ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3823 of 3903
« First < 2823332337233773381338193820382138223823 382438253826382738333873 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
BigBeauford 01:22 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
At this point cases don't matter as much assuming all the data on the new Omnicron is accurate showing that it is a weaker strain.

As long as hospitalizations stay low enough for hospitals to not struggle is all that is important.

We have to get back to a real normal. Not this stupid post-covid normal.
If we don't have a wind down to this, good luck getting people on board with the next actual emergency.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:34 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
If we don't have a wind down to this, good luck getting people on board with the next actual emergency.
What??? You mean the country might be ****ed when it comes to taking wonkish decisions the next time there's an emergency, especially one that can be looked at through a highly polarized filter?

You don't say /gif
[Reply]
Lzen 01:38 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
the fact that 90% of our province is vaccinated and 80% of the hospitalized and icu patients are unvaccinated , transmission seems to be more of an issue for one of the groups whether or not transmission is equal or not .
This is a good post. :-)
[Reply]
TLO 01:58 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
Not peer-reviewed yet and preprint:

Vaccines shown to induce lower levels of neutralising antibodies against Omicron coronavirus variant

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2021-12-13...inst-omicron-0

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....10.21267534v1
  • Researchers used blood samples collected from Com-COV2 study participants who had received two doses of standard COVID-19 vaccination schedules to perform neutralisation assays using Omicron virus isolate
  • Substantial fall in neutralising titres suggest that while there is no evidence of increased potential to cause severe disease, or death, increased infections in previously infected, or vaccinated individuals may be likely
  • Increasing vaccine uptake among unvaccinated, and encouraging third doses, remain priority to reduce transmission levels and potential for severe disease

Researchers from the University of Oxford have analysed the impact of the Omicron COVID-19 variant of concern on one of the immune responses generated by vaccination.

Using blood samples from individuals who had previously received two doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines as part of the Com-COV study, and a live virus isolate, they demonstrate substantial decrease in neutralising titres – a measure of the level of neutralising antibodies generated in responses to vaccination against, or infection from, COVID-19.

The results, published on the pre-print server MedRxiv, indicate that the Omicron variant has the potential to drive a further wave of infections, including among those already vaccinated, although the researchers highlight that there is currently no evidence of increased potential to cause severe disease, hospitalisations or deaths in vaccinated populations.

These results align with recently published data from UK Health Security Agency, showing reduced effectiveness of two doses of these vaccines against symptomatic disease due to the Omicron variant compared to Delta. Importantly, this effectiveness was improved by a third dose of vaccine.

Professor Gavin Screaton, Head of the University’s Medical Sciences Division, and lead author of the paper, said:

‘These data will help those developing vaccines, and vaccination strategies, to determine the routes to best protect their populations, and press home the message that those who are offered booster vaccination should take it.
‘Whilst there is no evidence for increased risk of severe disease, or death, from the virus amongst vaccinated populations, we must remain cautious, as greater case numbers will still place a considerable burden on healthcare systems.’

Professor Matthew Snape, Professor in Paediatrics and Vaccinology at the University of Oxford and co-author, said:

‘It was always a goal of the Com-COV studies to be able to have samples ready, if needed, to test various vaccination schedules against new variants of the coronavirus as they emerged, and we were delighted to assist our colleagues with this important study to enhance our knowledge of how the virus is changing.

‘These data are important but are only one part of the picture. They only look at neutralising antibodies after the second dose, but do not tell us about cellular immunity, and this will also be tested using stored samples once the assays are available.

‘Importantly, we have not yet assessed the impact of a “third dose” booster, which we know significantly increases antibody concentrations, and it is likely that this will lead to improved potency against the Omicron variant.’

Professor Teresa Lambe, Professor in Vaccinology at the University of Oxford, and an author on the paper, said:

‘Vaccination induces many arms of our immune system, including neutralising antibodies and T-cells. Real-world effectiveness data has shown us that vaccines continue to protect against severe disease with previous variants of concern. The best way to protect us going forward in this pandemic is by getting vaccines in arms.
This
[Reply]
TLO 02:02 PM 12-13-2021
Interesting theory

Will the Omicron variant overtake the Delta wave in the U.S.? @ScottGottliebMD (corrected handle) tells @margbrennan one possibility is that “it may be that people who just have Delta induced immunity are excessively vulnerable to this variant.” https://t.co/COpxWsflaf

— Face The Nation (@FaceTheNation) December 13, 2021

[Reply]
KCUnited 02:06 PM 12-13-2021
Went to schedule my booster today and was a little surprised that the earliest in my zip code are 2 weeks out. Seems Walgreens requires people to get the same manufacturer as their initial shot which could be a contributing factor in the limited appts available here.

Also have Bulls/Piston tix for tomorrow which has now been postponed by the NBA due to an outbreak on the team.
[Reply]
TimBone 02:51 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
Went to schedule my booster today and was a little surprised that the earliest in my zip code are 2 weeks out. Seems Walgreens requires people to get the same manufacturer as their initial shot which could be a contributing factor in the limited appts available here.

Also have Bulls/Piston tix for tomorrow which has now been postponed by the NBA due to an outbreak on the team.
Just come on down to Louisiana. We seem to have a plethora of the vaccine available with little interest from the community in getting vaccinated. My wife and I both were able to walk in to Walgreens and get the booster immediately after it was recommended for everyone.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 02:53 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by KCUnited:

Same here in STL, so I drove to a Walgreens an hour outside of town in a rural area and walked right in.

They have a ton of it and a bunch of citizens that refuse to get the shots.
[Reply]
KCUnited 03:08 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Just come on down to Louisiana. We seem to have a plethora of the vaccine available with little interest from the community in getting vaccinated. My wife and I both were able to walk in to Walgreens and get the booster immediately after it was recommended for everyone.
I kept hearing similar from others (albeit out of towners) so opted to wait until my schedule eased up some but wanted to get it before going to an indoor sporting event. Hopped online today and 12/26 was the earliest available at the nearby Walgreens. Good news is in the 30 or so minutes I waited to book my appt at least half the available appts were booked.

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Same here in STL, so I drove to a Walgreens an hour outside of town in a rural area and walked right in.

They have a ton of it and a bunch of citizens that refuse to get the shots.
Sounds similar to my first 2 doses. Drove out past the burbs and got right in. Was hoping 8 months later it would be more convenient. I'm pretty much shutting it down for the year so will probably spot check for earlier availability or just wait it out.
[Reply]
TLO 03:18 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Same here in NW Missouri. I could schedule an appointment like 120 times in the next 3 days.
[Reply]
jdubya 03:24 PM 12-13-2021
I walked into a Safeway store pharmacy around 5 in the evening and asked if they allowed "walk in" covid boosters. No problem, gave them my card, filled out a short form and rolled up the sleeve. Dont need no stinking appointments
[Reply]
eDave 05:54 PM 12-13-2021
California to reimpose universal indoor mask mandate

- starting Wednesday and will expire on Jan. 15.

The State of California is reimposing an indoor mask mandate that will apply to everyone, whether vaccinated or not.

California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly announced the updated policy Monday, citing an increase in COVID-19 cases in the state since the Thanksgiving holiday.

More restrictions are being introduced for those who are unvaccinated, requiring such individuals to provide proof of a negative antigen test within 24 hours or a negative PCR test within 48 hours of attending gatherings with more than 1,000 in attendancem such as concerts or sporting events. The previous window for a negative test was 72 hours.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...r-mask-mandate
[Reply]
TLO 06:34 PM 12-13-2021

South Africa's case fatality rate falls again to 0.5%. The theory that Omicron causes milder symptoms is becoming very hard to ignore... pic.twitter.com/rYxZDTOoGw

— Tom Calver (@tomhcalver) December 13, 2021

[Reply]
jdubya 06:50 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by eDave:
California to reimpose universal indoor mask mandate

- starting Wednesday and will expire on Jan. 15.

The State of California is reimposing an indoor mask mandate that will apply to everyone, whether vaccinated or not.

California Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly announced the updated policy Monday, citing an increase in COVID-19 cases in the state since the Thanksgiving holiday.

More restrictions are being introduced for those who are unvaccinated, requiring such individuals to provide proof of a negative antigen test within 24 hours or a negative PCR test within 48 hours of attending gatherings with more than 1,000 in attendancem such as concerts or sporting events. The previous window for a negative test was 72 hours.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cal...r-mask-mandate
My county never stopped the mandate but I think we are seeing "mandate over saturation" because I am beginning to see more and more people saying screw it and no longer compliant wearing masks in stores or businesses. Some employees are even not wearing masks any longer.
[Reply]
eDave 07:00 PM 12-13-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
My county never stopped the mandate but I think we are seeing "mandate over saturation" because I am beginning to see more and more people saying screw it and no longer compliant wearing masks in stores or businesses. Some employees are even not wearing masks any longer.
They've been long gone in AZ for quite a while now and they won't be coming back. I don't even own one anymore.
[Reply]
Page 3823 of 3903
« First < 2823332337233773381338193820382138223823 382438253826382738333873 > Last »
Up