ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 117 of 221
« First < 1767107113114115116117 118119120121127167217 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>The Fishing Thread
Easy 6 07:58 PM 02-19-2010
Searched around & only found the video fishing & BassMasters threads, i know their are plenty of outdoorsman here, so i figured it'd be cool to draw upon the Planets vast experience in all things fishing.

I only use spincast reels & fish mostly large/smallmouth bass & cats. My choice of reels is quite the source of derision from many people i know 'duffer gear', but i haul in my share of 6 pound bass & 10-20 pound cats on that gear no problem. With a little know-how you can use just about any technique you want to on 'duffer gear'.

Berkley Powerbaits are a big part of my trick bag, the difference between those & regular stuff is night & day. My best action last summer came on Mister Twister scented white curly tail grubs, on one day fishing from shore to a bridge pier, i caught smallies, bigmouths, perch & even 1 carp believe it or not... great day. But my bread & butter is a texas rigged Berkley worm, it'll wiggle through any kind of cover without getting hung up.

With cats i strictly bottom fish, no bobber & bait is just as basic... but its always in 2's to give'em a real treat... a shrimp/with a nightcrawler, liver/chunk of cheese etc. Cats are mostly for night sport to me, time to kick back a lil...

So thats me style, how do the rest of you guys get your fish on? What do you fish for, what do you use? IIRC Missouri's trout season just kicked off, anyone getting anything?
[Reply]
threebag 08:54 PM 01-21-2017
Been talking a lot of fishing with my son. He is ready to quit shooting geese and ducks and start slinging his rod. Thinking about a trout trip to start us off.
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:00 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by threebag02:
Been talking a lot of fishing with my son. He is ready to quit shooting geese and ducks and start slinging his rod. Thinking about a trout trip to start us off.
Gonna admit something right here, right now... I've never had trout of any kind

What other kinda fish would you compare it to eating wise?

Always found it strange that my state is so close to Missouri and Kansas, yet we do not have that species of fish in abundance anywhere near me... what is so different east of the Mississippi?
[Reply]
bdj23 11:32 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Say what, why those two places?

Gotta be one of two things IMO... either your ancestry is from that region, or you're Chiefplanets own Jeremy Wade crisscrossing the globe in search of rare, maneating fish
My girlfriend originally wanted to go to Mexico for a vacation. I had been trying to convince her to go to Italy. I have a few friends that have been all over Europe and they said Croatia is one or the most beautiful places in the world, so we looked it up and decided this was a place for an unforgettable experience. We are going to fly into Split (croatia) and going to travel down to podgorica (montenegro). figure i can find a fishing charter along the way.
[Reply]
Easy 6 11:50 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by BDj23:
My girlfriend originally wanted to go to Mexico for a vacation. I had been trying to convince her to go to Italy. I have a few friends that have been all over Europe and they said Croatia is one or the most beautiful places in the world, so we looked it up and decided this was a place for an unforgettable experience. We are going to fly into Split (croatia) and going to travel down to podgorica (montenegro). figure i can find a fishing charter along the way.
I'm no travel agent, but if I had to guess... I'd bet you get a good return on your investment over there, it isnt a huge tourist hot spot is it?

Again, not knocking you... just stands to reason that maybe some of the lesser advertised countries over there could offer great value compared to the usual suspects
[Reply]
Dunit35 09:42 AM 01-22-2017
This thread has me wanting to go fishing. My dad and I are looking at a trout trip. A small lake near me stocks them this time of year. I've never been. What tackle should I be using?
[Reply]
bdj23 10:37 AM 01-22-2017
I'm no travel agent, but if I had to guess... I'd bet you get a good return on your investment over there, it isnt a huge tourist hot spot is it?

Again, not knocking you... just stands to reason that maybe some of the lesser advertised countries over there could offer great value compared to the usual suspects
Tourism in Croatia has been growing over the years. I've heard it's starting to get pretty big.
[Reply]
Easy 6 10:42 AM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by BDj23:
Tourism in Croatia has been growing over the years. I've heard it's starting to get pretty big.
Side note... used to work with a chick from Croatia, and she was haaawt
[Reply]
bdj23 10:47 AM 01-22-2017
Side note... used to work with a chick from Croatia, and she was haaawt
Oh man, tell me about it. We are using Airbnb for our lodging... some of the hosts are total babes.
[Reply]
chinaski 10:56 AM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by Dunit35:
This thread has me wanting to go fishing. My dad and I are looking at a trout trip. A small lake near me stocks them this time of year. I've never been. What tackle should I be using?
Stocked trout are pretty easy actually. I fish for them frequently at a small lake in the SOCAL mountains where we have a cabin. Here are some tips:

Use spinning gear, with a Light or Ultra-Light Rod, between 6 or 7 feet long. I use monofilament line or fluro line, between 4 and 6 pound test. Don't go over 6 pound test with trout, they actually have fairly decent eyesight and they get spooked easily.

Small egg type hooks will suffice #4 to #8 size. Now, if you are using dough style baits, the trout will always swallow the hook...so I usually rig up several leaders using monofiliment, ranging anywhere from 3 to 5 feet long, with a hook on one end and a snap on the other. Then just tie on a swivel or another snap to your combo and when you get a fish, it's as simple as unsnapping the leader and throwing the fish on the stringer, then you just snap on another leader and bait and you are good to go.

I just use a simple split shot rig and a bell, you don't really need much of a weight, a few split shots on the line will work. DO NOT USE A FLOAT IF YOU ARE USING FLOATING DOUGH BAIT. It defeats the purpose.

I usually use Rainbow Colored Berkley Power Bait, the one with Garlic. It works great. I have also used Berkley floating corn nuggets (garlic flavored) and the floating Dough Bait that simulates hatchery pellets (it's brown) with good success.

You can use small worms such as meal worms and regular earthworms, but you will need a float to determine where in the water column the fish are...but again, I have such great luck with the floating dough style baits, that I rarely do it that way. I just stick to my split shot rig and leader method with a bell.

I have also used Mepps or Panther Martin inline Spinners, Kastmasters, Phoebes, with success if you want to go the lure route.

As for cleaning the fish, I usually just gut and scale them, fry 'em up with the skin on, but you can filet the bigger ones. Pretty dang tasty. :-)
[Reply]
HonestChieffan 11:09 AM 01-22-2017
2 things....

Yesterday, Jan 21, It was 60 degrees while felling trees and cutting firewood. As I tractored across the pond dam, I saw turtles sunning on a tree that lays in the pond. Nor sure if turtles in MO know ther is a January.

Second...just scored a 3 wt, old school, fiberglass fly rod. Bluegills on a 3 wt will be wonderful fun.

Thats all
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:48 AM 01-24-2017

When I'm at work I've go fishing in my head.
[Reply]
loochy 11:54 AM 01-24-2017
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:

When I'm at work I've go fishing in my head.
:-)
[Reply]
Rasputin 11:39 AM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by loochy:
:-)

[Reply]
tooge 01:24 PM 01-26-2017
I'm going on my annual trout trip to the White River in Ar pretty soon. Been going for many years. We go last week of Feb, which is sort of a mixed bag weather wise, but there aren't many fishermen out, so that is nice. I use a gold Poebe from Acme lure company and pretty much outfish everyone else out there. Most guys use cleos or jigs. Some guys use corn or powerbait, but that's a pain in the ass if you ask me.
[Reply]
loochy 01:37 PM 01-26-2017
Originally Posted by KC Tattoo:
dude you are obsessed!
[Reply]
Page 117 of 221
« First < 1767107113114115116117 118119120121127167217 > Last »
Up