ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3816 of 3903
« First < 2816331637163766380638123813381438153816 381738183819382038263866 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:47 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Please cite your sources.
Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccination Against Risk of Symptomatic Infection, Hospitalization, and Death Up to 9 Months: A Swedish Total-Population Cohort Study

34 Pages Posted: 25 Oct 2021
Peter Nordström

University of Umea - Unit of Geriatric Medicine
Marcel Ballin

University of Umea
Anna Nordström

University of Umea

Findings: Vaccine effectiveness of BNT162b2 against infection waned progressively from 92% (95% CI, 92-93, P<0·001) at day 15-30 to 47% (95% CI, 39-55, P<0·001) at day 121-180, and from day 211 and onwards no effectiveness could be detected

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3949410

[Reply]
Rain Man 09:48 AM 12-08-2021
Russia.

Vaccine skepticism must be the greatest non-war Victory one country has ever had over another.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:52 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Russia.

Vaccine skepticism must be the greatest non-war Victory one country has ever had over another.
I certainly wonder sometimes. My work is starting up a digital literacy course, and one of the topics is identifying misinformation. I almost think it should be a required course for the entire population.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:53 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Buy a pulse ox
How does the pulse ox measure? According to this PC Mag review:
Originally Posted by :
The Wyze Watch features an LED cluster on the back that shines light into your skin to measure your blood oxygen saturation (SpO2) level.
If the pulse ox is using the same technology then I don't see any reason to buy one. And according to this review, it is as accurate as the Apple watch.

Originally Posted by :
In testing, the Wyze Watch provided fast, consistent, accurate SpO2 readings when compared with the Apple Watch Series 6. I took five readings on each watch, alternating between them each time. The Apple Watch gave me an average reading of 97.6%, while my average result on the Wyze Watch was 98%

[Reply]
Monticore 09:54 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
It's definitely not black and white.

My personal view based on looking at the data is that

1.1st shot immediately after there is NEGATIVE efficacy. You are more likely to get infected

2.After 2nd shot there is a window of some protection

3.That Protection against infection rapidly declines approaching zero or less

The overall effect in a population appears to be zero.
there is a difference between getting infected with sars-cov-v2 and developing COVID-19 , if you combine the reduced risk of getting infected no matter how slight on top of the reduced risk of developing covid and spreading it once infected multiplied by millions of people you can reduce the spread .
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 09:55 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Monticore:
there is a difference between getting infected with sars-cov-v2 and developing COVID-19 , if you combine the reduced risk of getting infected no matter how slight on top of the reduced risk of developing covid and spreading it once infected multiplied by millions of people you can reduce the spread .
That was the hope.
[Reply]
Nirvana58 09:59 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by loochy:
It does, indirectly, although not completely.

It makes one less likely to get the virus in the first place. If one isn't infected then one isn't passing it along.

If one does get the virus, the severity and duration will likely be lessened. That means less virus shedding over a shorter amount of time.
Yes and no. I linked the study earlier in this thread. But they researched transmission rate in completely vaccinated households against completely unvaccinated households.

The difference in transmission was less than 10%. So transmission from a vaccinated individual to vaccinated individual was less than 10% lower than the transmission from unvaccinated to unvaccinated.

Which any decrease in transmission is always good. However, let's look at it from the other side of the argument.

Being vaccinated also means you are more likely to have mild or no symptoms if infected. So one could argue that you are more likely to be in close contact with other people while infected.

Get vaccinated or not it's your choice. But the whole I am a good person and doing this to save Grandma thing is bullshit.
[Reply]
Lzen 10:03 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Nirvana58:
....But the whole I am a good person so doing this to save Grandma thing is bullshit.
This!! I am so sick of this argument. I just don't understand why we can't discuss this like adults. People on BOTH SIDES of the issue have acted like jackholes. This thread shows that very clearly in my view.

That being said and like you mentioned, as far as I'm concerned, getting the vaccine is the wise choice because it is proven to reduce the severity.
[Reply]
O.city 10:03 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
Effectiveness of Covid-19 Vaccination Against Risk of Symptomatic Infection, Hospitalization, and Death Up to 9 Months: A Swedish Total-Population Cohort Study

34 Pages Posted: 25 Oct 2021
Peter Nordström

University of Umea - Unit of Geriatric Medicine
Marcel Ballin

University of Umea
Anna Nordström

University of Umea

Findings: Vaccine effectiveness of BNT162b2 against infection waned progressively from 92% (95% CI, 92-93, P<0·001) at day 15-30 to 47% (95% CI, 39-55, P<0·001) at day 121-180, and from day 211 and onwards no effectiveness could be detected

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3949410

You agree with that study?
[Reply]
penguinz 10:28 AM 12-08-2021
He won't. He is a complete tool that thinks he is a researcher because he sees videos on youtube and memes on twitter/facebook.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:31 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
Point taken but didn't the CDC recently admit that the shot doesn't prevent the spread?
If you're vaccinated, and I'm vaccinated, and one of us gets covid and spreads it to the other, neither of us is likely to end up dead.

I'm getting pretty frustrated with trying to protect people who won't do the bare minimum to protect themselves and/or their families, friends, and neighbors.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:33 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
If this is true, that's great.

I just got my Pfizer booster yesterday.

My arm is sore, no other side affects.
[Reply]
Donger 10:36 AM 12-08-2021
Here's the information from Pfizer. Not sure what titters have to do with it:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...micron-variant

Wednesday, December 08, 2021 - 06:54am

NEW YORK & MAINZ, Germany--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Pfizer Inc. (NYSE: PFE) and BioNTech SE

(Nasdaq: BNTX) today announced results from an initial laboratory study demonstrating that serum antibodies induced by the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine (BNT162b2) neutralize the SARS-CoV-2 Omicron variant after three doses. Sera obtained from vaccinees one month after receiving the booster vaccination (third dose of BNT162b2 vaccine) neutralized the Omicron variant to levels that are comparable to thoseobserved for the wild-type SARS-CoV-2 spike protein after two doses.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1208005542/en/

Sera from individuals who received two doses of the current COVID-19 vaccine did exhibit, on average, more than a 25-fold reduction in neutralization titers against the Omicron variant compared to wild-type, indicating that two doses of BNT162b2 may not be sufficient to protect against infection with the Omicron variant. However, as the vast majority of epitopes targeted by vaccine-induced T cells are not affected by the mutations in Omicron, the companies believe that vaccinated individuals may still be protected against severe forms of the disease and are closely monitoring real world effectiveness against Omicron, globally.

A more robust protection may be achieved by a third dose as data from additional studies of the companies indicate that a booster with the current COVID-19 vaccine from Pfizer and BioNTech increases the antibody titers by 25-fold. According to the companies’ preliminary data, a third dose provides a similar level of neutralizing antibodies to Omicron as is observed after two doses against wild-type and other variants that emerged before Omicron. These antibody levels are associated with high efficacy against both the wild-type virus and these variants. A third dose also strongly increases CD8+ T cell levels against multiple spike protein epitopes which are considered to correlate with the protection against severe disease. Compared to the wild-type virus, the vast majority of these epitopes remain unchanged in the Omicron spike variant.

“Although two doses of the vaccine may still offer protection against severe disease caused by the Omicron strain, it’s clear from these preliminary data that protection is improved with a third dose of our vaccine,” said Albert Bourla, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Pfizer. “Ensuring as many people as possible are fully vaccinated with the first two dose series and a booster remains the best course of action to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”

“Our preliminary, first dataset indicate that a third dose could still offer a sufficient level of protection from disease of any severity caused by the Omicron variant,” said Ugur Sahin, M.D., CEO and Co-Founder of BioNTech. “Broad vaccination and booster campaigns around the world could help us to better protect people everywhere and to get through the winter season. We continue to work on an adapted vaccine which, we believe, will help to induce a high level of protection against Omicron-induced COVID-19 disease as well as a prolonged protection compared to the current vaccine.”

While these results are preliminary, the companies will continue to collect more laboratory data and evaluate real-world effectiveness to assess and confirm protection against Omicron and inform the most effective path forward. On November 25, the companies started to develop an Omicron-specific COVID-19 vaccine. The development will continue as planned in the event that a vaccine adaption is needed to increase the level and duration of protection against Omicron. First batches of the Omicron-based vaccine can be produced and are planned to be ready for deliveries within 100 days, pending regulatory approval. Pfizer and BioNTech have tested other variant-specific vaccines as well, which have produced very strong neutralization titers and a tolerable safety profile. Based on this experience the companies have high confidence that if needed they can deliver an Omicron-based vaccine in March 2022. The companies have also previously initiated clinical trials with variant-specific vaccines (Alpha, Beta, Delta & Alpha/Delta Mix) and data from these studies will be submitted to regulatory agencies around the world to help accelerate the process of adapting the vaccine and gaining regulatory authorization or approval of an Omicron-specific vaccine, if needed. The companies have previously announced that they expect to produce four billion doses of BNT162b2 in 2022, and this capacity is not expected to change if an adapted vaccine is required.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:44 AM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Lzen:
This!! I am so sick of this argument. I just don't understand why we can't discuss this like adults. People on BOTH SIDES of the issue have acted like jackholes. This thread shows that very clearly in my view.

That being said and like you mentioned, as far as I'm concerned, getting the vaccine is the wise choice because it is proven to reduce the severity.
Why are you sick of that argument? It's literally the whole point, although over-simplified.

Most people's arguments for NOT getting the vaccine are either that they don't think they're at risk for serious illness, or they just think this is all overblown.

A lot of people are dead that didn't need to be. A lot of people have long term problems now from having Covid that they didn't have to have. If everybody that could would just get vaccinated, then this is the flu. Until then, people at risk and stubborn people will keep dying.

a lot of people THINK they're a lot healthier than they are. A lot of people have underlying issues that they're completely unaware of. Just get the damned shots. It's only partly about you. If you don't care about yourself, fine, then do it for fucking grandma.

One of our own just had a fucking stroke at what, 50!? Y'all eat fucking McRibs! Argue the finer points of Whataburger vs. whatever other horrible for you fast food restaurants...you're probably not as healthy as you think you are.

The shots are free. It's insurance. I don't understand why this is a political argument.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 10:46 AM 12-08-2021
It's incredibly frustrating that the perception that's it doesn't is still so prevalent. Do a tiny bit of research, people! And your Facebook friends don't count.
Welcome to 1984 the 21century.
[Reply]
Page 3816 of 3903
« First < 2816331637163766380638123813381438153816 381738183819382038263866 > Last »
Up