ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Secondary?
Direckshun 10:49 AM 01-04-2022
How badly do you guys think we need to make investments in the secondary?

Here is our secondary depth chart in 2022 right now:

CB: Sneed, Fenton
S: Thornhill, Zayne Anderson

That's it. That's who we have under contract.

Surely there will be some people we sign to futures and bring back from this roster in places, like DiCaprio Bootle, but none of them move the needle.

Mathieu, Ward, Sorensen, Hughes, Baker, and Watts are all free agents.

There's been some debate as to whether we bring back Ward, who we all really like, though I do think we agree his uppermost limitation is against Jamar Chase. I think Ward played his ass off against Chase, but just couldn't hang with him. To say nothing of the fact that Fenton was clearly outmatched on the other side, and may not be a full time starter anyway.

That being said, what kind of resources should we explore in the secondary? The Bengals are clearly not going anywhere.

Just goes to show you, you need to be a flexible defense to win it all in the NFL. Some teams like to space you out and air it out, like the Bengals. Other teams like to pound you up front.
[Reply]
CatfishBob2 09:09 AM 01-17-2022
And you have to have some decent cb's( preferably taller than 5'9) with athleticism when team counter your rush with quick passes and deep throws to the boundary. That's the recipe IMO
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:56 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by CatfishBob2:
And you have to have some decent cb's( preferably taller than 5'9) with athleticism when team counter your rush with quick passes and deep throws to the boundary. That's the recipe IMO
well, deep throws take time. I think the plan should be to not give them enough time.

The shorter corners are mostly a problem on the deep throws; if they're in trail position, you can loft it over their heads.

In close, the height difference isn't as big a detriment. it's about the angle of the throw.

You don't want to overthrow a short, quick pass, or it's an INT waiting to happen.

Sideline throws notwithstanding.

Anyway, yeah, you'd like your corners to all be 6'0" with long arms and run 4.4, but you know, you do what you can with what you can get.

I'd rather spend the money on 'chess pieces' and pass rushers is all I'm saying.
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:10 AM 01-17-2022
I'm at the point where I'm letting Mathieu walk, bringing back Ward and letting Sneed play the Mathieu role.

Get a competent Sorenson replacement and another outside CB to learn (or bring back Baker).

Starting CBs - Ward, Fenton, Baker, ???
Starting safeties - Thornhill and ???
Just let Sneed move around play multiple positions.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:17 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
I'm at the point where I'm letting Mathieu walk, bringing back Ward and letting Sneed play the Mathieu role.

Get a competent Sorenson replacement and another outside CB to learn (or bring back Baker).

Starting CBs - Ward, Fenton, Baker, ???
Starting safeties - Thornhill and ???
Just let Sneed move around play multiple positions.
I'm for letting Sneed play the Sneed role, personally.
[Reply]
RunKC 10:18 AM 01-17-2022
The Sorenson replacement is a huge need. They tried using Sneed there and it wasn’t pretty.

Gonna have to look for a draft pick or trade
[Reply]
The Franchise 10:20 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The Sorenson replacement is a huge need. They tried using Sneed there and it wasn’t pretty.

Gonna have to look for a draft pick or trade
How many safeties out there in the NFL can cover TEs one on one?

Five? Three?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:29 AM 01-17-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
How many safeties out there in the NFL can cover TEs one on one?

Five? Three?
THIS is why I want more chess pieces.

You can't shut down good TE's with one safety, or one LB. You can't shut down elite WR's with a corner one on one anymore.

You have to have MORE guys like Mathieu, and Sneed, and I think Willie Gay with his freakish speed at that size can be a chess piece. the opposition needs to have no idea who's going where pre-snap.

And I think you have to be able to get to the QB fast, and do it with 4. Make them make rushed decisions.

This is the way.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:31 AM 01-17-2022
Give me safeties that can play some corner. Give me corners that have/can play some safety. Give me LB's that can cover, rush, and stuff the run. Give me a coordinator that mixes it all up so much the offense has no clue what is coming on any play pre-snap.

Confuse and rush the look. Force the ball out before the QB wants to throw.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:46 AM 01-18-2022
Jevon Holland, Justin Simmons, Kevin Byard or Jessie Bates. I’d be looking for a safety like one of those guys to replace Sorenson.

None of those guys were first rd picks btw
[Reply]
Direckshun 02:04 PM 01-18-2022
I think you have to let Mathieu walk now.

The constant distraction from his tweets, I think, makes the team's job harder.

I'm as big a Mathieu fan as there is but you can't have a guy walking around your locker room telling all the rookies what a joke our front office is. We're going to have to retain some of those guys in a couple years and Mathieu could be priming them to jump ship.
[Reply]
Buehler445 12:27 AM 01-21-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I think you have to let Mathieu walk now.

The constant distraction from his tweets, I think, makes the team's job harder.

I'm as big a Mathieu fan as there is but you can't have a guy walking around your locker room telling all the rookies what a joke our front office is. We're going to have to retain some of those guys in a couple years and Mathieu could be priming them to jump ship.
Do what now? What did I miss?
[Reply]
Direckshun 12:32 AM 01-25-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Do what now? What did I miss?
Tyrann Mathieu's entire Twitter feed, apparently.

Guy has been tweeting about how pissed he's been about the contract negotiations for months now. And that's what he's saying publicly.

What do you think he's saying privately. Chances are, he's not being more diplomatic than he's been in public.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
< 1234
Up