Sucks, and how hard it is to find quality shows, and some excellent shows that fly under the radar, I need a comprehensive review of all the series I need to see.

For good entertainment, I would be willing to buy DVD sets. But I've recently picked up HBOGO by kiping it from my parents, and recently got Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Here is a listing of shows that I currently own or have seen all the episodes of. If it isn't on the list, just assume I haven't seen it.

Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows that I'm currently watching
Spoiler!

Here is a listing of shows on my list to watch (mostly due to this thread)
Spoiler!

I work a fuckton, so it is hard for me catch a series while it is on to get it on the DVR, but I recognize the entertainment value and am willing to go after the Must See shows. Accordingly, I'm not necessarily looking for anything that is still running. I'm up for watching stuff that has run its course.

So what say you, Planet? Which shows should I see?

UPDATED for the shows I've seen recently.
[Reply]
TwistedChief 06:32 PM 02-02-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I watched Boardwalk Empire on the recommendation of Twisted Chief.

It’s worth the time if you have HBO for something else.

It does a LOT of things well. It manages a lot of personalities well. It does the period stuff awesome. Which I’m a total goober for. It mixes in some historical characters pretty well, and IMO does a really nice job with Lucky Luciano and Capone on later seasons. Also
Spoiler!

It had some pretty compelling characters. Richard Harrow was probably the best performed. Chalky was another one that just killed it.

It’s not perfect. It misses the mark on some stuff. About the middle of Season 3, goddamn everybody is unlikable and it became a tougher watch but pulled it back up and let you root for people again.

All in all it was a good one. Thanks Twisted.
Chalky and Arnold Rothstein. Valentine Narcisse. Great characters.

Glad you enjoyed, man. I've considered a rewatch of that one but there's so much else to get through.

Is Ted Lasso a must-see, guys? I don't know why but I so very much prefer binge watching dramas over comedies. E.g., I recognize the brilliance of Schitt's Creek but it still seems too saccharine to plow through in binge fashion.
[Reply]
Buehler445 07:07 PM 02-02-2022
Originally Posted by TwistedChief:

Glad you enjoyed, man. I've considered a rewatch of that one but there's so much else to get through.

Is Ted Lasso a must-see, guys? I don't know why but I so very much prefer binge watching dramas over comedies. E.g., I recognize the brilliance of Schitt's Creek but it still seems too saccharine to plow through in binge fashion.
I like Lasso. But I fully expected to HATE THAT SHIT. But it does a lot of things right. Some of the funny stuff they got right, most of the feels-y stuff hits you in the feels.

S2 is worth the watch, but some of the funny stuff missed, but worth the watch IMO.

It's a light watch, but it tackles some fairly ambitious goals but manages not to get out over it's skis. It's not lifechanging, but after I binged S1, it stuck with me for awhile.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:07 PM 02-02-2022

I enjoyed Season 1, Season 2 not so much. Really falls into what I would call saccharine.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:20 AM 02-04-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
This COULD actually be brilliant, first premise is Arnett is an investigator who always gets assigned celebrities as sidekicks who are 'doing research' for a role, . . . second premise is, the celebrities go into the scene with no direction except be yourself and go with it. Could be a trainwreck, could be a masterpiece.

It's an adaption of a popular show Murder in Successville on BBC, you can track down so clips of it to get a flavor of what's the what.

just watched the entire series tonight :-)

it's like improv 'CLUE', and the character breaks remind me of 'Mrs. Brown's Boys'

really good :-)
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:17 AM 02-04-2022
THREE WEEKS

[Reply]
ModSocks 04:45 PM 02-04-2022
My wife picked the last show for us to watch and she picked this:

Holy fuck did it suck. I mean.....ooooof it was bad. My wife didn't finish the series. I did, only because it was so laughably bad i just had to see if it could get worse.

It did.

It's been a long time since i've seen a series so poorly written. Avoid this shit at all costs.
[Reply]
Pepe Silvia 06:20 PM 02-04-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Someone involved with that show is a musical and cultural SAVANTE. Capturing moods and eras with just the right touches and choices without being satirical or snarky. . . I mean a totally Xmas morning appropriate . . . Marlboro Miles SWEATSHIRT fer chrissakes?!?!? Genius

And whomever cast the younger versions of the Gemstone clan knocked it out of the effing PARK!! It almost seems like a spinoff of just the teens showing how the adults came to be how they are would work in it's own right.

EDIT - for those who skipped the credits, you missed an awesome credit music song [part of why I made the musical savante remark above], leaving it here for posterity . . . It's been in my head ALL WEEK.

Spoiler!
Interesting backstory with Woodstock, it is a catchy old tune for sure. I also like the whistling cowboy instrumental that plays regularly throughout the series like when Baby Billy was bunking for the night.
[Reply]
unlurking 08:02 PM 02-04-2022

[Reply]
eDave 10:07 PM 02-04-2022
I'm binging Roman Empire on Netflix. Best Roman history show I've seen. I love Roman history. That Claudius fella was shrewd af.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:24 AM 02-05-2022
Originally Posted by eDave:
I'm binging Roman Empire on Netflix. Best Roman history show I've seen. I love Roman history. That Claudius fella was shrewd af.
LOVED that one.

I was legit teary eyed at the end.

If you like Roman history, check out the History of Rome Podcast. They are like 20 minute episodes of super light and easy listening and it rolls through the entirety of Rome. I'm not all the way through it, but it is really fucking good. And the manner in which he explains it makes it really easy to keep all the fuckers with the same names/changed names/weird names separate.
[Reply]
scho63 06:32 AM 02-05-2022
Congratulations!

You are the FIRST and ONLY person in the 20+ year CP history to use the word: saccharine :-)
[Reply]
meleknistra 08:18 AM 02-05-2022
New season of Ozark finally started
[Reply]
TwistedChief 03:38 PM 02-05-2022
Originally Posted by meleknistra:
New season of Ozark finally started
It's crazy good. That show keeps humming.

Gomorrah season 5 now on HBO Max.
[Reply]
HemiEd 06:36 PM 02-05-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
My wife picked the last show for us to watch and she picked this:

Holy **** did it suck. I mean.....ooooof it was bad. My wife didn't finish the series. I did, only because it was so laughably bad i just had to see if it could get worse.

It did.

It's been a long time since i've seen a series so poorly written. Avoid this shit at all costs.
I had to bail on that one pretty quick.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:10 PM 02-05-2022
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
I had to bail on that one pretty quick.

Were you guys aware this is a satire series?
[Reply]
Page 101 of 172
« First < 5191979899100101 102103104105111151 > Last »
Up