[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:27 PM 12-08-2021
Here we go for '22....

All our love, @serenawilliams 💙

Come back stronger 💪 #AusOpen pic.twitter.com/HrrG1FFILF

— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) December 8, 2021

[Reply]
alpha_omega 12:33 PM 01-04-2022
:-)FFF; border:0; border-radius:3px; box-shadow:0 0 1px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.5),0 1px 10px 0 rgba(0,0,0,0.15); margin: 1px; max-width:540px; min-width:326px; padding:0; width:99.375%; width:-webkit-calc(100% - 2px); width:calc(100% - 2px);">
:-)FFFFFF; line-height:0; padding:0 0; text-align:center; text-decoration:none; width:100%;" target="_blank">
:-)3897f0; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:550; line-height:18px;">View this post on Instagram

:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; line-height:17px; margin-bottom:0; margin-top:8px; overflow:hidden; padding:8px 0 7px; text-align:center; text-overflow:ellipsis; white-space:nowrap;">:-)c9c8cd; font-family:Arial,sans-serif; font-size:14px; font-style:normal; font-weight:normal; line-height:17px; text-decoration:none;" target="_blank">A post shared by Novak Djokovic (@djokernole)

[Reply]
alpha_omega 03:04 PM 01-05-2022
The plot thickens....

Australian Open 2022: Novak Djokovic denied entry into country amid backlash over COVID-19 vaccine exemption

Novak Djokovic has reportedly been denied entry into Australia ahead of the Australian Open. This comes after the tennis star was granted a medical exemption from tournament organizers to compete in the event, even though he is not vaccinated against COVID-19. All players and staff at the tournament must be vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an exemption granted by an expert independent panel in order to take part in the event.

Djokovic receiving an exemption has caused outrage throughout the country, and the situation came to a head on Wednesday.

According to The Times of London, Djokovic was stopped at border control due to a visa issue. A member of Djokovic's team reportedly requested a type of visa that doesn't apply to someone that has been granted a medical exemption from COVID-19 vaccinations.

Djokovic is being held in a room with police since landing in Melbourne, according to his father Srdijan Djokovic.

"Novak is currently in a room which no one can enter," Srdjan Djokovic told the B92 internet portal. "In front of the room are two policemen."

Srdijan Djokovic added later on Wednesday that he believes his son is being held "captive" and that "if they don't release him in the next half an hour, we will fight them on the street."

The Times of London report states that the federal government has asked for help in correcting the visa issue, but the state government has refused to step in.

"The federal government has asked if we will support Novak Djokovic's visa application to enter Australia," Victorian sports minister Jaala Pulford wrote on Twitter. "We will not be providing Novak Djokovic with individual visa application support to participate in the 2022 Australian Open grand slam. We've always been clear on two points: Visa approvals are a matter for the federal government, and medical exemptions are a matter for doctors."

It's unclear at the moment what Djokovic can do from here in order to attempt to gain entry into Australia.

According to Australian Open organizers, tennis star Novak Djokovic didn't benefit from any "special favor" after receiving a medical exemption in order to participate in the Grand Slam tournament. Australian Open tournament director Craig Tiley stated that 26 unvaccinated players applied for the medical exemption and that only a "handful" were granted.

"We made it extra difficult for anyone applying for an application to ensure it was the right process and to make sure the medical experts deal with it independently," Tiley said. "There has been no special favor or special opportunity granted to Novak Djokovic or any tennis player. There's been a process that goes above and beyond the normal process for everyone."

Tiley also revealed that the reasoning for Djokovic receiving the exemption will remain private because "the personal information of any applicant is redacted to ensure the independence of the process."

Earlier in January, the Victorian government released a statement regarding the tournament's exemption policy and said that it has a "two-stage independent process" in order to verify if any player has "a genuine medical condition that meets the criteria for an exemption." Clearly, they decided that Djokovic does.

Djokovic is taking aim at his 21st Grand Slam title and is currently tied with Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal for the most Grand Slam titles in men's history. Nadal will be participating in the Australian Open after recently testing positive for COVID-19. Federer won't be taking part in the event as he is recovering from knee surgery.

https://www.cbssports.com/tennis/new...in-tournament/
[Reply]
KC_Connection 05:18 PM 01-05-2022

Legal challenge looms after Novak Djokovic refused entry into Australia
"A Tennis Australia source claimed the move was a publicity stunt that solely targeted Djokovic and not other players who had already entered with the same exemption." ❗️https://t.co/jjvWLhb5yA

— C Kristjánsdóttir ●�� (@CristinaNcl) January 5, 2022

First time a tennis player has ever been banned from a country for effectively being too good at tennis? Given that other lesser players got the same exemption, it looks like the Australian government went against their own standards to keep the guy out just because it was politically popular.
[Reply]
eDave 06:53 PM 01-05-2022
Truly the greatest returner of all time.

He got an exemption from vaccine requirements within a state of Australia through an independent medical review process which would allow him to play. He tried to enter Australia and the feds, who require non-citizens to be vaccinated, did not allow him to enter. Neither the feds nor the state government chose to use discretionary powers to let him in unvaccinated because it would be political suicide.

Think of it like this:

Florida said "come on down!"

United States said "nope."
[Reply]
Halfcan 10:27 PM 01-05-2022
Tennis players should unite and boycott this event because of human rights violations perpetrated by the Australian government.
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 10:57 PM 01-05-2022
Australians are trash people born of criminals.
[Reply]
Nickhead 11:43 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
Australians are trash people born of criminals.
Spoiler!

[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:55 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by Halfcan:
Tennis players should unite and boycott this event because of human rights violations perpetrated by the Australian government.
This 100% plain discrimination. Anyone who supports it or isn’t appalled by it is a shit human being.
[Reply]
Nickhead 05:58 PM 01-06-2022

[Reply]
alpha_omega 11:27 AM 01-10-2022

I’m pleased and grateful that the Judge overturned my visa cancellation. Despite all that has happened,I want to stay and try to compete @AustralianOpen
I remain focused on that. I flew here to play at one of the most important events we have in front of the amazing fans. 👇 pic.twitter.com/iJVbMfQ037

— Novak Djokovic (@DjokerNole) January 10, 2022

[Reply]
alpha_omega 08:18 PM 01-20-2022
Day 5, round 3 coming up.
[Reply]
alpha_omega 09:39 PM 01-27-2022
Mens semi up.

Nadal/Berrettini
[Reply]
alpha_omega 10:48 AM 01-28-2022
Rafael Nadal defeats Matteo Berrettini to reach Australian Open men's final

MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Rafael Nadal is within one victory of a men's record 21st Grand Slam singles title.

The 35-year-old Spaniard advanced to the Australian Open final for the sixth time with a 6-3, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3 win over seventh-seeded Matteo Berrettini on Friday.

He'll have to beat U.S. Open champion Daniil Medvedev on Sunday to make history. And Medvedev is chasing a piece of history of his own after reeling off the last five games to defeat Stefanos Tsitispas 7-6 (5), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1 in a heated semifinal. He's aiming to be the first man in the Open era to win his second Grand Slam title at the next major tournament.

The second-seeded Medvedev has had an emotional and challenging run to back-to-back Australian Open finals. He had to deal with a hostile crowd in his second-round win over Nick Kyrgios, had to save a match point and rally from two sets down to beat Felix Auger-Aliassime in a nearly five-hour quarterfinal win, and had to regain his composure after an angry outburst at the umpire on Friday.

He yelled at chair umpire Jaume Campistol after dropping serve in the second set, demanding that Tsitsipas be cautioned for receiving coaching from his father in the crowd. He took a five-minute break after dropping the set, took control late in the third set and then dominated the last five games after Tsitsipas was eventually cautioned for getting coaching from the stands.

Nadal's run to a 29th Grand Slam final has been comparatively serene.

After the last point, he stopped, beamed a wide grin and then punched the air three times.

Nadal arrived in Australia not knowing how long he would last after months off the tour dealing with a serious foot injury and then a bout of COVID-19. He skipped Wimbledon after losing in the French Open semifinals to Novak Djokovic, and didn't play at all after August.

“Every day has been an issue in terms of problems on the foot. Doubts still here ... probably for the rest of my career because I have what I have and that’s something that we cannot fix," Nadal said. “But for me it’s amazing ... (to) just compete and play tennis at the high level again, facing the most important players of the world.”

Last month, he wasn't even sure he'd be able to return to the tour. But he won a tune-up tournament in Melbourne to start 2022 and has taken six straight matches at the first Grand Slam event of the year.

One more and he'll break the record of 20 major championships he shares with Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic. Nadal would also become just the fourth man to win all four Grand Slam titles at least twice.

Nadal's win over Wimbledon runner-up Berrettini, under a closed roof at Rod Laver Arena because of heavy rain, was his 500th on hard courts at tour level. He's only won the Australian Open once, in 2009.

Adding a second was his lone focus after yet another semifinal win.

“For me, it’s all about the Australian Open more than anything else,” Nadal said in his on-court TV interview. “I have been a little unlucky (here) in my career with some injuries. I played some amazing finals with good chances."

He lost classic five-set finals at Melbourne Park to Djokovic in 2012 and Federer in 2017. Nadal lost in four sets to Stan Wawrinka in 2014 and had a straight-set defeat against Djokovic three years ago.

“I feel very lucky that I won once," he said. "I never thought about another chance in 2022.”

Nadal broke Berrettini’s opening service games in the first two sets and, after dropping the third set on a rare service lapse, he rallied to finish off the match in just under three hours. That in itself was a relief after his long five-set win over Denis Shapovalov two days earlier in the quarterfinals.

Nadal was the only member of the so-called Big Three who had a chance to break the deadlock in Australia this time.

Federer missed the tournament to continue his recovery from knee surgery. Djokovic, who has won nine of his Grand Slam titles at Melbourne Park, was deported after an 11-day visa saga on the eve of the tournament because he failed to meet Australia's strict COVID-19 vaccination requirements.

“To be able to be where I am today, I don’t know, I really can’t explain in words how important is for me in terms of energy, in terms of personal satisfaction, in terms of being very thankful,” Nadal said. "For me it’s something completely unexpected, so I am super happy.

“For me, it’s a present, just be here and play tennis.”

He said he was taking a different approach to his preparations, but couldn't really change his approach on court.

“I am taking now the things a little bit in a different way. Of course always with competitive spirit that I have, because I can’t go against that. It’s my personal DNA,” he said. “But in some way, I don’t know, just be what I am and be able to have the chance to compete at this level, it’s a positive energy for me to keep going.”

Medevedev will need to take a calmer approach after beating Tsitsipas in the semifinals for the second year in a row at Melbourne Park. He lost to Djokovic in last year's final, but then beat the No. 1-ranked player for the U.S. Open title.

“I’m going to play again against one of the greatest,” Medvedev said of Sunday's final. “Again, I’m going to play somebody going for the 21st Slam. I'm ready.”
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...al/9251086002/
[Reply]
Gary Cooper 10:52 AM 01-28-2022
Nadal is nothing compared to Djokovic. He only wins majors on clay or when Djokovic isn't playing.

When is the last time he beat Novak in a major not on clay? 2010?
[Reply]
Page 32 of 33
« First < 222829303132 33 >
Up