ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:27 PM 10-12-2021
Perhaps someday people in charge will understand that Twitter mobs mean nothing and addressing anything they say is beyond a simple telling them to shove it is pointless.
[Reply]
jettio 08:48 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
Seinfeld is retired you asshole. If a white christian conservative made those jokes they would be cancelled and people like you would be at the front of the line
Is that a genre of comedy?
[Reply]
jettio 08:56 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Burr isn't '**** you' wealthy from what I can tell. But he also doesn't seem to really give a shit about the trappings of wealth/celebrity either.

If he got cancelled tomorrow, it sure seems like he has enough money to live how he wants to live for the rest of his life. Or at least keep his head down for a few years before he started taking television gigs like Breaking Bad again.

Burr probably has about $10 million socked away, which will keep him just fine for as long as he needs to be. It ain't Seinfeld money, but for a guy like him it doesn't need to be.
I think he has more money than that. His podcast probably makes a decent check. I was thinking of seeing his show at Starlight last month and Starlight website had it sold out well before the show. If he sells out 8,000 seat venue, that would be decent paycheck.

I think he is later in life husband and father of young kids, so he is motivated to work for a while.
[Reply]
Snopes Hammer 09:48 PM 10-12-2021
Seinfeld is retired you asshole. If a white christian conservative made those jokes they would be cancelled and people like you would be at the front of the line
The "white christian conservative" comic doesn't have an audience large enough for anyone to give a shit what they say.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 09:51 PM 10-12-2021
Just finished it

Mixed review. Great first half. Kucked for tranniies late
[Reply]
-King- 09:58 PM 10-12-2021
What? S Taylor was right if Chapelle was white he would have been cancelled. You didnt watch the stand up

[Reply]
staylor26 10:26 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
Yea that is totally the same as a Netflix special when you’re Dave Chapelle :-)

I like Andrew Schultz, but he wouldn’t dare do what Chapelle did on that platform. He’s nowhere near that big, therefor not really on the mob’s radar. If he went on Netflix and did that now though? They go after the big fish hardest like Chapelle and Hart.

The woke mob doesn’t care about an old video from Andrew Schultz right now. That’s only relevant if he blows up and is doing that shit after, or they decide to dig that video up.
[Reply]
staylor26 10:28 PM 10-12-2021
Speaking of him, I’d actually say Andrew Schultz will probably never be able to be that big because everybody knows he’s willing to cross those kinds of lines. Kind of like Patrice O’Neal was too.

You don’t even get to blow up if they can’t control you.

He’d have to completely sell out then apologize for it 10 years later when they dig it up like Kimmel or Fallon while pledging full loyalty to the woke cult.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 10:59 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Speaking of him, I’d actually say Andrew Schultz will probably never be able to be that big because everybody knows he’s willing to cross those kinds of lines. Kind of like Patrice O’Neal was too.

You don’t even get to blow up if they can’t control you.

He’d have to completely sell out then apologize for it 10 years later when they dig it up like Kimmel or Fallon while pledging full loyalty to the woke cult.
Louis CK had all kinds of incredibly homophobic material that you could easily find online and is one one of the most successful comics to ever exist. In fact, basically all of the most successful comics over recent decades have done material that pushed boundaries and many found offensive. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 11:07 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by Snopes Hammer:
The "white christian conservative" comic doesn't have an audience large enough for anyone to give a shit what they say.
Norm MacDonald
[Reply]
fan4ever 11:20 PM 10-12-2021
I like Chapelle but he's always got a thing or two that I don't particularly care for so I have a choice; watch or don't watch. It would never occur to me to try and have him, or any comedian for that matter, cancelled. I think you have to be comic phobic to behave that way.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:22 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
Louis CK had all kinds of incredibly homophobic material that you could easily find online and is one one of the most successful comics to ever exist. In fact, basically all of the most successful comics over recent decades have done material that pushed boundaries and many found offensive. As usual you have no idea what you're talking about.
Yea, because even just 5 years ago, comedy wasn’t in the state that it currently is.

Do you seriously not see what woke bullshit has done to comedy?
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan27 11:35 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea, because even just 5 years ago, comedy wasn’t in the state that it currently is.

Do you seriously not see what woke bullshit has done to comedy?
These controversies have made Netflix, Dave Chappelle, and a few other comics crying about how they're 'censored' a lot of money. Aside from that, nothing really has changed.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:36 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan27:
This controversy has made Netflix, Dave Chappelle, and a few other comics crying about how they're 'censored' a lot of money. Aside from that, nothing really has changed.
Yea, all of the comedians that talk about what it’s done to comedy are just full of shit. You obviously know more than they do!
[Reply]
Snopes Hammer 11:40 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by Ninerfan11:
Norm MacDonald

I am not a conservative and have never been a conservative in my life. But I do know this. Everyone is lying.

— Norm Macdonald (@normmacdonald) March 15, 2017

[Reply]
Page 3 of 10
< 123 4567 > Last »
Up