ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 50 of 73
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Jon Gruden made an oopsie [and has resigned]
Sassy Squatch 03:30 PM 10-08-2021

NFL statement: “The email from Jon Gruden denigrating DeMaurice Smith is appalling, abhorrent and wholly contrary to the NFL’s values. We condemn the statement and regret any harm that its publication may inflict on Mr. Smith or anyone else.” https://t.co/b9IUku9saH

— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) October 8, 2021

[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:07 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I think the way bigger story here is yet again the corrupt and powerful have found a way to do the worst of the worst things, yet successfully divert your attention by lobbing everyone else under the bus. How in the hell is this even a story about gruden and schefter while Snyder goes completely untouched. The woke pitchforks are focused on gruden and the opposite side is screaming cancel culture. Meanwhile the biggest villains just slide off into the background. How is it possible that after all the WFT bullshit, Snyder has become more powerful? That the worse this gets for gruden and schefter, the better it gets for Snyder, even though he's the reason for the investigation?

What gruden did was stupid and he deserves some shit for it. But it's just incredible that an espn guy who now coaches the raiders is the focal point of a leak that's supposed to be about the redskins.
That's part of the central consensus we are circling. . .

It's not that cancel culture does or doesn't exist, or is or isn't merited, so much as it's capricious and prone to manipulation.

It's a Sword of Damocles that can keep aspirants to power in check.

Plenty have skeletons in their closet, not everyone, but plenty. And most know they can navigate, . . . but so long as they play along and don't make waves.

Grudens MISTAKE was writing the emails, but that wasn't his crime. His CRIME was not having enough powerful friends for his current profile.
[Reply]
LOCOChief 09:38 AM 10-13-2021
There’s plenty of white guys with gold jackets that have said worse. They should be ejected from the hof
[Reply]
KCrockaholic 09:40 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by LOCOChief:
There’s plenty of white guys with gold jackets that have said worse. They should be ejected from the hof
Nearly everyone has said something inappropriate or racist or homophobic at some point in their life. Black, Brown, White, doesn't matter. We all fuck around and say that shit. This is only an issue because Gruden was dumb enough to type it out in emails. Maybe he was drunk during those emails, who knows.
[Reply]
ptlyon 09:43 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCrockaholic:
This is only an issue because Gruden is white saying something considered offensive about a black man.
FIFY
[Reply]
LOCOChief 09:48 AM 10-13-2021
Nearly everyone has said something inappropriate or racist or homophobic at some point in their life. Black, Brown, White, doesn't matter. We all **** around and say that shit. This is only an issue because Gruden was dumb enough to type it out in emails. Maybe he was drunk during those emails, who knows.
You’re probably right. I’ll bet there’s plenty of white hof ers that have emailed worse in the last 20 years. They should investigate players past and present emails, social media and written correspondence for similar atrocities and punish the guilty.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:48 AM 10-13-2021
Nearly everyone has said something inappropriate or racist or homophobic at some point in their life. Black, Brown, White, doesn't matter. We all fuck around and say that shit. This is only an issue because Gruden was dumb enough to type it out in emails. Maybe he was drunk during those emails, who knows.
It's also possible to recover from stuff like this, but it requires actually being contrite. If he'd immediately come out and explained that he didn't realize 10 years ago how that kind of language affected people, that some of it is deeply ingrained in his vocabulary and that he's trying to change that, and that recent events have opened his eyes on these issues and he's trying to be an advocate moving forward, he probably would have taken some heat, but it would have eventually blown over. A giant donation to some prominent anti-discrimination organizations would help as well.

However, people see through insincerity, and he doesn't exactly strike me as the contrite type.
[Reply]
Rams Fan 09:56 AM 10-13-2021
You’re probably right. I’ll bet there’s plenty of white hof ers that have emailed worse in the last 20 years. They should investigate players past and present emails, social media and written correspondence for similar atrocities and punish the guilty.
It’s not just the e-mail.

He flat out lied on Friday about them and hasn’t said anything about he’s tried to be better or own up to what he said.
[Reply]
wazu 10:00 AM 10-13-2021
Agree that this inquisition should begin immediately. Root out all who have sinned in the past, and strip them from their respective so-called "Rings of Honor". Actually might be easier to just set-up Rings of Shame and move them over so that their sins aren't forgotten by future generations.
[Reply]
wazu 10:09 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
It's also possible to recover from stuff like this, but it requires actually being contrite. If he'd immediately come out and explained that he didn't realize 10 years ago how that kind of language affected people, that some of it is deeply ingrained in his vocabulary and that he's trying to change that, and that recent events have opened his eyes on these issues and he's trying to be an advocate moving forward, he probably would have taken some heat, but it would have eventually blown over. A giant donation to some prominent anti-discrimination organizations would help as well.

However, people see through insincerity, and he doesn't exactly strike me as the contrite type.
It seems hard to envision Gruden being able to talk his way out of this, but I agree your approach would have given him a much better chance. Honestly I'll miss having Chucky around in some capacity. His personality and ego and everything else added entertainment value to the NFL. Ultimately that same "don't give a fuck" attitude that was fun to watch is what did him in.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:09 AM 10-13-2021
Phase one: Gruden is fired and stripped of his honors.

Phase two should be the elimination of anyone who owned, worked for, played for, or in any way supported the Redskins. They were perfectly willing, proud even, to use a racial slur in public for 80 years. The NFL encouraged it an profited by it. How is that any less worse than what Gruden did?

Phase three should be the elimination anyone who owned, worked for, played for, or in any way supported the Broncos. In fact, we may need to switch phase two and three.
[Reply]
ghak99 10:11 AM 10-13-2021
I hope he goes scorched earth on everything NFL and ESPN.
[Reply]
Mennonite 10:14 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:
I wonder if there was a deal to resign instead of being fired in exchange for some extra cash and an agreement to play nice.
[Reply]
wazu 10:14 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by ghak99:
A Jon Gruden podcast where he goes full dark-side is probably his best move at this point.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:19 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by Mennonite:
I wonder if there was a deal to resign instead of being fired in exchange for some extra cash and an agreement to play nice.
The way he abruptly left, I don't think he does that because of a few stupid comments. He could've easily just taken a leave of absence. Mark Davis would've thrown a fit. If he had dirt on the NFL why would he bail out this quickly.

Maybe this has something to do with his brother.
[Reply]
jd1020 11:44 AM 10-13-2021
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
The way he abruptly left, I don't think he does that because of a few stupid comments. He could've easily just taken a leave of absence. Mark Davis would've thrown a fit. If he had dirt on the NFL why would he bail out this quickly.

Maybe this has something to do with his brother.
Probably because he doesn't really want to work any more. It took a $100M contract to get him back. The Raiders had been trying for years to get him coaching again.

The owners met with Gruden before his decision to resign was made. So this little leak was the perfect opportunity to get out and also collect a nice fat check that saved the Raiders a little money because his contract was guaranteed.
[Reply]
Page 50 of 73
« First < 404647484950 5152535460 > Last »
Up