ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Patteeu Memorial Political Forum>New Airport Follies
HonestChieffan 07:32 AM 10-01-2021
https://www.kmbc.com/article/officia...t-kci/37797330

KANSAS CITY, Mo. —
A billion-dollar deal lasting 15 years is up against a deadline and the city council is nowhere close to a decision. Elected officials walked out of the committee meeting over concessions at the newly redesigned Kansas City International airport.

Second District Councilmember Teresa Loar says they don’t yet have enough information to agree to such a large commitment.

"Why would we vote on a 15-year billion-dollar contract and we haven't even looked at the proposals?” Loar said.

The councilwoman says the bids are kept in a locked room and most city council members haven't seen them. A fellow second district councilmember, Dan Fowler, doesn’t agree.

"I think it was open, anybody who wanted to could go look at it,” Fowler said.

Councilman Fowler is the only elected official on the selection committee.

The committee selected a proposal from Vantage Airport Group.

“They had a better minimum annual guarantee than the others,” Fowler said.

He likes their financial promise to the city and says their model is good for companies.

“His payment is $24,000 a month, every month. All year long,” Loar said.

The councilwoman says the four other proposals are better because they license local products and give small businesses the income.

“A lot of businesses don't like the idea of just licensing their product because they lose control over it,” Fowler said.

The other issue at the meeting was determining which brands best represent Kansas City.

"One of the proposals had the Kansas City Chiefs in it, which was an exclusive,” Loar said.

It's not Vantage's proposal.

"I want the place to scream Kansas City,”

Some councilmembers likely wanted to scream as the meeting lost quorum and ended early this evening. While everyone appears to have the same goals, there's no consensus yet on what that looks like.

The full city council is set to vote on the contract next Thursday.


Chik-fil-A has beeen put on the list of the banned .......This will scream Kansas City to everyone who comes through for sure....everybody hates CFA and will love KC for being so exclusive.

lots of palms get greased in a deal like this, it takes time.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 10:01 AM 10-01-2021
The concept of a chain restaurant representing, or not representing, a city that's not it's home city is wonderfully interesting and completely reasonable. And it's a sign of human brilliance that such a notion would be something for politicians to talk about when deciding what should go into an airport complex.
[Reply]
HC_Chief 10:09 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
That's because they are both much, much larger than KC and have multiple options.
And yet they always have the longest lines. Anyone who has gone there also knows that is not due to lack of efficiency
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 10:12 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
The concept of a chain restaurant representing, or not representing, a city that's not it's home city is wonderfully interesting and completely reasonable. And it's a sign of human brilliance that such a notion would be something for politicians to talk about when deciding what should go into an airport complex.
It's Kansas City politics: lots of Chicago-esque corruption.
[Reply]
F150 10:47 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by cosmo20002:
Seems kind of stupid to even consider ChikFilA for an airport location if they are closed on Sundays.
No one eats at CFA anyway....right?
[Reply]
petegz28 11:05 AM 10-01-2021
Here's the thing......Kansas City is a suck airport, new or old. We aren't a hub. You need chain restaurants because locals won't have the money to to deal with the low traffic.
[Reply]
ClevelandBronco 11:06 AM 10-01-2021
Chick-Fil-A will survive all the bans, and will thrive in part due to the bans.
[Reply]
notorious 11:11 AM 10-01-2021
Obviously some of you guys don't travel.

Chick-Fil-A is in a lot of large airports. :-)

And guess what........their lines are always BY FAR the longest, yet they pump the food out at an impressive rate.

Stop your hating.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:23 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It's Kansas City politics: lots of Chicago-esque corruption.
Other cities have pulled the same stunt. It's stupid and self-defeating. They cost themselves money to make a non-point.




Originally Posted by notorious:
Obviously some of you guys don't travel.

Chick-Fil-A is in a lot of large airports. :-)

And guess what........their lines are always BY FAR the longest, yet they pump the food out at an impressive rate.

Stop your hating.

Exactly. But it's more important to make a non-point than to make money, and please the people, by having a popular restaurant in the airport.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:25 AM 10-01-2021
And this is bullshit relating to ****ing eateries.

Imagine how much graft was involved in giving the real big money contracts to the likes of those connected to Mayor Q and the rest of the civic 'government'.
[Reply]
Bowser 11:29 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
It's Kansas City politics: lots of Chicago-esque corruption.
Oh this town has made its own reputation over the years, have no doubt.

But yes, agreed.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:32 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
And this is bullshit relating to ****ing eateries.

Imagine how much graft was involved in giving the real big money contracts to the likes of those connected to Mayor Q and the rest of the civic 'government'.

I live in Massachusetts nowadays. Compared to here, y'all are pikers when it comes to corruption.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:34 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
I live in Massachusetts nowadays. Compared to here, y'all are pikers when it comes to corruption.
Yeah well was your last mobbed up president from the state responsible for nuking innocent civilians like ours was?


Got you there, bitch.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 11:36 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
Yeah well was your last mobbed up president from the state responsible for nuking innocent civilians like ours was?


Got you there, bitch.

:-)
[Reply]
F150 11:59 AM 10-01-2021
Safe assumption: Every franchisee will be a minority. In a City controlled space that has federal funding. No white males need even consider it.
[Reply]
Bowser 12:09 PM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by F150:
Safe assumption: Every franchisee will be a minority. In a City controlled space that has federal funding. No white males need even consider it.
Fact check: true
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up