ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 17
< 12 345612 > Last »
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>Dave Chapelle's "The Closer": He Fucking Roasts Everyone
AdolfOliverBush 11:30 AM 10-12-2021
Of course comedy is subjective, but I loved it. Chappelle absolutely does not give a rat's ass about backlash for his words. Comedy should be without limits. I think even us maniacs in CPDC who watch it will mostly give it a thumbs up.

Netflix chief Ted Sarandos defends controversial Dave Chappelle special in staff memo: Reports
Jenna Ryu
USA TODAY

Netflix co-CEO Ted Sarandos is defending his decision to keep comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial special "The Closer" on the streaming service.

In a Friday staff memo obtained by Variety and The Verge, Sarandos pledged Netflix's commitment to the special, despite backlash about the comedian's transphobic comments. "Chappelle is one of the most popular stand-up comedians today, and we have a long standing deal with him," Sarandos wrote in Chappelle's defense.

He continued: "As with our other talent, we work hard to support their creative freedom – even though this means there will always be content on Netflix some people believe is harmful, like 'Cuties,' '365 Days,' '13 Reasons Why,' or 'My Unorthodox Life.' "

Chappelle drew criticism for his comments in the special about the transgender community, including his defense of author J. K. Rowling, who previously conflated sex with gender and defended ideas suggesting that changing one's biological sex was a threat to her own gender identity.

"They canceled J.K. Rowling – my God," Chappelle said. "Effectually she said gender was a fact, the trans community got mad as (expletive), they started calling her a TERF… I'm Team TERF. I agree. I agree, man. Gender is a fact."

TERF is an acronym that stands for "trans exclusionary radical feminists" and describes feminists who are transphobic.

In the memo, Sarandos used Chappelle's previous special "Sticks & Stones" as an example, writing that it was also "controversial" and "our most watched, stickiest, and most award winning stand-up special to date."

USA TODAY has reached out to Netflix for comment.

Netflix CEO Ted Sarandos defended comedian Dave Chappelle's controversial comedy special, "The Closer." Sarandos also said Netflix doesn't believe that "The Closer" promotes hate speech.

"Several of you have also asked where we draw the line on hate. We don’t allow titles on Netflix that are designed to incite hate or violence, and we don’t believe 'The Closer' crosses that line," he said.

"I recognize, however, that distinguishing between commentary and harm is hard, especially with stand-up comedy which exists to push boundaries. Some people find the art of stand-up to be mean-spirited but our members enjoy it, and it’s an important part of our content offering."

"The Closer," the sixth installment in the comedian's Netflix deal, which the "Chappelle's Show" comedian describes as "his last special for a minute," includes tongue-in-cheek jokes about race, the coronavirus pandemic and negotiating "the release of DaBaby" after the rapper's homophobic comments.

Many on social media slammed Chappelle and the streaming platform, including writer Jaclyn Moore, who also serves as showrunner for Netflix's "Dear White People."

In-depth story:How trans 'Harry Potter' fans are grappling with J.K. Rowling's legacy after her transphobic comments

"I've been thrown against walls because, 'I'm not a "real" woman,' " Moore, who is transgender, tweeted. "I've had beer bottles thrown at me. So, @Netflix, I'm done."

Advocacy group GLAAD responded to the memo Monday.

“Netflix has a policy that content ‘designed to incite hate or violence’ is not allowed on the platform, but we all know that anti-LGBTQ content does exactly that," GLAAD said in a statement. "While Netflix is home to groundbreaking LGBTQ stories, now is the time for Netflix execs to listen to LGBTQ employees, industry leaders, and audiences and commit to living up to their own standards.”

Last week, the group tweeted that Chappelle's brand "has become synonymous with ridiculing trans people and other marginalized communities."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...ts/6094754001/
[Reply]
mkp785 01:14 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
If people haven't watched Seinfeld's comedians in cars getting coffee show, he makes it pretty clear he is no fan of political correctness in comedy, or of cancel culture in general.
^^^^ this x 1000%

That show is hilarious too.
[Reply]
mkp785 01:17 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
It was okay.

Chappelle is one of my all time favorites and this wasn't close to some of his best stuff. A lot of it was edgy for edgy's sake. There were some genuinely funny moments in there but it veered a little too far into the Hannah Gatsby zone of just preaching and whining and then staring at the crowd until they laugh.

There was some genuine insight and 'subversive' humor here and there, but nothing that will be remembered in 6 months. And honestly, I'm not even sure what the controversy is supposed to be. Was there anything in there really more subjectively offensive than Lisa Lampenelli or Amy Schumer's bits on black dudes? Plenty of comedians have said far worse.

One thing I was happy to see - guy just looked healthier. His first 'return' special was almost sad to see. The material was better but he just looked old and exhausted. The energy was down and I was really worried about the guys health. I'd like to see this version of him re-run that material. I haven't seen it in a few years, but my memory is that it was better than this one.
Those were funny. That was back when Amy was skinny-and kinda hot.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:18 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by Hawker007:
Maybe, but I could see Bill Burr getting away with it because he just doesn't give a fuck, and then ultimately turns their wokeness/cancel culture into more of his comedy routine.
Burr isn't 'fuck you' wealthy from what I can tell. But he also doesn't seem to really give a shit about the trappings of wealth/celebrity either.

If he got cancelled tomorrow, it sure seems like he has enough money to live how he wants to live for the rest of his life. Or at least keep his head down for a few years before he started taking television gigs like Breaking Bad again.

Burr probably has about $10 million socked away, which will keep him just fine for as long as he needs to be. It ain't Seinfeld money, but for a guy like him it doesn't need to be.
[Reply]
mkp785 01:30 PM 10-12-2021
Burr isn't '**** you' wealthy from what I can tell. But he also doesn't seem to really give a shit about the trappings of wealth/celebrity either.

If he got cancelled tomorrow, it sure seems like he has enough money to live how he wants to live for the rest of his life. Or at least keep his head down for a few years before he started taking television gigs like Breaking Bad again.

Burr probably has about $10 million socked away, which will keep him just fine for as long as he needs to be. It ain't Seinfeld money, but for a guy like him it doesn't need to be.
Funny thing is that Jerry isn't even the richest person on the show. The chick who played Elaine could've done the whole thing for free and could still buy and sell Seinfeld many times over. Julie Louis Dreyfus's family worth is well into the billions.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:46 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by mkp785:
Funny thing is that Jerry isn't even the richest person on the show. The chick who played Elaine could've done the whole thing for free and could still buy and sell Seinfeld many times over. Julie Louis Dreyfus's family worth is well into the billions.
My memory is that is something of a myth.

She inherited some small pieces of the business and some assets from her father, but they divorced when she was quite young and he had other children from his second marriage. Most of her worth comes from her career, IIRC.

If Seinfeld isn't a billionaire, he's awfully close. I don't think Julia Louis-Dryfus can hang there.
[Reply]
mkp785 01:55 PM 10-12-2021
My memory is that is something of a myth.

She inherited some small pieces of the business and some assets from her father, but they divorced when she was quite young and he had other children from his second marriage. Most of her worth comes from her career, IIRC.

If Seinfeld isn't a billionaire, he's awfully close. I don't think Julia Louis-Dryfus can hang there.
It's not her, but her all of her family that I was trying to highlight. Her dad yes was very wealthy but her uncle I believe owned Adidas till he sold it a few years back. She has another family member that was or maybe still is a member of Congress as well.

Not that I'm taking away from her. She's a great comedian in her own right. I don't know if you saw the Comedians in Cars episode she had with Jerry but it was very good.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:10 PM 10-12-2021
It's not her, but her all of her family that I was trying to highlight. Her dad yes was very wealthy but her uncle I believe owned Adidas till he sold it a few years back. She has another family member that was or maybe still is a member of Congress as well.

Not that I'm taking away from her. She's a great comedian in her own right. I don't know if you saw the Comedians in Cars episode she had with Jerry but it was very good.
I've tried to watch it a couple times. I even tried watching it on edibles once.

Never got into it. I don't really like Seinfeld, to be honest. Didn't like the show, find the comedian to be a bit grating.

Seinfeld is really up its own ass. And none of the characters are remotely redeemable. And as someone who's watched it primarily in syndication, it's a really damn repetitive show when you watch 2-3 episodes in a sitting for a week (thanks again, college...)

And the comedian just seems like a rich guy telling jokes as a hobby so it's hard to create the sort of forced perspective that makes for good stand-up.

I didn't find it to be Schitt's Creek levels of "Seriously - you people are pulling my leg, right? This shit isn't funny...." but I can't get to where others are with it. Maybe I just didn't see the right episodes or something.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 05:29 PM 10-12-2021
…..That was back when Amy was skinny-and kinda hot.
I don’t remember, but this has to be wrong, right??
[Reply]
sully1983 05:47 PM 10-12-2021
Trumpers must be torn here. On the one hand they love that he's bashing the gheys and who can pee in what bathroom. On the other hand he's.......you know.

Clowntaylor already proving my point.
lol what? Dude its YOUR side that wants Chapelle canceled. Did you see how offended and appalled the creator of Dear White People was? (hilariously ironic considering that person has a show making fun of a race of people but outraged over some stand up jokes about trans people) lol
Your side is a full on freak show of trannys , femanazis , unhinged lunatics , limp wrist "men" and overly emotional pussies that get offended by anything and every thing. :-)

Its literally no contest.

Conservatives, Moderates, Independents, normal sane thinking people etc are all supporters of free speech.
[Reply]
sully1983 05:51 PM 10-12-2021
I've seen Chapelle in live in person doing a stand up gig way back when he had his Comedy Central show. He was of course hilarious as hell and I'm happy for all of his success.

Screw all these activists and liberal protesters that are so easily offended. Go find a safe space you left wing pussies .
[Reply]
tredadda 07:40 PM 10-12-2021
I've tried to watch it a couple times. I even tried watching it on edibles once.

Never got into it. I don't really like Seinfeld, to be honest. Didn't like the show, find the comedian to be a bit grating.

Seinfeld is really up its own ass. And none of the characters are remotely redeemable. And as someone who's watched it primarily in syndication, it's a really damn repetitive show when you watch 2-3 episodes in a sitting for a week (thanks again, college...)

And the comedian just seems like a rich guy telling jokes as a hobby so it's hard to create the sort of forced perspective that makes for good stand-up.

I didn't find it to be Schitt's Creek levels of "Seriously - you people are pulling my leg, right? This shit isn't funny...." but I can't get to where others are with it. Maybe I just didn't see the right episodes or something.
I have seen Jerry's stand up routines before and they just weren't that funny. Now I loved Seinfeld though, but after watching that and Curb Your Enthusiasm, I wonder if Larry David was more responsible for and the driving force behind Seinfeld's success.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 07:45 PM 10-12-2021
Chappelle is cool. I'll take Patrice O'Neal or Norm over him ALL DAY.
[Reply]
Ninerfan11 07:45 PM 10-12-2021
Trumpers must be torn here. On the one hand they love that he's bashing the gheys and who can pee in what bathroom. On the other hand he's.......you know.

a blithering imbecile.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:52 PM 10-12-2021
I watched this a few nights ago and it was great. I am not an easy laugher and he got me going. The guy always delivers.
[Reply]
listopencil 07:55 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
If people haven't watched Seinfeld's comedians in cars getting coffee show, he makes it pretty clear he is no fan of political correctness in comedy, or of cancel culture in general.
I enjoyed that more than his original TV show.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 17
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up