ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 18 of 22
« First < 81415161718 19202122 >
Nzoner's Game Room>*****The Cornell Powell Thread*****
Dante84 01:31 PM 05-01-2021
MY GUY!!!!!

More to come!

Originally Posted by :
Powell was a top-50 prospect nationally coming out of Greenville, North Carolina, but struggled during his first four years on campus to get playing time ahead of talented pass catchers Mike Williams, Tee Higgins, Justyn Ross, Hunter Renfrow, Deon Cain, Ray-Ray McCloud, Amari Rodgers, Artavis Scott and Diondre Overton (plus Jordan Leggett at tight end). He played in nine games as a reserve in 2016 (12 receptions, 87 yards, 7.3 average) and 14 games in 2017 (eight receptions, 57 yards, one touchdown, 7.1 average; three kick returns, 65 yards, 21.7 average). Powell redshirted his third year with the national-champion Tigers but played in four games (five receptions, 63 yards, 12.6 average; four kick returns, 117 yards, 29.3 average) as a backup while maintaining the year of eligibility. He was a larger part of Clemson's offense in 2019 (15 receptions, 122 yards, 8.1 average, two touchdowns). With Higgins off to the pros and Ross sidelined due to a spinal condition, Powell played well enough to earn third-team All-ACC honors (53 receptions, 882 yards, 16.6 average, seven touchdowns). He accepted an invitation to the Senior Bowl. -- by Chad Reuter

Overview
Unique evaluation as a wideout who came into the program as a four-star recruit, never beat out talent in front of him and then put together impressive tape in his single season as full-time starter. Powell is well-skilled beyond the career production as he's clearly taken in the coaching and learned from others at the position. He's smooth but will have to win with route polish and competitiveness as his long speed and separation burst appear to be very average, which could lead to a higher number of contested catches outside the Clemson offense. The tape is good but the testing will be important as teams grapple with the single season of production. Powell will be an NFL backup, at worst.
Strengths
  • Moves around the field with smooth gait.
  • Leverages route turns against tight man coverage.
  • Sneaky hand fighting to create separation.
  • Clears out catch space at the top of his routes.
  • Showed and proved as downfield ball-tracker and body-stacker.
  • Athletic in air with outstanding body control and catch instincts.
  • Plucks it at high-point and hides it away from swatting hands.
  • Plus hand-eye coordination through noisy catch-points.
  • Quarterback's friend with sudden but soft hands.
  • Will go get the football where it is thrown.
  • Gets run-ready even before completing hitch catch.
  • Not overly elusive but makes tacklers miss after catch.
  • Has ability as a stalk and wall-off blocker.
Weaknesses
  • Only one year over 15 catches and 125 yards in a season.
  • High-cut with limited wiggle in his movements.
  • Expect average release success against press.
  • Drive gear doesn't seem to generate panic in cornerbacks.
  • Route fakes lack salesmanship.
  • Below-average separation burst.
  • Route asks were rather basic at Clemson.
  • Dropped easy would-be touchdown catch headed into end zone against Virginia Tech.

.@CornellPowell17 is coming in to compete, and we simply can't wait! pic.twitter.com/45HcSEWAia

— Kansas City Chiefs (@Chiefs) May 2, 2021

[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 08:02 AM 05-31-2021
Originally Posted by Bowser:
But here's the thing......Powell doesn't HAVE to have the wiggle and twitch in "this" offense with the players he'll have around him and the QB he has throwing to him. All he has to do is run solid routes and have reliable hands, and he will fill that #2 role perfectly and get plenty of looks from the double teams Hill and Kelce will be dealing with.
And CP needs to not lose its shit when Powell doesn't catch 70 balls for 1,000 yards, or declare him a bust when he doesn't put up twice as much production as Hardman.

As long as Tyreek and Kelce are playing with Mahomes, in this offense, it will take a true NFL #1 or #2 wide receiver to impact their productivity, or elevate the productivity of the WR2 position.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Dante84 09:32 PM 06-03-2021
Mahomes, from the presser today:
Originally Posted by :
…and when asked specifically about tight end Noah Gray and wide receiver Cornell Powell, Mahomes suggested that those young careers were already off to a promising start.

"They can work. They know how to get out there and make plays happen. Noah has been really good - I think he has a veteran-type skillset where he knows how to get himself open even if it's not exactly what the play is designed to do. He knows how to get his eyes back and how to get on the quarterback's timing," Mahomes explained. "Then Cornell, he's a beast. He's big out there, running across the field and making some big catches in some tough, contested spots."

[Reply]
BWillie 09:51 PM 06-03-2021
Originally Posted by Dante84:
Mahomes, from the presser today:
Im ready for some god damned Chiefs football.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 05:55 AM 06-04-2021
I am ready to start our super bowl march. The NFL really needs a 10 game type spring league. Develop coaches and players and mostly entertain my fat ass.
[Reply]
Skyy God 09:10 AM 06-05-2021
JIMP

“He didn’t run the fastest 40 time,” McShay said. “But when they put the GPS on those guys down at the Senior Bowl, on Tuesday practice, he ran the fastest of any of the players there. There’s one thing to run a great 40, but to have football speed, that’s what he has.”
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:40 AM 06-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cave Johnson:
JIMP

“He didn’t run the fastest 40 time,” McShay said. “But when they put the GPS on those guys down at the Senior Bowl, on Tuesday practice, he ran the fastest of any of the players there. There’s one thing to run a great 40, but to have football speed, that’s what he has.”
:-)

Thanks for posting this. I was actually wondering about Powell's speed. He got dinged in the draft for it--but when you watch his highlights; he looks quick. Sammy kind of speed.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:08 AM 06-06-2021
Originally Posted by Dunerdr:
I am ready to start our super bowl march. The NFL really needs a 10 game type spring league. Develop coaches and players and mostly entertain my fat ass.

I miss the World League & NFL Europe. That was entertaining football.
[Reply]
kcbubb 06:26 PM 08-23-2021
Any chance that Powell doesn’t make the team? Fountain has looked good.
[Reply]
kcbubb 06:28 PM 08-23-2021
https://www.si.com/nfl/chiefs/podcas...ficult-problem
[Reply]
kccrow 06:28 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Any chance that Powell doesn’t make the team? Fountain has looked good.
I'd say there's 2 slots available so they could easily both make it.
[Reply]
kcclone 06:46 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I'd say there's 2 slots available so they could easily both make it.

I look at it as 3 spot between Kemp, Fountain, Powell, Bell and Fortson.

We're not keeping all of them. You hope that you sign 3 and one of the 2 cut, makes it to the PS.
[Reply]
Dante84 07:15 PM 08-23-2021
Powell has a slow learning curve it sounds like, looking backwards at how camp went and his college career.

His work ethic and talent have been praised by EB, Mahomes and Hill. I think a year on IR, getting practice reps and sitting in the classroom could be really good for him.

Wish he would have balled from the jump, but it is what it is.
[Reply]
kcbubb 07:50 PM 08-23-2021
Powell doesn’t seem to have great short area quickness. I watched the eagles in preseason and even though Devonta smith didn’t do a lot, you could see his quickness in his cuts. I don’t see that in Powell. He seems like he might be pretty good a lot of things but not exceptional at anything. I’m not as excited about him as I once was.
[Reply]
Kiimo 07:52 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by kcbubb:
Powell doesn’t seem to have great short area quickness. I watched the eagles in preseason and even though Devonta smith didn’t do a lot, you could see his quickness in his cuts. I don’t see that in Powell. He seems like he might be pretty good a lot of things but not exceptional at anything. I’m not as excited about him as I once was.
To be fair comparing a 5th round draft pick to the Heisman winner you may see some differences
[Reply]
tredadda 07:54 PM 08-23-2021
Originally Posted by kcclone:
I look at it as 3 spot between Kemp, Fountain, Powell, Bell and Fortson.

We're not keeping all of them. You hope that you sign 3 and one of the 2 cut, makes it to the PS.
I could be wrong, but I expect Bell to make the team. KC brought him back for a reason and it was not his soft hands. He was brought back as a blocker and I don't believe Fortson or Gray demonstrated that part of their game enough to make Reid comfortable cutting Bell.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 22
« First < 81415161718 19202122 >
Up