ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 14 of 15
« First < 41011121314 15 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Why Frank Clark is a problem for the Kansas City Chiefs
Direckshun 08:48 AM 05-18-2021
Yikes:

Summary of the video's arguments -- some of which are argued better than others:

1. Never fully healthy.
2. This chart:

3. We ranked in the bottom 3rd in 2020 in passrush despite dropping major coin along the DL.
4. 6 sacks in 2020 -- there was a 7 game stretch where he had 1, and 2 sacks in the last 10 weeks of the season.
5. He doesn't change the run defense all that much.
6. 2020 postseason was "pedestrian" -- 9.8% pressure rate.
7. All of this despite being slotted next to Chris Jones.
8. As you can see in the above chart, Clark is rarely double teamed.
9. The Chiefs didn't restructure Clark this offseason, because they don't want to make it harder than it needs to be to cut him after 2021 -- saves $13m.
10. 2021 is a make-or-break year for Clark.

The good news is that Jarran Reed, like Chris Jones, is a beast in "sacks created," which should help our edge rush.
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 10:10 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Come on, setting the edge and stopping the run isn't important... Just ask these guys that want Dee Ford's or Houston's production in sacks and forget about the Swiss cheese run defense and lack of edge setting they brought to the table...

Is Clark living up to his contract, no, but he is far from terrible.
Houston was a good all around LB. He wasn't a liability in the run game. Ford is a different story. The only similarity between those players is they're no longer here.
[Reply]
RealSNR 10:13 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
Come on, setting the edge and stopping the run isn't important... Just ask these guys that want Dee Ford's or Houston's production in sacks and forget about the Swiss cheese run defense and lack of edge setting they brought to the table...

Is Clark living up to his contract, no, but he is far from terrible.
Somebody should tell Frank Clark that setting the edge and stopping the run is important. Because he's hella inconsistent at it. No, he's not terrible. I said inconsistent.

That was what we were hoping for when we brought him aboard, right? We wanted a guy with (recent) experience playing 4-3 DE who could stay healthy, be a leader, and do multiple things well rather than just being a one-trick pony who was elite at anticipating the snap count but little else. We wanted somebody more reliable.

And as for the sack numbers, how about we start with him generating more pressures? Too often he's getting sufficiently blocked one-on-one. He tries that arc move to the outside of the LT all the time, and it's just not doing that great of a job making QBs nervous.
[Reply]
-King- 10:33 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Somebody should tell Frank Clark that setting the edge and stopping the run is important. Because he's hella inconsistent at it. No, he's not terrible. I said inconsistent.

That was what we were hoping for when we brought him aboard, right? We wanted a guy with (recent) experience playing 4-3 DE who could stay healthy, be a leader, and do multiple things well rather than just being a one-trick pony who was elite at anticipating the snap count but little else. We wanted somebody more reliable.

And as for the sack numbers, how about we start with him generating more pressures? Too often he's getting sufficiently blocked one-on-one. He tries that arc move to the outside of the LT all the time, and it's just not doing that great of a job making QBs nervous.
People have this idea that the chiefs are some kind of great run defense team when really we were average to below average at stopping the run. "Setting the edge" is just some buzz words people repeat to defend Clark. They really have no idea how good he is at it or how much it translates to the teams overall run defense.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:41 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's true Mr. English Professor. I do take football way too seriously.. I admit that. But guess what? If that's a huge fault of mine, I'm fine with that. Much better then being an asshole like yourself.
Dickhead
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:51 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I don't think it's hard to see they'd be better off with DK than Hardman, WR wise.

Shit happens though. Hardman was a project. Maybe he figures it out, maybe he doesn't. Pivot and move on to the next thing. No one bats 1.000
There's simply no way to say that definitively. Metcalf's presence would likely change the dynamics of the team.

Would they be better at WR? Sure.

Better as a TEAM? No, you simply can't say that.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:52 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
That's true Mr. English Professor. I do take football way too seriously.. I admit that. But guess what? If that's a huge fault of mine, I'm fine with that. Much better then being an asshole like yourself.
I'm the asshole?

You're the one that's EMBARRASSED by your team making the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in 50 years.

:-)
[Reply]
O.city 10:54 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
There's simply no way to say that definitively. Metcalf's presence would likely change the dynamics of the team.

Would they be better at WR? Sure.

Better as a TEAM? No, you simply can't say that.
Better at WR would make them better as a team though. But who knows what happens along the way.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:54 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by -King-:
People have this idea that the chiefs are some kind of great run defense team when really we were average to below average at stopping the run. "Setting the edge" is just some buzz words people repeat to defend Clark. They really have no idea how good he is at it or how much it translates to the teams overall run defense.
The best DE end on the team the last couple of years in terms of setting the edge was Alex Okafor.

I was at the Baltimore game 2 years ago and he was the #1 reason Lamar didn't have a break out game. The dude knew how to stay put.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:55 AM 05-20-2021
Better at WR would make them better as a team though. But who knows what happens along the way.
No, better at WR doesn't make them better as a team, necessarily.

It's all complimentary and intertwined. You simply cannot change the past and expect the same result.

And considering they've made it to two straight Super Bowls, the chances of things turning out worse than they have are FAR greater.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:13 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I'm the asshole?

You're the one that's EMBARRASSED by your team making the Super Bowl for the 2nd time in 50 years.

Chiefs fans are starting to become spoiled as hell. It happened pretty quickly too.
[Reply]
Cheater5 11:15 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by JudasRising20:
Houston was a good all around LB. He wasn't a liability in the run game. Ford is a different story. The only similarity between those players is they're no longer here.

F-yeah he was; dude was a block of granite and destroyed pulling guards and TEs were his chew toy. Houston by and large was the most powerful DE / OLB we've had.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:34 AM 05-20-2021
Context matters here though. Look how Lockett produces vs Hardman.

In the end, production is production, but when we're looking at how development is happening, Hardman produces on jet sweeps and gadgety stuff where Lockett was a traditional WR etc.

No one knows the future. So yeah, who knows.

But based on history, I'd say the cards aren't necessarily in his favor.
Lockett had Wilson as his QB, and he didn’t have Kelce and Hill in front of him. The production speaks for itself whether you want to deny it or not.

And having all that talent to go with playing in this offense under Reid with Mahomes as his QB, yea clearly the “cards aren’t in his favor”!

Can we at least give the guy a fucking normal offseason before we say things that fucking stupid? I guess not.

Lockett, Brown, Sanders etc. many guys that were more polished than Hardman with similar size/speed and skill set took time, but we’re going to have higher expectations for Hardman this early in his career? It just doesn’t make sense at all. Give the guy some time man.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:40 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Hardman isn’t a bust though. Paris Campbell and JJ Arcega-Whiteside were drafted around his area and they are busts.

Hardman’s biggest problem was 2 things:

1. He went to a college that didn’t teach route running.
2. Covid eliminated any offseason training he could have done from year 1 to 2

He’s got value and it’s been shown in both Ravens games. If he can learn how to refine his route tree he could be really good
Paris Campbell literally can't stop getting injured, he's showed alot of promise when playing.
[Reply]
O.city 11:43 AM 05-20-2021
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Lockett had Wilson as his QB, and he didn’t have Kelce and Hill in front of him. The production speaks for itself whether you want to deny it or not.

And having all that talent to go with playing in this offense under Reid with Mahomes as his QB, yea clearly the “cards aren’t in his favor”!

Can we at least give the guy a ****ing normal offseason before we say things that ****ing stupid? I guess not.

Lockett, Brown, Sanders etc. many guys that were more polished than Hardman with similar size/speed and skill set took time, but we’re going to have higher expectations for Hardman this early in his career? It just doesn’t make sense at all. Give the guy some time man.
Route running and nuances of the position come with time for sure, so maybe he develops that. It's also something that seems to be something guys tend to have or don't have so that's what I was saying works against him.

If you take away touch pass jet sweeps from being passes, would it be outlandish to say his production would be cut in half?
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:45 AM 05-20-2021
Route running and nuances of the position come with time for sure, so maybe he develops that. It's also something that seems to be something guys tend to have or don't have so that's what I was saying works against him.

If you take away touch pass jet sweeps from being passes, would it be outlandish to say his production would be cut in half?
Why would you do that? It's actually an advantage matchup-wise that he's good at that.

Do we dock Deebo Samuel or guys like that for being runners too?
[Reply]
Page 14 of 15
« First < 41011121314 15 >
Up