ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 519 of 3903
« First < 19419469509515516517518519 52052152252352956961910191519 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:52 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
They still aren’t testing everyone showing signs...

Buddy’s mom is still in isolation and no test. Since Monday
Honestly - it isn't even necessary YET to be able to test everyone showing signs because ultimately as soon as you're showing signs right now you're sent to self-isolate anyway.

The answer to the test result (for the symptomatic anyway) is largely irrelevant. They're treating the symptoms on the go either way.

When it WILL be vital is after we can find an verify an effective course of therapeutic care, especially in early-onset cases. At THAT point catching it on day 3 vs. waiting to see what it's doing by day 8 is enormous. If we can catch it on day 3 by testing people as soon as they show signs, that allows us to shorten the runway on the disease, keep people out of critical beds and get them out of the hospital quicker to ease capacity issues.

I know it's frustrating for people to not know. And probably frustrating for scientists and academics as well. But the real world impact of not having a roaring test setup right now probably isn't critical.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 11:52 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
My wife mentioned off-hand at a wedding in 2014 that I was going thin on top. I had no idea, and always bought into the "mom's dad" line of genetic bullshit.

I immediately ran into the bathroom and started trying to take pics of the top of my head. I scrolled through the unfocused, shaky images like they were frames from Zapruder's camera.

"It's just a cowlick," I told myself. My aunt, who owns a salon, said the same.

She was lying, and I was in denial for about 18 months. I figure after we get through all this shit I'll just keep it buzzed. No point in treating a Tyler Palko hairline like it's Mahomes.
Just use rogaine.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:53 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
Volume of tests are being done in hot spots, since the CDC and FDA got out of the way there have been over a million test kits shipped. Processing them on the back end has increased dramatically.
So, one million have shipped. That doesn't really help the other 348 million that haven't been tested.

No one knows were we are in terms of infection due to the lack of tests available. ER's in California will not administer a test unless the patient is showing advanced symptoms, which virtually eliminates everyone else.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:53 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Hammock Parties:
Just use rogaine.
Tried it. Didn't do dick.

Mine wasn't balding in the back, though - just getting super-thin in the front. Like Hamas, I denied it for a year until I came back from a trip to Mexico and looked at pictures of me in a pool.

"Who's that balding fuck standing with my kid? And when did he get fat?"
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 11:54 AM 03-20-2020
Just use rogaine.
Too messy, and really only temporary. Didn't want to use Propecia , either. I have a general rule that you don't fuck with hormones.
[Reply]
Talisman 11:55 AM 03-20-2020
No point in treating a Tyler Palko hairline like it's Mahomes.
:-)
[Reply]
Monticore 11:56 AM 03-20-2020
My wife mentioned off-hand at a wedding in 2014 that I was going thin on top. I had no idea, and always bought into the "mom's dad" line of genetic bullshit.

I immediately ran into the bathroom and started trying to take pics of the top of my head. I scrolled through the unfocused, shaky images like they were frames from Zapruder's camera.

She was lying, and I was in denial for about 18 months. I figure after we get through all this shit I'll just keep it buzzed. No point in treating a Tyler Palko hairline like it's Mahomes.
I too am follicularly challenged, but with a large mole in the back and a dent in the front my burr hole surgery I can't go full Kojak.so I am in between a pebble and a larger pebble.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:57 AM 03-20-2020
Volume of tests are being done in hot spots, since the CDC and FDA got out of the way there have been over a million test kits shipped. Processing them on the back end has increased dramatically.
Which has ALWAYS been the choke point and why internal development of a scaleable test state-side was so critical.

Processing was going to be a nightmare if we adopted any of tests available. We simply didn't have some of those necessary reagents and our labs weren't set up to run those tests well.

A ton of credit so due to some very smart people for recognizing what HAD to be done over a relatively short time-frame rather than what could be done immediately in front of them. The focus on developing our own tests that could be processed using abundant materials (or none at all) and automated through existing lab capacity was vital. It will be an incredible tool in our arsenal going forward.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:57 AM 03-20-2020
Well, chloroquine and hydrochloroquine now completely out of stock. We're gonna find out pretty damn soon if this is working.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:59 AM 03-20-2020
I wouldn’t doubt it, testing capacity isn’t a problem anymore. People need to move off that talking point. The USA is testing more people per day now than any country. Hence the spike in infection.
Yes, it is. My friend has multiple, obvious symptoms. She has underlying conditions that make her vulnerable. She cannot get a test. Things are better but we are nowhere near testing enough.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 12:00 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Well, chloroquine and hydrochloroquine now completely out of stock. We're gonna find out pretty damn soon if this is working.
Heard some absolute horror stories about plastic surgeons, dermatologists and other providers calling in huge scripts for their families, claiming they all had RA, which is not only not within their scope of practice, but ridiculous given that you only need 12 tabs for a course of treatment per some of the literature.
[Reply]
BWillie 12:01 PM 03-20-2020
Just use rogaine.
I don't think it helps the front of your head, does it? Just the crown.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 12:02 PM 03-20-2020
This patently false.

Only people that are showing advanced symptoms are receiving the tests, so we have no idea how many are asymptotic or are in the early stages of the disease.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:02 PM 03-20-2020

male pattern baldness is carried on the X chromosome. You cannot inherit from your father, as he had to give you a Y. Your mother could have given you the X from her father or her mother. It's still a crap shoot.

Additionally, there are other factors that can cause hair to thin, but the "mother's father" thing isn't bullshit. It's just not the whole story.
[Reply]
TLO 12:03 PM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Let us hope/pray/wish... whatever form you choose, that it works.
[Reply]
Page 519 of 3903
« First < 19419469509515516517518519 52052152252352956961910191519 > Last »
Up