Page 9 of 33
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Australian Open Tennis
Silock 10:28 PM 01-17-2008
I guess updated for 2012?

Americans are all out.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:14 AM 01-24-2012
Federer is just a whiz with the racket. It's amazing to watch him play when he's on. Greatest player of all time?
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:17 AM 01-24-2012
Sampras has to be in that conversation. Stefan Edberg never really got his due credit, i truly feel Stefan Edberg is a top 5 all-time.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 12:18 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
Federer is just a whiz with the racket. It's amazing to watch him play when he's on. Greatest player of all time?
I always have a hard time answering questions like that. I can't fairly judge players I haven't seen. I do think its hard to say anyone is or was ever better.

I love the guy. I usually root for underdogs, but I love everything about him. I love his love of the game, the history of it, and how much he knows about his place in it. He is humble but has a minor cocky honesty in him.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:20 AM 01-24-2012
The break and the set to Federer. Hard to see Del Potro beating him when he's at this level.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 12:20 AM 01-24-2012
Oh, and Fed still gets emotional when he doesn't win in Majors....after he has already won SIXTEEN.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:20 AM 01-24-2012
Agassi's story is my favorite - he's probably my favorite athelete. He once was a young punk - but finished his career embrassing class - he was very professional and an all out gentleman - his final five or six years.

The sport misses him.

[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:21 AM 01-24-2012
Sampras never won at Roland Garros. That holds him back a bit in my mind.
[Reply]
Chief_For_Life58 12:21 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
I always have a hard time answering questions like that. I can't fairly judge players I haven't seen. I do think its hard to say anyone is or was ever better.

I love the guy. I usually root for underdogs, but I love everything about him. I love his love of the game, the history of it, and how much he knows about his place in it. He is humble but has a minor cocky honesty in him.
its also really hard to count out the older generation guys who didnt use the advanced rackets that are being used today. think about if rod laver or emerson used the racket djokovic or nadal uses? how good could they be? tough to say in tennis....
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 12:22 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Agassi's story is my favorite - he's probably my favorite athelete. He once was a young punk - but finished his career embrassing class - he was very professional and an all out gentleman - his final five or six years.

The sport misses him.
I was only old enough to see him in his "veteran/mature" days. His late night matches at the U.S. Open his last 4 years were what locked me into tennis.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 12:24 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58:
its also really hard to count out the older generation guys who didnt use the advanced rackets that are being used today. think about if rod laver or emerson used the racket djokovic or nadal uses? how good could they be? tough to say in tennis....
Yes thats a good point. In any sport that makes it so hard to figure out. Not only was the equipment worse, but working out and staying in shape wasn't as big/advanced years ago. Especially if you are talking about sports like baseball or hockey.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:25 AM 01-24-2012
The amount of effort that Agassi gave in his matches during the latter stage of his career was incredible.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:25 AM 01-24-2012
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
it's what happens, he's been holding a racquet since age 3, IIRC. I always tell people, if you want the best possibility for your child to reach professional sports, get a racquet in their hand by age 5, if they like it, support them their whole career, and most players that consistently play that long, WILL at least make a ranking and most likely earn some income, possibly even get rich off of it. Best chance is with Tennis. It's like no other sport, honest.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:27 AM 01-24-2012
I mean Agassi won this tournament at the age of 32 in 2003 beating out guys like Hewitt and Safin (one of my personal favorites) in the prime of their careers. Federer was also beginning his rise top player at the time as well.

Incredible, really.
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:28 AM 01-24-2012
Stefan Edberg was easily MY favorite player, if any of you catch any of his matches on ESPN classic, or where ever, watch them. He was masterful.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 12:30 AM 01-24-2012
I'm too young to have watched Edberg in his prime, yeah.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 33
« First < 56789 1011121319 > Last »
Up