ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown is NOT an NFL left tackle
Mr. Wizard 08:45 PM 01-16-2022
He can’t handle the speed rush. Move him to the right side and draft a left tackle. Oh yea, cut Sorensen.

That is all.:-)
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:20 PM 01-18-2022
a) he'll get better
b) every other option is dicey
c) Mahomes is used to him now
[Reply]
kccrow 11:25 PM 01-18-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
We are not talking about a guard here. Elite or at least above average LTs do not grow on trees. Say we don't sign him to a long term deal and he is franchised and balls out. Then what? He becomes even more expensive, especially if your 3rd or 4th round "developmental" LT doesn't develop like you hope.
You re-address the situation next year. You have another year of the tag. You have a 1st round pick. To top it off, I wouldn't worry too much about the value increase in his contract if it's actually worth it.

Do I think he "balls out?" Probably not. Depends on your definition of that. I give zero credence to the Pro Bowl but I would like to see the improvement with my eyes and not have to see Patrick step way up against speed to the outside every single time. It's the single glaring weakness to his game but it's also the one that affects Patrick in the worst possible ways. Maybe if he dropped 35 pounds and got significantly quicker but he's never shown the willingness to do that.

Most of the time he's passable but if you do hit a team with an interior pass rusher that can keep Patrick from stepping way up, he could present major issues. That may not be unless KC makes it to the SB but any of the candidates in the NFC right now present that issue sans GB. Of course, we know what GB did defensively against us so that's moot too.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:36 PM 01-18-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
a) he'll get better
b) every other option is dicey
c) Mahomes is used to him now
Remain's to be seen considering he's hit his athletic ceiling
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 11:45 PM 01-18-2022
Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare:
Do you remember the episode of The Franchise where they had McKenzie working at Will Shields' training center?

I really think Brown needs to get an individual coach, because sometimes he gets flat out beat because his pass blocking technique is garbage. Especially his initial kick, where he often takes himself out of position.

I have honestly never seen a "Pro-Bowl" LT who beats himself as much as Brown does. His kick sucks, and he makes it worse by reaching with his hands when he is getting beat, instead of using his feet to get into a better position.

Don't get me wrong, there are plays where he performs great in pass blocking, and he can be dominant when run blocking, but when he does get beat, it almost always seems like a whiff on his part, instead of a great move by the pass rusher.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
suzzer99 11:47 PM 01-18-2022
There are successful LTs with a similar athletic profile. He just has to make up for it with technique and lack of mistakes.

He's gotten better as the year goes on. Every non-elite LT gets beat every now and then. Fisher got beat a few times a game. People are holding Brown to Trent Williams/Joe Thomas/Willie Roaf standards. We just need Fisher standards.

Also give him a full offseason with the Chiefs trainers. I'd expect him to come back leaner.
[Reply]
RealSNR 11:52 PM 01-18-2022
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...=Orlando+Brown

He said himself that he lacks the athleticism and is a pure technician, thus he's not going to be much better than he is now.

It's paramount for the Chiefs to have an elite IOL like they do know because when Brown has a "block win" and washes out a speed rusher Patrick has to step up because said rusher will barely miss him
So he's not Willie Roaf.

Oh boo fucking hoo.

He does the job well enough. Mahomes is used to him by now. Have Brown drop a little weight and I'll bet he'll improve against speed.

Yes, we have a franchise QB. Yes, we need to protect him. But we don't need to spend ANOTHER 1st round pick on a tackle and just hope he's good. That's way too much draft investment in that position, and we have other shit that needs to be taken care of.

People act like Brown is fucking Cameron Erving out there just because they see him whiff on one play.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 11:55 PM 01-18-2022
Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic:
Do you remember the episode of The Franchise where they had McKenzie working at Will Shields' training center?

I really think Brown needs to get an individual coach, because sometimes he gets flat out beat because his pass blocking technique is garbage. Especially his initial kick, where he often takes himself out of position.

He's Father was his coach practically his whole life
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 12:03 AM 01-19-2022
He's Father was his coach practically his whole life
I get that, but in high school and college, he was usually a better athlete than whoever he was blocking. It's easy to get lazy in your technique when you are just that much better than your competition.

But at the NFL level, that advantage doesn't exist. Technique wins at this level, and his pass blocking technique is bad, or maybe he just gets lazy with it.

He has given up sacks and pressures to quite a few nobodies this year, and we have been lucky in a sense because some of the top tier pass rushers we face on a regular basis line up on the right side. Now, maybe that's because RT has been a weakness this year, but it has worked to Brown's advantage.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:58 AM 01-19-2022
Orlando Brown is plenty good enough at his current price. Once it goes up, he needs to be significantly better. that's the real heart of it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:59 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
There are successful LTs with a similar athletic profile. He just has to make up for it with technique and lack of mistakes.

He's gotten better as the year goes on. Every non-elite LT gets beat every now and then. Fisher got beat a few times a game. People are holding Brown to Trent Williams/Joe Thomas/Willie Roaf standards. We just need Fisher standards.

Also give him a full offseason with the Chiefs trainers. I'd expect him to come back leaner.
We won with Fisher while Mahomes cost peanuts.

he's being held to Williams standards, because that's what he will cost. it matters.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:19 AM 01-19-2022
I won't look stupid, because I want to be wrong. The ones who ignore there bad takes like they never happened are the true dumb mother****ers
Please quote a post in which you admitted you were wrong.
[Reply]
dlphg9 01:23 AM 01-19-2022
God damn, there are some dumb motherfuckers on this site. Tribal is literally acting like Patrick Mahomes stepping up into a pocket is a loss on Brown. Have you ever played offensive line before? Particularly a tackle? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? No you're dumb as shit. Like usual.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:30 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
Please quote a post in which you admitted you were wrong.
https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/show...5&postcount=23

Here, now you man up next time you're wrong instead of hiding

If my wrong excellent then yge Chiefs made the correct move.
Orlando hasn't proven he can handle speed rushers consistently.
[Reply]
Tribal Warfare 02:34 AM 01-19-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
God damn, there are some dumb motherfuckers on this site. Tribal is literally acting like Patrick Mahomes stepping up into a pocket is a loss on Brown. Have you ever played offensive line before? Particularly a tackle? Do you have any idea what you are talking about? No you're dumb as shit. Like usual.

LOL, wow Patrick did say he has to play like "normal" QB's that includes a less fluid pocket
because he can't scramble as much due to the defender will be in his lap. Orlando would wash the passrusher right into him

Wow, man do I get free drinks living inside your head.

Thus, trolling must make you hungry give Orlando a tour of the eateries in KC then you can sate those personal attacks.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 07:02 AM 01-19-2022
There's been an adjustment by the offense and Patrick, it's easy to see. Is that bad? Well, no, not really.

I didn't think Brown was a good fit skillset-wise when he was first mentioned as an option. If Andy, Veach, and Patrick are cool with the adjustments they've made to accommodate Brown's style, then that's fine by me.

You could tag and trade Brown to a team like Tennessee, where he'd fit perfectly, but that still would only net you a low first. Not high enough to grab a sure thing LT.

So I figure they'll extend him and roll on.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 14
« First < 34567 891011 > Last »
Up