ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Cedric Benson dies in a motorcycle accident
Al Bundy 08:41 AM 08-18-2019

Former #Bears 4th overall pick, RB Cedric Benson, has passed. RIP.

— Dov Kleiman (@NFL_DovKleiman) August 18, 2019

[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:35 PM 08-18-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I recall the debate between him and Ronnie Brown in the draft, with some people also advocating for Cadillac Williams. In the end, they're weren't all that different.

I was surprised by their stats, though. Benson squeaked over 6,000 yards rushing and Brown was over 5,000. Williams was slightly over 4,000. I thought they were all three colossal busts, but they all had halfway reasonable production. Of course, Brown was the only guy above 4.0 ypc, and they were all top-five picks, so I think I can still safely call them disappointments.
If a RB goes top 5 they need to provide elite production to justify the pick, especially in that era. I don't think there was a better time for RBs than the mid-2000s.
[Reply]
Rain Man 06:39 PM 08-18-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
If a RB goes top 5 they need to provide elite production to justify the pick, especially in that era. I don't think there was a better time for RBs than the mid-2000s.
When I was in my younger days, I feel like running backs were almost as prominent as quarterbacks. That was in the days of Eric Dickerson and Marcus Allen and Tony Dorsett, and those prominent guys were bigger stars than their quarterbacks. The fall of running backs is kind of shocking to me.
[Reply]
neech 08:40 PM 08-18-2019
I can't believe that they allow those lower level entrances onto the highway downtown. I don't know if they still exist, but when I lived there they had several 100-foot entry ramps onto a downtown interstate highway with a concrete wall at the end and a completely blind entrance path. I avoided using those unless I had no choice.
I think I can picture it but not certain.

Do you have any visual aids on that death by entrance ramp you're talking about?
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:01 PM 08-18-2019
Originally Posted by neech:
I think I can picture it but not certain.

Do you have any visual aids on that death by entrance ramp you're talking about?
It looks like they've improved them in the past 20 years, but not by a whole lot. There's better visibility, but it's still a really short ramp where you lose your lane in a hurry.

If the link works, here's an example from google street view. When I lived there, I feel like the jersey barriers went all the way to the end of where the lanes merged and the merge lane was shorter. You couldn't see what was in your lane until you were already committed and going too fast to stop if you needed to.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2880...7i16384!8i8192
[Reply]
neech 09:12 PM 08-18-2019
It looks like they've improved them in the past 20 years, but not by a whole lot. There's better visibility, but it's still a really short ramp where you lose your lane in a hurry.

If the link works, here's an example from google street view. When I lived there, I feel like the jersey barriers went all the way to the end of where the lanes merged and the merge lane was shorter. You couldn't see what was in your lane until you were already committed and going too fast to stop if you needed to.

Wow that's worse then I envisioned.

It would make an atheist toss out a quick prayer when getting on it.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:30 PM 08-18-2019

And looking closer, that's way better than when I lived there, because it looks like the entry lane actual enters into its own lane now. When I lived there, the entry ramp would come into the highway and you had to merge very quickly or you'd go straight into the jersey barriers. But you couldn't see what was in your lane until you'd already committed. It was legit scary to use.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:04 AM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by ChiefaRoo:
That area he was in when he wrecked is very hilly and curvy. It wouldn’t surprise me if he lost control and became airborne.
Broke apart in mid air?
[Reply]
Mecca 08:09 AM 08-19-2019

I drove through Houston on the way to Galveston and they have some of that shit also....
[Reply]
RedRaider56 08:10 AM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Broke apart in mid air?
Most recent news reports from Austin News is that Benson was travelling on an east/west road, which has a speed limit of 50 Mph or so.
The van was coming off this other road called Mt. Bonnelle (north/south roadway) .
Visibility is very poor in this area and accidents are quite common. The van pulled out in front of Benson and he hit the van.
[Reply]
Marcellus 08:36 AM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by RedRaider56:
Most recent news reports from Austin News is that Benson was travelling on an east/west road, which has a speed limit of 50 Mph or so.
The van was coming off this other road called Mt. Bonnelle (north/south roadway) .
Visibility is very poor in this area and accidents are quite common. The van pulled out in front of Benson and he hit the van.
This exact scenario happened just down from my house, dude ran right into the back end of the the van and had to be airlifted to the hospital and lost a leg but lived. He did hit the brakes but didn't have enough room to stop.

It was kind of interesting watching them land the helicopter on the road.

Sold my last bike about 10 years ago, doubt I ever own another one. Too many dipshits on cell phones on the road these days.
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:50 AM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
This exact scenario happened just down from my house, dude ran right into the back end of the the van and had to be airlifted to the hospital and lost a leg but lived. He did hit the brakes but didn't have enough room to stop.

It was kind of interesting watching them land the helicopter on the road.

Sold my last bike about 10 years ago, doubt I ever own another one. Too many dipshits on cell phones on the road these days.
Had to lay mine down in an intersection in south Scottsdale on a Sunday morning about 20 years ago. Nobody on the road except me and some really old guy in a car. I had the green light, but as any motorcycle rider knows, that means nothing. As I came up on the intersection heading south I could tell that the car headed west wasn't going to stop. The guy blew right through the red light, I put the bike down almost slid into the guy's door, yet he still never saw me. An old guy wearing old guy welder-glasses going about 50mph. Would've probably killed me instantly. Got out of it with just ripped jeans and some nice road rash.

Haven't ridden one since.
[Reply]
Flying High D 09:03 AM 08-19-2019
I was riding through a neighborhood in Pittsburg, KS about 17 years ago. This lady blew through a stop sign and threw me over the length of her car. She drove off and all the other drivers just watched her driving he off. The cops found her and didn’t even give her a ticket. Left me there like a dog on the street. And just drove. Said she was scared.
[Reply]
srvy 10:09 AM 08-19-2019

Old Municipal Airport in KC now Downtown Airport is like that along the broadway extension.
[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:53 AM 08-19-2019
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Yeah. This cousin of mine was nearly 70 and he’d been riding all his life. He was on a gravel road so there could have been something like a deer involved or just an unexpected patch of loose gravel. But like you say, mistakes or bad luck carry a big price tag for motorcycle riders.
I have been riding 40 years now. I have put a ton of miles on bikes. That said I have been lucky. Just missed two deer and almost got ran off the road and put into a ditch and that is just this year so far. I love it so much, especially going really fast. We have our own autobahn areas out here that make it so much fun. I don't know if I can hang it up. Putting on 5k-6k a year on them right now.
[Reply]
Cornstock 11:41 AM 08-19-2019

Good news is in downtown Austin no one's ever moving faster than 15 mph in the right lane
[Reply]
Page 4 of 5
< 1234 5 >
Up