Oct. 8: at Florida, time TBD

Oct. 15: Bye

Oct. 22: Vanderbilt, time TBD

Oct. 29: at South Carolina, time TBD

Nov. 5: Kentucky, time TBD

Nov. 12: at Tennessee, time TBD

Nov. 19: New Mexico State, time TBD

Nov. 25: Arkansas, 2:30 p.m.

I found the schedule, so I figured that now is as good of a time as any to start a new thread. Coach Drink has done well turning around the mess that Odom left behind. Solid recruiting has our best commit class in years coming in this year. The schedule isn't bad. A bowl game should be a given. I would like to see 9 -10 wins this year, with one of the wins coming against Arkansas. I really don't like losing to Odom.

Missouri head coach Eli Drinkwitz called it the best recruiting class ever for the Tigers.

Sure enough, Mizzou's current class is ranked No. 11 by ESPN, No. 14 by 247 Sports and No. 17 by Rivals, the highest in program history
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:16 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by BryanBusby:
Sure. He can only report what sources tell him but that doesn't mean his sources are right.

If MU was spooked by KU, why the fuck would they be playing them in basketball?
Pretty obvious difference there.

KU isn't recruiting against MU in basketball. And even if MU wins, they probably STILL aren't recruiting against MU in basketball. Their fallback options would typically be our top guys. They just go after a different level of recruit.

Now Mizzou isn't at THAT level against KU in football, but right this very second, MU isn't really recruiting against KU in football. They're recruiting guys away from Georgia and Florida and Oklahoma. With the understanding that at the very least, they can round out the roster with guys they pull away from KU in the event they need to.

To quantify it: KU is an A school in basketball recruiting, MU is a C school. There's not a ton of risk for KU here - even if Mizzou beats them and has a couple good seasons to move up into B status, they won't pull KU down into B with them.

In football, MU is a B school and KU is a C school...probably. If they aren't, they'll likely get there soon enough. It's still a power 5 school in the 2nd most desirable conference in football, IMO. MU losing to KU would validate a surprise season for them and that's just not worth the squeeze long-term.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 02:17 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Pretty obvious difference there.

KU isn't recruiting against MU in basketball. And even if MU wins, they probably STILL aren't recruiting against MU in basketball. Their fallback options would typically be our top guys. They just go after a different level of recruit.

Now Mizzou isn't at THAT level against KU in football, but right this very second, MU isn't really recruiting against KU in football. They're recruiting guys away from Georgia and Florida and Oklahoma. With the understanding that at the very least, they can round out the roster with guys they pull away from KU in the event they need to.

To quantify it: KU is an A school in basketball recruiting, MU is a C school. There's not a ton of risk for KU here - even if Mizzou beats them and has a couple good seasons to move up into B status, they won't pull KU down into B with them.

In football, MU is a B school and KU is a C school...probably. If they aren't, they'll likely get there soon enough. It's still a power 5 school in the 2nd most desirable conference in football, IMO. MU losing to KU would validate a surprise season for them and that's just not worth the squeeze long-term.
That's a lot of words to say where I was basically leading. It doesn't matter.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:18 PM 12-02-2022
In an irrelevant bowl game where both of half the teams will hold out for the draft or transfer portal? No.

You'd have to be a fucking moron to think otherwise.

What is this. I don't even. :-)
You're ignoring the reality on the ground.

These are 18 year old kids. And pretty damn convincing dudes sitting on their couch with them.

It's not to say that a loss turns everything on its head because it doesn't - MU would still have a MASSIVE facilities advantage in football. And yes, the prospect of the SEC is still very appealing.

But it pulls things tighter and there's just little benefit to it.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 02:19 PM 12-02-2022
:-) Chicken shit pussies.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:20 PM 12-02-2022
That's a lot of words to say where I was basically leading. It doesn't matter.
I absolutely could matter in the margins.

It's not going to spring KU into the NCAA playoffs or turn Mizzou into Vandy. But it's going to be an arrow for KU in the KC area that they just don't have if they win. And Mizzou winning wouldn't give them an arrow they NEED because they're already ahead of KU in football recruiting.

So why put money on the table when there's no money to be made?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:21 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Chicken shit pussies.
Hey - I'd rather play 'em. It's what I've been rooting for.

But from a strictly clinical perspective, there's more to be lost than gained.

So why bother?
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 02:31 PM 12-02-2022
Hey - I'd rather play 'em. It's what I've been rooting for.

So why bother?
It would have been a ratings monster. I've been rooting for it to happen.
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:32 PM 12-02-2022

So why bother?
Right, wrong, indifferent... I'm just here to be amused at how we can have the same conversation from 12+ years ago when Kansas BB was "scared".

via GIPHY

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 02:40 PM 12-02-2022

[Reply]
dlphg9 02:46 PM 12-02-2022
I just listened to this dude on 610 and I believe him 1000%. The thing that is annoying me about CDot on there is he keeps acting like it's because Mizzou is just scared. I don't believe that at all. There is just not much to gain from a win, but a loss could lead to something negative. If Mizzou would have said yeah we wanna play Kansas, then we would have gotten it cuz it would have gotten that bowl a ton of viewers.

Also he said we will play East Carolina in the Gasparilla Bowl.
[Reply]
dlphg9 02:47 PM 12-02-2022
Also KU fans strutting around in here can get fucked cuz they pulled that shit for a decade in every sport.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 02:51 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I just listened to this dude on 610 and I believe him 1000%. The thing that is annoying me about CDot on there is he keeps acting like it's because Mizzou is just scared. I don't believe that at all. There is just not much to gain from a win, but a loss could lead to something negative. If Mizzou would have said yeah we wanna play Kansas, then we would have gotten it cuz it would have gotten that bowl a ton of viewers.

Also he said we will play East Carolina in the Gasparilla Bowl.
Isn't that just another way of saying they're scared of losing to KU football?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 03:07 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Beat me to it
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:08 PM 12-02-2022
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Georgia put Samford and Kent State on their schedule this year. They didn't put Clemson and Florida State on there. They could've put FAR tougher opponents on their schedule but they didn't.

Do you think they 'fear' those teams? No - but no win is taken as a given (as Georgia damn near found out vs. Mizzou). And if there's more to be lost than gained, why bother?

An acknowledgement that something might happen is a far cry from being scared that it will.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 03:17 PM 12-02-2022
I'm sure there's plenty.

KC is a pretty nice little recruiting area for Mizzou and one they're doing well in. Right now they can go into the same home as KU and say "Hey, in a disappointing season we put up the same record out of the SEC as KU did in their best year in decades out of the Big 12..."

Unless....they lose.

And what's a win accomplish in that meeting? Nothing much, really - you're recruiting on the conference strength, the prospect of an ascending program and the ability to stay close to home. None of those things change if they win. But hey - if they lose, now KU can recruit on that ascending program thing stronger than you can, they can offer a place close to home AND they can say "Hey, how great can the SEC be if we beat a similarly situated team head up?"

It's a recruiting thing, IMO. Mizzou is going to be missing its best receiver and probably more than that, including a key defender or two, IIRC. You don't really want to be staking recruiting momentum on that kind of exhibition, not when it's that close to home.
47th ranked class yikes
[Reply]
Page 74 of 109
« First < 24647071727374 7576777884 > Last »
Up