ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 510 of 3903
« First < 10410460500506507508509510 51151251351452056061010101510 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Dartgod 09:12 AM 03-20-2020
So how exactly does a factory that makes cars transition to making ventilators?
[Reply]
Monticore 09:13 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
GM and Ford in White House talks to make ventilators for pandemic patients

General Motors and Ford are in talks with the White House about using vacant car factories to manufacture breathing equipment to help the US tackle the growing number of coronavirus cases, the companies said on Wednesday. The discussions, which echo talks in Britain between the government and carmakers about ventilator production, show the lengths governments are going to in order to secure or manufacture sufficient devices to treat the most seriously ill, as the number of cases continues to balloon worldwide. Some carmakers have questioned whether their plants would be suitable to produce such equipment, given the requirements of medical precision, as well as the need to obtain certification to produce such instruments.

Ford said it stood ready “to help the administration in any way we can . . . We have had preliminary talks with the US government and are looking into the feasibility”. The move comes hours after GM and Ford, along with Fiat Chrysler, announced an unprecedented shutdown of all North American facilities in an effort to contain the spread of the disease.

“[GM chief executive] Mary Barra was in contact with the administration today to provide an update on the decision to suspend production,” said a GM spokesman. “She also indicated GM is working to help find solutions for the nation during this difficult time and has offered to help, and we are already studying how we can potentially support production of medical equipment like ventilators.”

Ms Barra’s statement follows comments by Larry Kudlow, the director of the National Economic Council, that he had spoken to the heads of two of the big three US carmakers, and they were willing to offer their plants for production of breathing apparatus.

https://www.ft.com/content/d4aa9916-...d-da70cff6e4d3
Isn't there also the issue of having enough people to use them. not sure how long it would take to train nurses/doctors to be able to run them.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 09:13 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Indeed 10 people and counting have been booted out of the thread so far. Putting that into context, I believe 9 were in the first few days, one yesterday. Overall people have done a great job keeping it non political, and I tip my hat to them, but there are still a few seeing how far they can push their luck. It's a great thread, so if you want to stick around, please play by the rules.
I am trying to add humor. That is all I've got.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:14 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
no idea. i work so i dont get all the press conferences...

but i know in the past "small business" is classified as having 100 employees.

not the guy who has 4.
When I think of a "small business", I'm thinking they are local shops with maybe 20 people. Bars, restaurants, auto shops, air con, drywall hangers etc with less than 20 employees.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:14 AM 03-20-2020
No context, means nothing at all. How do I even know that this is a recent picture?
It was taken yesterday.
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:15 AM 03-20-2020
When I think of a "small business", I'm thinking they are local shops with maybe 20 people. Bars, restaurants, auto shops, air con, drywall hangers etc with less than 20 employees.
well then you are once again thinking wrong, at least as far as anything thats happened in the past
[Reply]
DaFace 09:16 AM 03-20-2020
So how exactly does a factory that makes cars transition to making ventilators?
I'm assuming it's mostly about having the assembly line and labor in place. I can't imagine you could stand it up instantly, but I don't really have a feel for how universal some of the machinery is. If they're using a lot of generic machines and just printing out new molds or whatever, it's possible they could get up and running in a week or two.
[Reply]
stevieray 09:16 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by penguinz:
It was taken yesterday.
Just so you know,, those are Bradley APCs, not tanks.

M1 Abrams are almost double that size.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:17 AM 03-20-2020
Got some new figures from my RT buddies

• We have 7600 licensed Respiratory Therapists in the USA
  • Lets say they work 8 hours a day with no days off for 2 months. 3 shifts.
  • Around 2533 RT's available in the USA to run vents in our hospitals on any given shift.
  • We usually run 3-4 ventilators max at a time. Lets double that to 6-8 vents at a time in this time of crisis.
  • In the USA, our capacity to have trained and licsensed staff to run ventilators at the same time is 20,264
  • We have more than 20,264 of us needing vents at the same time.... decisions on safety will need to be made by someone.
And in my experience, you don't want about 20% of those RT's running your families ventilator.
Originally Posted by Monticore:
Isn't there also the issue of having enough people to use them. not sure how long it would take to train nurses/doctors to be able to run them.
I just posted the numbers one page back.

Doctors cant run them, they are too busy. There is a reason Respiratory Therapists run them and not nurses. You need a lot of specific training to not damage peoples lungs while on the vent.
[Reply]
Monty 09:18 AM 03-20-2020

The patients are going to possibly get every bug in the hospital. You don't have to work in the medical field to figure out whats going to happen due to a lack of PPE. More people are going to die that didn't need to if we don't get PPE into hospitals.
My DIL is an ER Nurse and is freaking out over the lack of PPE. 3 kids at home ages 5 and under with a 5 month old baby. She's just resigned herself to the fact that it's not if but when she gets infected.
[Reply]
Monty 09:20 AM 03-20-2020
Yep, 25 or less is accurate. :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 09:20 AM 03-20-2020
It's kind of funny scrolling through multiple pages of this thread day after day. It's pretty obvious after a couple of weeks of this who the people are that focus on the worst-case scenario (after I while, I just scroll on by because it's always some random niche story that isn't necessarily applicable to the world) and the people who focus on the best-case scenario (who largely don't understand what they're talking about).
[Reply]
ReynardMuldrake 09:20 AM 03-20-2020

I hadn't seen this posted yet.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:22 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
well then you are once again thinking wrong, at least as far as anything thats happened in the past
It was just my opinion on what as "small business" is to me. Not what is a legally defined "small business" by the IRS or the Congress.
Originally Posted by Monty:
Great minds thinks alike?:-)
[Reply]
SAUTO 09:23 AM 03-20-2020
Originally Posted by Monty:
ummm the SBA classifies it as 500 or less...up to 1500 in some industries.

i should know, there have been things ive not qualified for over the years due to not having enough employees
[Reply]
Page 510 of 3903
« First < 10410460500506507508509510 51151251351452056061010101510 > Last »
Up