ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
staylor26 11:42 PM 10-12-2021
And you’re right, Chapelle’s Netflix specials haven’t been that funny at all actually. Why? Because they’re either him going at the LGBTQ mob, or him going full BLM.

That’s a perfect example of the problem. Back when Chapelle was good, identity politics hadn’t infected comedy and everything else.

There’s a reason there’s so much woke trash in comedy, movies, television, music etc. and nobody outside of woke cult members likes it.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 11:58 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by Snopes Hammer:

Nick Di Paolo. Dennis Miller. Tim Allen. Greg Gutfeld (he's KILLING it right now). Owen Benjamin.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 12:02 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea, all of the comedians that talk about what it’s done to comedy are just full of shit. You obviously know more than they do!
Is it lost on you that you hear them air their grievances on their Netflix specials or the podcasts they get paid millions of dollars to produce on Spotify?

Even Bill Maher's hugely liberal audience will clap for his weekly anti-PC rants. People on the left and right love vulgar, offensive comedy if it's done right. And I'm not just talking about stand up either. South Park and Family Guy are created by white guys and they make fun of everything including things many people would find offensive or distasteful (racial stereotypes in particular). Why haven't they been cancelled? They certainly haven't toned down their comedy in recent years in response to this new paradigm that you are so convinced exists.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 12:08 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
And you’re right, Chapelle’s Netflix specials haven’t been that funny at all actually. Why? Because they’re either him going at the LGBTQ mob, or him going full BLM.

That’s a perfect example of the problem. Back when Chapelle was good, identity politics hadn’t infected comedy and everything else.

There’s a reason there’s so much woke trash in comedy, movies, television, music etc. and nobody outside of woke cult members likes it.
I think all of Chappelle's recent stuff has been relatively weak, but not because of "identity politics". Were you even a fan of his before the last few years? Racial comedy was what he was known for.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:09 AM 10-13-2021
Cancel culture is fucking absurd and people that whine about comedians being any of the "-ists" or "-phobics" need to be hit with a brick.

I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of The Office. I guess it's too beloved by a lot of the people that love to be offended and so they ignore the misogyny, "racist jokes", and "fatphobia".

Trans people literally need to just shut the fuck up and laugh about this. When did people stop being able to laugh at themselves. It's ridiculous.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:10 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Is it lost on you that you hear them air their grievances on their Netflix specials or the podcasts they get paid millions of dollars to produce on Spotify?

Even Bill Maher's hugely liberal audience will clap for his weekly anti-PC rants. People on the left and right love vulgar, offensive comedy if it's done right. And I'm not just talking about stand up either. South Park and Family Guy are created by white guys and they make fun of everything including things many people would find offensive or distasteful (racial stereotypes in particular). Why haven't they been cancelled? They certainly haven't toned down their comedy in recent years in response to this new paradigm that you are so convinced exists.
You’re talking about people that are established. They’ve been here long before the woke bullshit, so they can do what they want as long as they don’t go overboard.

I’m talking about younger comedians. Have you heard from them what it’s like to try and tell jokes at a college campus nowadays?

Also, what about how they are doing stuff like removing offensive episodes of classic TV series like The Office?
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:14 AM 10-13-2021
I can't believe so many on the left refuse to see that transgender people are mentally ill. If they feel the need to change their sex, well ok then go ahead and cut off that willy, but goddamn am I sick of hearing that "insert transgender person" is a man stuck in a woman's body or vice versa.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 02:37 AM 10-13-2021
I didn't find it particularly funny, but it was smart, courageous, and compelling, which ironically comedy critics were hailing as the new benchmarks for showcase standup specials when that Nannette TED-talk mishegas hit a year or so ago.

He didn't say things in the way I would, or take the stances I would personally, and I would offer suggestions on different approaches or punchlines, . . . if I were asked, . . but I'm not and neither are the critics, which is the point.

People seem to shift their metrics from moment to moment depending on what part of the role of audience they want to extend into something more powerful.

It wasn't the funniest, or his funniest, I've seen. But it did have some chuckle moments. More importantly, considered as a whole he clearly put passion and effort into expressing his perspective as best he could. Critics will poo-poo the notion of courage because 'he's rich and insulated.' But that presumes that his motivation in doing this particular show in this particular way was just to flex his personal power. But he already had the power and the money [including the pay for this special itself], and he could have put just about anything out, and he chose to take on the criticisms leveled at him and address them calmly, comprehensively and compellingly.
[Reply]
Nickhead 02:59 AM 10-13-2021
he is a combination of pryor, carlin, williams, and katt. i am certain i am missing some other names.
[Reply]
Dayze 06:51 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Cancel culture is ****ing absurd and people that whine about comedians being any of the "-ists" or "-phobics" need to be hit with a brick.

I can't believe they haven't gotten rid of The Office. I guess it's too beloved by a lot of the people that love to be offended and so they ignore the misogyny, "racist jokes", and "fatphobia".

Trans people literally need to just shut the **** up and laugh about this. When did people stop being able to laugh at themselves. It's ridiculous.
we have an entire generation of professional victimms; attention seeking sociopaths; because they want to get clicks on whatever social media platform / get 'likes' when the post stupid videos and commentary.

Everyone thinks they're special and thinks they have some ground breaking viedo clip or opinion on something.
[Reply]
LOCOChief 07:08 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Maybe, but I was refuting staylor's point that only a straight black man can get away with it. Which like a lot of what he says-is completely wrong. You don't need to be black, just extremely popular. Burr is another one that might be able to pull this off.

Edit: I'd also add Amy Schumer to this list. She could pop off about alphabets and could weather the storm.
^^^ want schumer???? Are you Amy Schumer. My god your stupid
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:18 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by listopencil:
I enjoyed that more than his original TV show.
Really depended on the guest. Some shows were really outstanding, others really sucked.

I will say that I like Seinfeld much better after watching the show. I felt it allowed his intelligence and humanity to shine. His standup is fine, and the original TV show was fine as well, the better parts weren't Seinfeld himself.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:21 AM 10-13-2021
You clearly don't get the joke.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:24 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Seinfeld is retired you asshole. If a white christian conservative made those jokes they would be cancelled and people like you would be at the front of the line
Originally Posted by jettio:
Is that a genre of comedy?
The "white christian conservative" comic doesn't have an audience large enough for anyone to give a shit what they say.
FYI - look up some of Pete Holmes' work, and narratively he covered some of in in his series Crashing too.

Not my cup of tea, but the clean comic circuit is just as real as the chitlin circuit was [and still is to an extent], or the college comic circuit.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 07:27 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Those were funny. That was back when Amy was skinny-and kinda hot.
Originally Posted by alpha_omega:
I don’t remember, but this has to be wrong, right??
probably the best view of this was the credits for her Comedy Central skit show. She ironically had already started puffing up by the time they started filming actual episodes.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 10
< 1234 5678 > Last »
Up