ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2410 of 3903
« First < 1410191023102360240024062407240824092410 241124122413241424202460251029103410 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 09:36 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by jdubya:
I am a bit buzzed but I am in my mid 50`s with some life experience. The exchange between "Hamas" and "Pete" remind me of exchanges between a general contractor and an architect on a building site. The architect is showing the builder why something will work on paper while the builder is physically showing the architect why it is impossible to build in reality. (Those of you in construction know what I am talking about lol)
Originally Posted by :
Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing
Bernajoy Vaal

Originally Posted by :
Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities.
Aristotle

Originally Posted by :
When one proves the impossible to be possible, the perspective of impossible changes for everyone else.
Benjamin Razi
[Reply]
DaFace 09:40 PM 06-24-2020
I am a bit buzzed but I am in my mid 50`s with some life experience. The exchange between "Hamas" and "Pete" remind me of exchanges between a general contractor and an architect on a building site. The architect is showing the builder why something will work on paper while the builder is physically showing the architect why it is impossible to build in reality. (Those of you in construction know what I am talking about lol)
I don't disagree with this, but note that the architect keeps pointing across the street at the completed house his friend built with the same schematics.
[Reply]
petegz28 09:46 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I don't disagree with this, but note that the architect keeps pointing across the street at the completed house his friend built with the same schematics.
If you played an Eddie Van Halen song on Eddie Van Halen's guitar on Eddie Van Halen's rig you would still not sound like Eddie Van Halen.

:-)
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 10:07 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
So back to the topic and actual numbers...

Today was the highest number of new cases since April 25th.

On April 25th we had over 2k new deaths and had been between 1.5k to 2.5kish deaths leading up to that time.

Today we had just a scratch over 800 new deaths by comparison. So hopefully this surge in cases is not going to come with a surge in deaths and thus far it has not.
I don't remember and I'm not going back to look but what was the lag time the first time around from when confirmed cases were spiking and when deaths started to spike?
[Reply]
SupDock 10:18 PM 06-24-2020
If you played an Eddie Van Halen song on Eddie Van Halen's guitar on Eddie Van Halen's rig you would still not sound like Eddie Van Halen.

Is the contractor Eddie Van Halen and Covid-19 is the house?
[Reply]
Pants 10:23 PM 06-24-2020
To me, it's more like exchanges between a bus driver and an architect on a building site. The architect is showing the bus driver why something will work on paper while the bus driver is physically showing the architect why it is impossible to build in reality.
[Reply]
jdubya 10:29 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
To me, it's more like exchanges between a bus driver and an architect on a building site. The architect is showing the bus driver why something will work on paper while the bus driver is physically showing the architect why it is impossible to build in reality.
If that floats your boat ......run with it. It isnt my point at all.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:32 PM 06-24-2020
And I am not saying this is the most sensible way but the quickest way to get there is to stop all the hiding. Ripping the band aid off always comes with the additional pain.
To advocate for herd immunity over a vaccine is insanity.

Do you wear a mask in public, Pete?
[Reply]
jdubya 10:33 PM 06-24-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Nope. That dog doesnt hunt. The outside of the house is completed but it wasnt to spec as written paper. I think you missed my point. Both can be right and both can be wrong.
[Reply]
cdcox 10:41 PM 06-24-2020
So back to the topic and actual numbers...

Today was the highest number of new cases since April 25th.

On April 25th we had over 2k new deaths and had been between 1.5k to 2.5kish deaths leading up to that time.

Today we had just a scratch over 800 new deaths by comparison. So hopefully this surge in cases is not going to come with a surge in deaths and thus far it has not.
On April 25th we had been stock piling people in hospitals for a solid month. The people who were dying on April 25 had been in the hospital for a couple weeks. We are on the upswing of hospitalizations, so new cases now will turn into hospitalizations in a week and deaths in 2 to 3 weeks. The deaths will come. Everyone needs to quit waiting for it to get worse and put on your damn mask.

I posted more than a month ago that if you don't wear a mask in public settings you were either an idiot or an asshole. I don't know how to state it more plainly.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:42 PM 06-24-2020
Nope. That dog doesnt hunt. The outside of the house is completed but it wasnt to spec as written paper. I think you missed my point. Both can be right and both can be wrong.
Can they both be right? Sure. It's just that they're clearly not in this case. There's a whole "neighborhood" of countries in the world that have gotten this thing well under control. The architect is literally just saying, "hey, maybe we should do the stuff that has worked everywhere else." Forgive me for concluding that we have a shit ton of incompetent contractors when our house continues to fall apart.
[Reply]
tk13 11:03 PM 06-24-2020
I think if you want to be an optimist it sure seems like this latest wave of cases is generally trending younger so maybe the death rate won't go completely out of control, but that still means a lot of people are going to have serious complications. The most underreported part of this thing is all the people who survived and are having lingering health effects, even young people.

We really don't have any idea what the long term damage of this thing is.
[Reply]
stumppy 11:07 PM 06-24-2020
I got one question....

Where is this building going to be?
[Reply]
Fat Elvis 11:11 PM 06-24-2020
Aristotle
You've never read Aristotle, have you?

That quote is from "Poetics" where Aristotle is discussing the merits of fiction and his admiration of Homer's capacity to essentially lie; the example that Aristotle gives is Homer's use of Odysseus arriving in Ithica while asleep....

To be blunt, Aristotle is saying that there is entertainment value in someone being full of shit.

Which is why, I suppose, people continue to engage you in this thread.
[Reply]
Donger 06:22 AM 06-25-2020
We could have followed the task force guidelines for re-opening, which made complete sense, and we didn't. Oh well.
[Reply]
Page 2410 of 3903
« First < 1410191023102360240024062407240824092410 241124122413241424202460251029103410 > Last »
Up