ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 62 of 3903
« First < 12525859606162 63646566721121625621062 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Three7s 08:26 AM 03-07-2020
Someone literally called this thing "the flu on steroids" yesterday. Yeah, it's spreading fast, but by no means is this that big of a deal as long as you aren't old and with an underlying health condition.

Just do what you should be always doing as far as proper hygiene and you'll be fine. Shoot, even if you do get it, you likely won't get anything more than mild flu-like symptoms.
[Reply]
patteeu 08:35 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by Three7s:
Someone literally called this thing "the flu on steroids" yesterday. Yeah, it's spreading fast, but by no means is this that big of a deal as long as you aren't old and with an underlying health condition.

Just do what you should be always doing as far as proper hygiene and you'll be fine. Shoot, even if you do get it, you likely won't get anything more than mild flu-like symptoms.
There are a lot of old people and people with underlying health issues in this country. It's up to everyone to take this seriously for them, even if the threat to you personally is low.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 08:38 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by njchiefs:
Media driven. They love this crap. Hysteria is ratings money. Two hour special on NBC last night. With intense dramatic music in the background, worthy of an Oscar. Woofer booming, floor shaking, with the little spiked corona ball dancing all over the screen. Just wash your hands folks, call your doc when you feel sick and get on with your lives.
Yeah im sure you would be saying the same thing if you got the Coronavirus or one of your family members did.
[Reply]
Mennonite 08:39 AM 03-07-2020

This is very good advice. However, you forgot to mention that you should also remember to cough directly in the face of every old person you meet for maximum effect.
[Reply]
notorious 08:50 AM 03-07-2020
Better keep an eye out for Trashcan Man and the Walking Dude.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 09:04 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by notorious:
Better keep an eye out for Trashcan Man and the Walking Dude.
M-O-O-N that spells captain trips
[Reply]
Eleazar 09:39 AM 03-07-2020

Screw those old people anyway, amirite
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:53 AM 03-07-2020
First two deaths in Florida from the virus.
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 10:09 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Yeah im sure you would be saying the same thing if you got the Coronavirus or one of your family members did.
If the asymptomatic spread continues to be up to a couple weeks it unfortunately won’t be surprising if almost everyone ends up knowing someone who dies from this — just depends really on if the summer/warmer weather stops it and if we can have a vaccine at the start of the next flu season. Containing it is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 10:28 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
If the asymptomatic spread continues to be up to a couple weeks it unfortunately won’t be surprising if almost everyone ends up knowing someone who dies from this — just depends really on if the summer/warmer weather stops it and if we can have a vaccine at the start of the next flu season. Containing it is pretty much a lost cause at this point.
Yep. Very concerned for my parents, my in laws, and my grandma, who lives with my parents. I work in a school, all 110 of my students are pretty much walking Petri dishes of sickness so I’m happy how resilient children have been - and with how tested my immune system is I’m ready to take it on.

I like how Seattle’s schools are staying open so parents (healthcare workers and emergency responders) can stay working and children stay in a safe and monitored environment. We can get through this together.
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 10:39 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Why in the **** does the President keep saying anyone can get a test? Just go to your Doctor or ER?

We have only tested 1800 people in the USA so far. There are not millions of kits, yet. It just gives everyone a false sense of security. Wastes doctors and the ER’s time telling them no, we don’t have the testing kits.

And must importantly, everyone doesn’t need a damn test.

And they only sent 300 test kits to the cruise ship off the coast of California. Only 300 were tested. There are 3500 people on the ship.
Because it is so... you may want to check how many test each kit can do, as a country, we may also need to reevaluate how much of our Medical supplies are manufactured in China...
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 10:42 AM 03-07-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
First two deaths in Florida from the virus.
old people

Originally Posted by :
The Florida Department of Health said Friday evening that the two patients who died were in their 70s and had traveled overseas. One of them was a man with underlying health issues in Santa Rosa County, in Florida’s Panhandle, according to the statement. It said the second death was that of an elderly person in the Fort Myers area.

[Reply]
suzzer99 11:44 AM 03-07-2020
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ts?CMP=soc_567

Originally Posted by :
Victorian health authorities are trying to contact about 70 patients of a Melbourne doctor who was diagnosed with coronavirus a week after returning from the US.

The doctor is the state’s 11th case of the novel coronavirus and the state health minister, Jenny Mikakos, said he attended work and treated patients after he was symptomatic.

“I have to say I am flabbergasted that a doctor that has flu-like symptoms has presented to work,” Mikakos said.

“He became unwell with a runny nose on an internal flight from Denver to San Francisco on February 27, US time, then flew to from San Francisco to Melbourne on United Airlines flight UA60, arriving at approximately 9.30am Saturday 29 February.”

The doctor saw approximately 70 patients last week between Monday 2 March and Friday 6 March at the Toorak Clinic on Malvern Road. The clinic has been since closed.

[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:52 AM 03-07-2020
480,000 deaths? :-)

American Hospital Association "Best Guess Epidemiology" for #codiv19 over next 2 months:

96,000,000 infections
4,800,000 hospitalizations
1,900,000 ICU admissions
480,000 deaths

vs flu in 2019:

35,500,000 infections
490,600 hospitalizations
49,000 ICU admissions
34,200 deaths pic.twitter.com/GDAADwmg4n

— Seth Bannon ��*�� (@sethbannon) March 7, 2020

[Reply]
suzzer99 11:57 AM 03-07-2020

I think most people aren’t aware of the risk of systemic healthcare failure due to #COVID19 because they simply haven’t run the numbers yet. Let’s talk math. 1/n

— Liz Specht (@LizSpecht) March 7, 2020

Here's another thread that supports that scary exponential growth hypothesis. I think we're really just hoping warm weather slows this things down, or obsessive hand-washing, or some other factor they're not considering. Like they said - even if their assumptions are way off - it just slows things down a couple weeks. That's how exponential growth works as anyone who's ever done a petri dish experiment can attest.

Of course it doesn't help slow the spread that a large chunk of the population still thinks this is no big deal.

By the way I started following the people who were predicting exponential growth outside of China over a week ago and if anything they've been slightly under the cases we're seeing. The # of new cases are doubling roughly every 6 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...LBVT6O2RNI42TI

Originally Posted by :
Italy on Saturday reported 1,247 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the country’s biggest daily increase in infections since the outbreak began there in late February.
And that 1247 is just among those tested. The real number is several times higher.
[Reply]
Page 62 of 3903
« First < 12525859606162 63646566721121625621062 > Last »
Up