ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Players, owners open to expanding playoff field to 14 teams
Andoverer 11:24 AM 08-19-2019
NFL players and owners have expressed an openness to expanding the playoff field from 12 to 14 teams -- a change that would help offset revenue lost by cutting the preseason to three games, which is considered likely as the sides begin another bargaining session Monday in Chicago, according to numerous sources familiar with the talks.

An expanded playoff format has not yet been formally proposed in bargaining, nor has expanding the regular season to 17 or 18 games, which players continue to oppose. It's possible the preseason could be shortened even without adding regular season or postseason games. But sources say that adding two playoff games remains squarely in the conversation amidst unexpectedly positive dialogue that continued to yield progress in staff meetings last week on secondary issues such as current and retired player benefits, player health, and safety.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...a-talks-resume

This is the possible scenario for the playoff format that I found. Only one team in each conference would get a bye....

In a 14-team playoff model, 7 teams from the NFC and AFC make the playoffs instead of 6. The only major repercussion from this is that there would be 3 wildcard teams instead of 2, and only 1 team can get a bye week. That means in wildcard weekend, #2 plays #7, 3 plays 6, 4 plays 5. Still, after wildcard weekend, matchups are based on highest seed vs. lowest seed.

All in all, here are the benefits to a 7-team playoff.

Since there would only be 1 team with a bye week in each conference, last week is more competitive since teams likely won’t be guaranteed a bye week to that point. Thus, the league is actually more competitive among top teams. Essentially, teams are incentivized even more to become #1 seed.
7 teams instead of 6 would only add 2 extra games to the schedule, but not an extra week. After wildcard weekend, there would be 8 teams left in the playoffs, just as there are now in the current playoff format of 12 teams.
While 6 teams from each conference ensures a competitive playoff system, 7 from each conference would still be less than 50% of teams in the playoffs. Other than the MLB (10/30 teams make the playoffs), Major American sports leagues have more than half of their teams make the playoffs! The competitiveness of the playoffs would still be superb despite widening the field.

Let’s use this year’s Playoffs as an example scenario: (WC stands for wild card team)

AFC PLAYOFF TEAMS:
1 (West champs, BYE) - Chiefs (12-4)
2 (East champs, vs. WC3) - Patriots (11-5)
3 (South champs, vs. WC2) - Texans (11-5)
4 (North champs, vs. WC1) - Ravens (10-6)
5 (WC1, vs. #4) - Chargers (12-4)
6 (WC2, vs. #3) - Colts (10-6)
7 (WC3, vs. #2) - Steelers (9-6-1)

NFC PLAYOFF TEAMS:
1 (South champs, BYE) - Saints (13-3)
2 (West champs, vs. WC3) - Rams (13-3)
3 (North champs, vs. WC2) - Bears (12-4)
4 (East champs, vs. WC1) - Cowboys (10-6)
5 (WC1, vs. #4) - Seahawks (10-6)
6 (WC2, vs. #3) - Eagles (9-7)
7 (WC3, vs. #2) - Vikings (8-7-1)
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:15 PM 08-19-2019
FFS, even the 2nd round games aren't all that great these days... and the WC round is mostly the same trash as the regular season.

Let's add a pint of water to that Nat Light...
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:33 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
FFS, even the 2nd round games aren't all that great these days... and the WC round is mostly the same trash as the regular season.

Let's add a pint of water to that Nat Light...
Natty Ice!
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:44 PM 08-19-2019
Stupid idea but I like it a lot more than that dumbshit 18 game proposal.
[Reply]
Frazod 02:56 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Flying High D:
Divisions need realigned.
It sure would be nice for the Cheatriots to not get six extra byes every season.
[Reply]
ModSocks 02:59 PM 08-19-2019
Man they really, really, really want the Chargers to make the playoffs don't they?
[Reply]
Chiefshrink 06:07 PM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
The only change they need to make is base playoff seeding on record, not winning a division. Why should a 9-7 or 8-8 team that won a pussy division host a wildcard team that went 11-5 in a tough division? **** that.
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:22 PM 10-20-2019
It’s early to start this but with Patrick going down for awhile I thought it might enlightening to see where the Chiefs are currently.

[Reply]
BWillie 01:25 AM 10-21-2019
please please do not expand the playoffs. I hate hate hate hate inviting everyone to the party. The NFL has it perfect right now.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 01:35 AM 10-21-2019
That 2005 Chiefs team could have gone far in the playoffs IMO
[Reply]
-King- 01:55 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
It’s early to start this but with Patrick going down for awhile I thought it might enlightening to see where the Chiefs are currently.
No.
[Reply]
eDave 02:03 AM 10-21-2019
The fact that Oakland makes it shows this is going too far.
[Reply]
TEX 06:20 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by BWillie:
please please do not expand the playoffs. I hate hate hate hate inviting everyone to the party. The NFL has it perfect right now.
This.
Plus, I fear that 7 teams in each conf would just a prelude to 8 teams, b/c of the 1 team bye factor with 3 W/C teams. Once we have 8 going from each conf, that would mean that half the league makes the playoffs every year. That's not good.
[Reply]
MMXcalibur 07:12 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
:-) @ the Patriots and Bills SOV
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 07:18 AM 10-21-2019
.297 SOS for the Fraudcheatriots
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:34 AM 10-21-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
But, why?

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.

It ain't broke, don't fix it.
Yes, it is. All season ticket holders know this fact. I bought full price season tickets for years to watch suck ass teams play in the pre-season. The NFL is screwing season ticket holders.

Pre-season used to be used to get players in shape, practice plays etc. Players are now in great shape year around. The starters MAY play 3/4 of a game total over the 4 games.

The NFL charges season ticker holders full price. We use to gripe about paying full price for scrimmages. Now, its even worse. Season ticket holders are still paying full freight but now you have to watch scrubs and backups for 3/4th's of the games.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
Up