ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 6 of 17
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
scho63 04:57 PM 10-13-2021
I watched as much as I could and it was NOT close to funny.

It was an old bitter black guy spewing political bullshit on everyone other than black people.

Where was the "comedy"?
[Reply]
A Salt Weapon 07:35 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Schulz is one of the biggest comedians in the country right now and has kept doing those same type of jokes. He makes those same type of jokes weekly on his podcasts. Those jokes are what got him his Netflix series earlier this year.
I looked him up and watched some of his stuff today. Holy shit lol dude is awesome.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 09:47 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You’re talking about people that are established. They’ve been here long before the woke bullshit, so they can do what they want as long as they don’t go overboard.
I don't know man, it just seems like you keep moving the goalposts by adding more and more qualifiers when I give you examples of why you're wrong.

Originally Posted by :
I’m talking about younger comedians. Have you heard from them what it’s like to try and tell jokes at a college campus nowadays?
I'm pretty sure comedians have been saying this about college campuses for the last decade. There may even be some truth to that, but so what? Who gives a shit about what college students think? They don't determine what is socially acceptable or who gets "cancelled".

Originally Posted by :
Also, what about how they are doing stuff like removing offensive episodes of classic TV series like The Office?
They didn't play one episode of the show during a TV marathon. I disagree with that decision but it's being made by one network exec and it's not the end of comedy.

Originally Posted by listopencil:
Louis CK had no homophobic material. He remained ridiculously objective about homosexuality and lampooned it as part of the human experience.
I'm referring to the many homophobic slurs he has used over the years. People didn't really care and he didn't get cancelled until sexual assault allegations surfaced.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:32 PM 10-13-2021
You can’t sit here and tell me that woke culture hasn’t ruined comedy when there’s no way something like Tropic Thunder would ever come out in today’s climate.

That wasn’t just any network censoring The Office. It was literally Comedy Central.

Roseanne got kicked off of her own show for making a hilarious comparison that had nothing to do with race.

[Reply]
sully1983 10:41 PM 10-13-2021
It seems like all we have left is South Park (when it comes to a legit funny/politically incorrect hilarious show that is overall consistent & reliable ) . Major kudos to Trey Parker & Matt Stone for never apologizing for any of their jokes and also major respect to them for always being so hands on with their show (my friends and I have been huge fans ever since it aired in 1997 when we just became teenagers. Been loyal viewers ever since) Sure some of their episodes may miss the mark (no one is perfect) but for the most part they are still killing it and making millions of people laugh (that is not an easy task at all) I love how they don't give a flying ****. No one is safe from them and nothing is off limits either.
I look forward to see what they do moving forward (lord knows they have plenty of stuff to choose from to mock & make fun of)
[Reply]
vonBobo 10:54 PM 10-13-2021
You can’t sit here and tell me that woke culture hasn’t ruined comedy when there’s no way something like Tropic Thunder would ever come out in today’s climate.
Can't do blackface anymore so comedy is ruined? You have your head buried in the sand and then stomping your feet about there is no sky. Get over yourself and go support a venue or a comedian that you like.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:58 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
Can't do blackface anymore so comedy is ruined? You have your head buried in the sand and then stomping your feet about there is no sky. Get over yourself and go support a venue or a comedian that you like.
No, it’s not about “being able to do blackface”. That’s an oversimplification.

It’s about people being so fucking stupid that they miss the joke entirely in favor of a reactionary emotional response. No different than how people are reacting to Chapelle’s special.

That was easily one of the greatest comedic performances of the last 20 years.

If woke culture can prevent great comedy like that from existing, yes it is absolutely ruining it.
[Reply]
Bump 10:59 PM 10-13-2021
history has proven you can only get away with it under 2 conditions.

1. You're a democrat
2. You're a shill for the democrats
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 11:39 PM 10-13-2021
I'm starting to think your brain is just mush with you pulling all of this shit out of your ass. Tropic Thunder was hilarious but wildly overrated by people who have an odd history of defending blackface.

Originally Posted by :
That wasn’t just any network censoring The Office. It was literally Comedy Central.
Way more potentially offensive content gets shown on that network on a daily basis so who cares if somebody decided to pull one episode of the show one time? Let me know when it becomes a pattern and I'll be complaining right alongside you.

Originally Posted by :
Roseanne got kicked off of her own show for making a hilarious comparison that had nothing to do with race.
Nah, any reference to a black person to a monkey / ape is pretty shitty and anybody with a slight amount of self awareness would realize that. Then she had the nerve to blame it on Ambien. Fuck that lady.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:59 PM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
I'm starting to think your brain is just mush with you pulling all of this shit out of your ass. Tropic Thunder was hilarious but wildly overrated by people who have an odd history of defending blackface.

Way more potentially offensive content gets shown on that network on a daily basis so who cares if somebody decided to pull one episode of the show one time? Let me know when it becomes a pattern and I'll be complaining right alongside you.

Nah, any reference to a black person to a monkey / ape is pretty shitty and anybody with a slight amount of self awareness would realize that. Then she had the nerve to blame it on Ambien. Fuck that lady.
Yea, you’ve pretty much disqualified yourself from this conversation. Not that I ever believed you had a sense of humor anyways.

Why wait for there to be a pattern? “Diversity Day” is easily one of the funniest episodes. Michael’s Chris Rock impersonation scene might be my favorite scene in the entire series, and it’s at the very least top 3.

As for the Roseanne thing, that lady doesn’t even look black, so there goes that dumb excuse too. The picture I posted makes it incredibly obvious what she meant, and it’s clearly not about race. She legitimately looks like that character.

Of course you’re low key siding with the offended crowd on all of these issues while claiming to be on the side of comedy though.
[Reply]
vonBobo 11:59 PM 10-13-2021
No, it’s not about “being able to do blackface”. That’s an oversimplification.

It’s about people being so ****ing stupid that they miss the joke entirely in favor of a reactionary emotional response. No different than how people are reacting to Chapelle’s special.

That was easily one of the greatest comedic performances of the last 20 years.

If woke culture can prevent great comedy like that from existing, yes it is absolutely ruining it.
It's on Netflix. And you're still stomping your feet.
[Reply]
vonBobo 12:01 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Bump:
history has proven you can only get away with it under 2 conditions.

1. You're a democrat
2. You're a shill for the democrats
How is that conservative comedy coming along? Alex Jones going to build you a safe place?
[Reply]
staylor26 12:06 AM 10-14-2021
It's on Netflix. And you're still stomping your feet.
That clearly wasn’t my point. And nobody is stomping their feet.

I said a move like that wouldn’t be made in today’s climate. The point is that people are too scared to cross those lines these days, and that’s what comedy is all about.
[Reply]
vonBobo 12:17 AM 10-14-2021
That clearly wasn’t my point. And nobody is stomping their feet.

I said a move like that wouldn’t be made in today’s climate. The point is that people are too scared to cross those lines these days, and that’s what comedy is all about.
Welp, Dave certainly knew what he is doing, pushing that line., Just like always, it's what comedians do.

And how great has this pub been for both Dave and Netflix, it will trend high for months on their pie charts. It's almost like the outrage about the outrage could be all part of the ticket, enjoy the show!
[Reply]
Bump 01:15 AM 10-14-2021
How is that conservative comedy coming along? Alex Jones going to build you a safe place?
can't dispute it. Northam and Kimmel. 1 is a dem politician and 1 is a shill and they got away with it.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 17
« First < 23456 7891016 > Last »
Up