ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Media Center>Ted Lasso is a good show
BWillie 10:26 AM 09-04-2020
It's on Apple TV so that is kind of a pain in the ass. I always give a watch to the guys who grew up around here (Sudekis, Rudd, Cheadle etc)

A feel good show that is better than I thought, albeit a little corny.

Story: Likable and optimistic D2 football coach gets hired to coach Premier soccer team in England.


[Reply]
Baby Lee 11:17 PM 09-27-2021
I'm trying to be charitable, but the RickRoll at the funeral made no sense whatsoever.

It exists solely as . . . something that happened, . . . in a sitcom. . . end of narrative.

It seems like they got a little high on their own supply, constructing humor out of zigzagging to sly obscure pop culture references, but now the references aren't even sly or obscure, or organic, or cohesive . . . kind of like how South Park lampooned Family Guy with the idea manatees.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:22 AM 09-28-2021
For me, I enjoy the risk taking and character development in S2. It's obvious that not every choice the writers are making is hitting (although I personally quite liked the Beard episode and believe the show could use more like it), but it's definitely a far more interesting show this season than it was in S1. And don't get me wrong, S1 was fine. It was solid sports dramedy (albeit a bit formulaic) and I enjoyed it. But if it remained that way, Ted Lasso was always going to be just decent and never great. You've gotta take some chances to reach that level (and they definitely haven't yet) but at least they're giving it a shot.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 05:19 AM 09-28-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
For me, I enjoy the risk taking and character development in S2. It's obvious that not every choice the writers are making is hitting (although I personally quite liked the Beard episode and believe the show could use more like it), but it's definitely a far more interesting show this season than it was in S1. And don't get me wrong, S1 was fine. It was solid sports dramedy (albeit a bit formulaic) and I enjoyed it. But if it remained that way, Ted Lasso was always going to be just decent and never great. You've gotta take some chances to reach that level (and they definitely haven't yet) but at least they're giving it a shot.


Beard Episode was shit, and exists solely (along with the Christmas episode) as a vehicle to bilk an extra week out of the subscribers. But that's ultimately small potatoes compared to the pathetic attempts at the writers trying to inorganically wring emotion out of every scene. They are trying way too hard this season. The cringe in this show has generally been with respects to people doing the wrong thing, and then getting corrected. But I was embarrassed for the entire crew for their efforts at making the funeral something more.
[Reply]
Zebedee DuBois 10:14 AM 09-28-2021
Regarding the 2 'weird' episodes, Christmas and Coach Beard, - I read somewhere that they had originally planned 10 episodes for season 2, but due to the success Apple wanted 2 more to make 12. These 2 episodes were 'stand-alones' that did not advance the story lines.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:24 AM 10-08-2021
Liked the ending to this season. Nate embracing full villain status (although more Theon Greyjoy than Joffrey Baratheon) is an interesting and honestly pretty apt way to finish it considering his story arc over the two seasons to this point.
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:30 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Liked the ending to this season. Nate embracing full villain status (although more Theon Greyjoy than Joffrey Baratheon) is an interesting and honestly pretty apt way to finish it considering his story arc over the two seasons to this point.
Agreed. I enjoyed it. Show is good when it tries hard. The Beard episode and the Christmas episode still sucked. Especially the Beard one where he broke up with the psycho cunt anyway. Just didnít enjoy that. At all.

But the rest was still pretty good. I laugh every time Roy Kent does angry guy shit. (FuuuuuuuuÖn :-)). Still love the Keeley and owner characters (surprisingly, on paper the should suck). Lasso is still a good watch and Lasso and Beards back and forth is worth the time.

I liked the Sam stuff (the love angle was Öweird. But whatever. Hannah Waddingham can get it so Iíll let it go) and Iím surprised they ended that part the way they did. (Weíll see if there is outrage for the dude turning heel that would be very 2021).

Itís a throwaway character but I really liked the Trent Crimm parts. No clue if heíll be back but that character did a ton with little screen time.

Thereís some weird stuff. Like do you really need VC money to hang out a shingle as a PR consultant? Doesnít Nate get met with pushback? Maybe not Lasso-wanker pushback, but heís no coach.

Iím presuming it wonít get cancelled after all the awards but you never know. I hope they do another season.
[Reply]
Shag 07:10 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Agreed. I enjoyed it. Show is good when it tries hard. The Beard episode and the Christmas episode still sucked. Especially the Beard one where he broke up with the psycho cunt anyway. Just didnít enjoy that. At all.
I heard that the season was only planned for 10 episodes, then got bumped to 12 late for some reason. The Christmas and Beard episodes were the addons, which is why they didn't really fit - the story was apparently already told in the 10 episodes.

Originally Posted by :
I liked the Sam stuff (the love angle was Öweird. But whatever. Hannah Waddingham can get it so Iíll let it go) and Iím surprised they ended that part the way they did. (Weíll see if there is outrage for the dude turning heel that would be very 2021).
I'm not convinced that situation is done, just that he wanted to make it clear it wasn't why he made the choice he made. We'll see - I think they're better off moving on from it.

Originally Posted by :
Iím presuming it wonít get cancelled after all the awards but you never know. I hope they do another season.
It was originally planned as a 3 season arc, and I believe the 3rd season is already confirmed. Given the popularity, I wonder if they'll try and extend it beyond 3. I kind of hope they don't, even with how much I enjoy it - not sure how far you can really take the premise, and I'd hate to see it get watered down.
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:13 PM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Shag:
I heard that the season was only planned for 10 episodes, then got bumped to 12 late for some reason. The Christmas and Beard episodes were the addons, which is why they didn't really fit - the story was apparently already told in the 10 episodes.



I'm not convinced that situation is done, just that he wanted to make it clear it wasn't why he made the choice he made. We'll see - I think they're better off moving on from it.



It was originally planned as a 3 season arc, and I believe the 3rd season is already confirmed. Given the popularity, I wonder if they'll try and extend it beyond 3. I kind of hope they don't, even with how much I enjoy it - not sure how far you can really take the premise, and I'd hate to see it get watered down.
I know the Sam story arc isnít finished. Iíll spoiler what I was surprised about, hopefully that will keep it from becoming DC/cancel culture/whatever

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:29 PM 10-10-2021
That was a great ending Episode.
[Reply]
BWillie 10:11 PM 10-12-2021
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Liked the ending to this season. Nate embracing full villain status (although more Theon Greyjoy than Joffrey Baratheon) is an interesting and honestly pretty apt way to finish it considering his story arc over the two seasons to this point.
That was probably the best thing about this season. Love that part. Hopefully more soccer in the next season, never thought I'd say that. Less folksy kid stuff, even though I know that is kind of what the show is all about but they can tone it done a little bit.
[Reply]
Cave Johnson 07:41 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
I know the Sam story arc isnít finished. Iíll spoiler what I was surprised about, hopefully that will keep it from becoming DC/cancel culture/whatever

Spoiler!
My suspicions were raised when he said he wanted to give away his inherited fortune.
[Reply]
Clyde Frog 03:53 PM 10-13-2021
Fuck
Spoiler!
.
Love the Sam
Spoiler!
.
I hope Ted gets with
Spoiler!
.

I know I might be late to this realization but this blew my mind:

[Reply]
BWillie 08:25 AM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Clyde Frog:
****
Spoiler!
.
Love the Sam
Spoiler!
.
I hope Ted gets with
Spoiler!
.

I know I might be late to this realization but this blew my mind:
Seems like there could have been an opportunity to get a jump on the Ted/Rebecca relationship instead of her going with
Spoiler!
which was kind of strange. Love
Spoiler!
a character though and it was great he got more screen time, though.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:51 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by BWillie:
That was probably the best thing about this season. Love that part. Hopefully more soccer in the next season, never thought I'd say that. Less folksy kid stuff, even though I know that is kind of what the show is all about but they can tone it done a little bit.
Despite Tedís developments in S2, Nate is probably the most well developed character on the show with the most cohesive arc from S1 on. Interested to see if there is redemption at the end of this journey for him.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 04:56 PM 10-14-2021
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Agreed. I enjoyed it. Show is good when it tries hard. The Beard episode and the Christmas episode still sucked. Especially the Beard one where he broke up with the psycho **** anyway. Just didnít enjoy that. At all.
A lot of people hate the Beard episode (and I get why), but it worked for me.


Originally Posted by :
But the rest was still pretty good. I laugh every time Roy Kent does angry guy shit. (FuuuuuuuuÖn :-)). Still love the Keeley and owner characters (surprisingly, on paper the should suck). Lasso is still a good watch and Lasso and Beards back and forth is worth the time.
Roy Kent is probably my favourite character on this show. Reminds me a bit of Dr. Cox from Scrubs (which I feel is similar tonally to Ted Lasso, maybe not unintentionally considering Bill Lawrence is the creator of both).

Originally Posted by :
Iím presuming it wonít get cancelled after all the awards but you never know. I hope they do another season.
It was initially planned for 3, but I strongly suspect it will end up being more than that given its popularity and acclaim.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up