ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Nzoner's Game Room>Any CP Blacksmiths/Bladesmiths?
BigBeauford 12:05 PM 01-20-2022
I've caught the bladesmithing bug from watching a crap-ton of Forged in Fire, and will finally get the chance to make a knife from railroad spike at a workshop. Any tips or things to keep in mind? And while we're here, feel free to drop some of your projects from both past and present!
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:45 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by seclark:
Son brought me another knife from Japan that’s probably the sharpest in my collection. Opens like a straight razor. Cut your dick skinner off.
sec
Japanese razor blades are the shit. Just touch your beard and the hair falls off. So sharp you can't even feel them when they nick you.
[Reply]
Easy 6 03:41 PM 01-20-2022
I never realized just how interesting this craft is until FIF came around, I've watched countless hours of this show and its always entertaining and informative

Actually just watched the railroad spike episode 4-5 days ago, where everyone got 3 spikes and had to do something slightly different with each one, while maintaining the look of a spike knife

Its easy to see how it can get in your blood pdq, I'd totally jump at the chance to learn how... have fun BB, just make sure it will keel
[Reply]
BigBeauford 03:48 PM 01-20-2022
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
I never realized just how interesting this craft is until FIF came around, I've watched countless hours of this show and its always entertaining and informative

Actually just watched the railroad spike episode 4-5 days ago, where everyone got 3 spikes and had to do something slightly different with each one, while maintaining the look of a spike knife

Its easy to see how it can get in your blood pdq, I'd totally jump at the chance to learn how... have fun BB, just make sure it will keel

[Reply]
srvy 05:30 PM 01-20-2022
Industrial saw blades and old leaf springs make excellent knives that will hold a nice edge.

I kinda wonder about RR spikes. That's soft steel intended to be that way due to striking metal to metal. It intended to be softer than the sledge head hitting it so it doesn't flake off causing injury. I guess they retemper it in a forge I think it's called annealing.
[Reply]
srvy 05:46 PM 01-20-2022
If you need RR Spikes a walk along RR tracks you will find them everywhere old ones discarded. But be careful they frown on you being on their right of way now and the RR has their own RR Police and will arrest with full power of the law.

Land surveyors use rr spikes to drive into power poles to use for elevation benchmarks. and even land corners for shopping mall lease lines in asphalt paving. Anytime we are working along tracks we stock up on spikes and cut of sections of track make great anvil's we can usually get a track maintenance crew to cut to length on spot with their saw. To get it cut at a metal shop is expensive as it ruins their blade and the figure it in on the cut to length.

Sawzall blade knife

[Reply]
srvy 05:56 PM 01-20-2022

[Reply]
Deberg_1990 07:12 PM 01-20-2022
No, I don’t have a beard or any facial piercings.
[Reply]
threebag 10:41 PM 01-20-2022
I use to make knives back in the late 80s in school. Won a bunch of awards, nice inlay and antler handles.

Stay away from China steel, that shit sucks. I always opted for the German Steel.
[Reply]
redfan 08:24 AM 01-21-2022
I used to have a balisong. I have no idea what ever happened to it. I need to get a new one, and MidwayUSA looks like they have some good ones.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 12:37 PM 01-27-2022
This was a great experience!

[Reply]
Iowanian 12:44 PM 01-27-2022
I’ve got some horseshoe rasps if someone was in the market.
[Reply]
Groves 03:52 PM 05-08-2022
Hope my wife loves her Mother’s Day gift!

I’ve been looking for a Fisher anvil for some time. No longer. Well, who am I kidding, I’m always looking (for more anvils, not more wives).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
LiveSteam 04:16 PM 05-08-2022
Nothing like a good old anvil shoot to start your day.

Lots of blacksmith clubs around..
Try. Blacksmith Association Of Missouri.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up