ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 12 of 44
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Media Center>Lord of the Rings - Rings of Power
BigRedChief 05:38 PM 04-05-2018
Premieres Sept. 2nd

[Reply]
notorious 05:41 PM 06-26-2022
Dirk Benedict was the perfect Starbuck for the late 70s, and when I watched the pilot of the new BSG I was disappointed.

My opinion changed 180 degrees as the story developed. BSG is one of my favorite shows, all genres, all-time.

Katie Sackhoff did a great job. Hell, everyone did on that show.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 08:34 AM 06-28-2022
Originally Posted by notorious:
Dirk Benedict was the perfect Starbuck for the late 70s, and when I watched the pilot of the new BSG I was disappointed.

My opinion changed 180 degrees as the story developed. BSG is one of my favorite shows, all genres, all-time.

Katie Sackhoff did a great job. Hell, everyone did on that show.
Yeah fuck that calling it "woke" shit, Katie Sackhoff did a helluva job. Way better actor and did a way better job with the role than the male actor.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 05:23 PM 06-28-2022
People are super upset about this being the latest IP to get "woke-ified". Critical Drinker is real upset about it, and I guess I get it, cause he's from Scotland, which is part of the British Isles, which is the part of the world the writer of the Lord of the Rings was from. So it's the one IP they had, other than Doctor Who, that they could take pride in. Doctor Who of course went mega ultra woke, so they only had this. They had some old dumb nerd books that were too long and didn't have anything to say, and they had ultra long and boring Peter Jackson movies that also didn't have much to say or do, but they loved it. And now it's being ripped away and wokefied lol. It's sad, but I never cared for elves and dragons, so this is one I don't care about losing.

Here are some links about how upset people are about this wokeification situation though.

I can rest assured that Faulkner will never be woked. It won't work. You can't woke Faulkner at all. But these poor Lord of the Rings fans don't have the same barrier of entry.

Here was one of his videos about this situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_RrIobJvo entitled "Amazon's Lord of the Rings - I've Got a Bad Feeling About This"

Here's one called "Lord of the Rings - A Fandom Too Far": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPcxIWToB4

There's more, but that's the jist. What a world we live in.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:48 PM 07-14-2022
Saw the new teaser. Looks fantastic. They spent “movie” level money on the CGI.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 05:56 AM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
People are super upset about this being the latest IP to get "woke-ified". Critical Drinker is real upset about it, and I guess I get it, cause he's from Scotland, which is part of the British Isles, which is the part of the world the writer of the Lord of the Rings was from. So it's the one IP they had, other than Doctor Who, that they could take pride in. Doctor Who of course went mega ultra woke, so they only had this. They had some old dumb nerd books that were too long and didn't have anything to say, and they had ultra long and boring Peter Jackson movies that also didn't have much to say or do, but they loved it. And now it's being ripped away and wokefied lol. It's sad, but I never cared for elves and dragons, so this is one I don't care about losing.

Here are some links about how upset people are about this wokeification situation though.

I can rest assured that Faulkner will never be woked. It won't work. You can't woke Faulkner at all. But these poor Lord of the Rings fans don't have the same barrier of entry.

Here was one of his videos about this situation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT_RrIobJvo entitled "Amazon's Lord of the Rings - I've Got a Bad Feeling About This"

Here's one called "Lord of the Rings - A Fandom Too Far": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPcxIWToB4

There's more, but that's the jist. What a world we live in.
It’s definitely becoming a very weak world full of first world problems if this is the type of trivial bullshit people are bitching about. When will these little snowflakes finally melt and disappear?
[Reply]
Bowser 02:28 PM 07-15-2022

[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 02:53 PM 07-15-2022
^^great share there, Bowser. And it isn't just the Drinker that is taking exception. Here is an interesting video by a youtuber called "Ryan Kinel - Outpost" entitled "Amazon's Rings of Power Trailer gets DESTROYED AGAIN by Lord of the Rings Fans - This is NOT Tokien": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj042uYvOHE. Interesting thing about this video is that it goes into the ratios on the official trailer and shows how brutally it is getting downvoted in all countries (except oddly, Brazil). So this has objective data as opposed to being one person's opinion piece.

Here's one by a guy named "Nerdrotic" that is an old school super fan of Tolkien and he is apparently a member of a Tolkien society. He has disturbing reports about how far-left that literary society has gone that is worth watching, and he discusses some of the internet tricks Amazon is up to to try to hide fan backlash. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EuzthEzPbs.

Here's a youtuber called Disparu with a well done video entitled "Rings of Power Trailer HATES Tolkien's Legacy and Peter Jackson Lord of the Rings Comparisons": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzDoJmmXJMQ. He highlights how it was no accident to have characters in this trailer saying "The past is dead. Those that don't let it die will die along with it" Very reminiscent of Star Wars with their famous "Let the past die" shtick. [Edited to add: Drinker was also all over this at 8:10 in Bowser's video above. Wasn't exactly subtle I guess.]

[An interesting aside about the past. William Faulkner had a quote, word for word, "The past is never dead. It's not even past." I'm gonna side with Faulkner there because Faulkner was a genius and these committee writers of terrible TV shows and movies, are, well, not.]

This isn't normal backlash. Tolkien fans are far better read (smarter) than most of the fanbases of other franchises that have chosen to focus on identity politics above all else. Star Wars fans had the EU, which was no kind of literature. Star Trek fans had no reading at all, same with Doctor Who, and all the comic book fandoms consisted of...comic book readers. Sorry, 'graphic novels'. Tolkien fans, in contrast, are pretty much into real literature and they are not happy that it is being 'improved' for 'modern audiences'.
[Reply]
AdolfOliverBush 03:36 PM 07-15-2022
If you don't like it, don't watch it. It's not like the books or the Peter Jackson movies are going to vanish. Revisit those instead.
[Reply]
Third Eye 03:47 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush:
If you don't like it, don't watch it. It's not like the books or the Peter Jackson movies are going to vanish. Revisit those instead.
Would be nice if half the Peter Jackson movies vanished.
[Reply]
ModSocks 03:48 PM 07-15-2022
I probably won't watch it.

I'm not one who identifies strong female leads as "woke-ism" all the time, but this one here is painfully forced. When they start changing multiple character genders like that, they're forcing it.

If they're forcing it, they're effectively telling people to get fucked if they don't like it.

And if you're telling me to get fucked....well fuck you too.
[Reply]
Vladimir_Kyrilytch 04:36 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I probably won't watch it.

I'm not one who identifies strong female leads as "woke-ism" all the time, but this one here is painfully forced. When they start changing multiple character genders like that, they're forcing it.

If they're forcing it, they're effectively telling people to get ****ed if they don't like it.

And if you're telling me to get ****ed....well **** you too.
Ain't no one telling you to get ****ed if you don't like it. They're telling you (often explicitly from official tweets, cast interviews and press junkets, etc) that you're a racist misogynist if you don't like it. That's a lot worse I think.
[Reply]
POND_OF_RED 11:14 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Vladimir_Kyrilytch:
This isn't normal backlash. Tolkien fans are far better read (smarter) than most of the fanbases of other franchises that have chosen to focus on identity politics above all else. Star Wars fans had the EU, which was no kind of literature. Star Trek fans had no reading at all, same with Doctor Who, and all the comic book fandoms consisted of...comic book readers. Sorry, 'graphic novels'. Tolkien fans, in contrast, are pretty much into real literature and they are not happy that it is being 'improved' for 'modern audiences'.
I’m sure there were a ton of Shakespeare enthusiasts who hated when they took the man to man sonnets away and filled the roles with women, but they learned to just adapt over time or they just died miserably in their basements complaining to themselves about the authenticity of wigs vs real hair and freshly shaven beards vs non existent ones.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 07:03 AM 07-16-2022
This looks good visually for sure..hope the story is good.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:59 AM 07-16-2022
Stop changing the gender and races of characters.
[Reply]
Otter 10:20 AM 07-16-2022
I saw the original and liked them a lot. Not going to ruin the experience.
[Reply]
Page 12 of 44
« First < 289101112 1314151622 > Last »
Up