ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: Who was QB when you became a fan?
Cotton Davidson 0 0%
Len Dawson 98 24.56%
Mike Livingston 14 3.51%
Steve Fuller 12 3.01%
Bill Kenney 20 5.01%
Todd Blackledge 2 0.50%
Bill Kenney 17 4.26%
Steve DeBerg 109 27.32%
Dave Krieg 11 2.76%
Joe Montana 68 17.04%
Steve Bono 8 2.01%
Elvis Grbac 12 3.01%
Rich Gannon 1 0.25%
Trent Green 16 4.01%
Brodie Croyle 1 0.25%
Matt Cassel 2 0.50%
Alex Smith 8 2.01%
Patrick Mahomes 0 0%
One of the other guys who wasn't a starter. 0 0%
Voters: 399. You may not vote on this poll
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Who was the QB when you became a Chiefs fan?
Sorce 03:34 PM 01-17-2019
The first one I can remember as the QB watching Chiefs games was Steve DeBerg that would have put me at about 6-9 years old when I became a fan and really started following the team.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 12:15 AM 01-19-2019
It was 1977 and I was 6, and the QB was Mike Livingston. I don't remember who we were playing, but I remember the father figure and male role model in my life, my brother-in-law, kept saying "he's no Dawson." I asked "what's a Dawson?" and he said "it's not a what, it's a who" and then I heard the history of how this mysterious Dawson led the Chiefs to a Super Bowl victory the year, 13 months really, before I was born.

I think you can probably guess my next question, but for those of you who can't, it was "What's a super bowl? Is it a special bowl?" I was six, watching the first NFL game of my life, and I didn't understand why teams would play for a bowl, like the one I used for cereal.

But I have been a Kansas City Chiefs fan since that day. I have waited nearly 42 years for my team to replace that mysterious Dawson guy, and they finally have.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
suzzer99 12:25 AM 01-19-2019
I had a similar story, same age and year, except my stepdad was a Cowboys fan. And they beat the Broncos in the SB so I was hooked. Randy White was my idol. Then they lost to the Steelers the next year and I was devastated. Then they didn't even make the SB the next year and my little brain couldn't even comprehend how that was possible. They they lost to The Catch and I truly understood what sports fandom pain was about.

Then in 1982 The Chiefs started 6-2 and I remember my stepdad saying they'd probably make the playoffs. What? The Chiefs don't make the playoffs. That's crazy. And they didn't. But I was slowly getting hooked and identifying with my hometown team.

In 1986 I was the only one of in my family who believed we would make the playoffs. I kept saying - we just gotta win the last 3 games. I think it's going to happen. And then I got to experience my first ever playoff party for a home football team! Oh - this is what people do. This is fun. And they promptly stunk up the joint.

And the rest we all know.
[Reply]
lcarus 12:37 AM 01-19-2019
I was born into being a Chiefs fan so Bill Kenney was the QB the year I was born. But I didn't really get into football until I was 10 years old. Joe Montana.
[Reply]
ChiefsFanatic 01:43 AM 01-19-2019
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I had a similar story, same age and year, except my stepdad was a Cowboys fan. And they beat the Broncos in the SB so I was hooked. Randy White was my idol. Then they lost to the Steelers the next year and I was devastated. Then they didn't even make the SB the next year and my little brain couldn't even comprehend how that was possible. They they lost to The Catch and I truly understood what sports fandom pain was about.

Then in 1982 The Chiefs started 6-2 and I remember my stepdad saying they'd probably make the playoffs. What? The Chiefs don't make the playoffs. That's crazy. And they didn't. But I was slowly getting hooked and identifying with my hometown team.

In 1986 I was the only one of in my family who believed we would make the playoffs. I kept saying - we just gotta win the last 3 games. I think it's going to happen. And then I got to experience my first ever playoff party for a home football team! Oh - this is what people do. This is fun. And they promptly stunk up the joint.

And the rest we all know.
That team's Special Teams unit is widely regarded as the greatest Special Teams unit of all time.

https://youtu.be/QuLqejyZkoo

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
jd1020 03:13 AM 01-19-2019
The first one I can remember was Grbac and even at 10 years old couldn't understand going back to him after Gannon happened in the playoffs.
[Reply]
Matrix 06:40 AM 01-19-2019
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
You have joined us at a good time.
Sure did, and I'm here to stay. The Chiefs are the reason why I still give a damn about the NFL
[Reply]
Sweet Daddy Hate 08:59 AM 01-19-2019
DeBerg. (the QB, NOT that poster who craves Watson penii)

And I'm not surprised that he is winning the poll. The Chiefs of the late 70's and entire 80's were hot, flaming garbages that couldn't sell a shirt or hat to a naked third world refugee.
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 09:05 AM 01-19-2019
Bill Kenney, 1980.
[Reply]
cooper barrett 10:52 AM 01-19-2019
As a kid Len Dawson, but I didn't become a fan who spent hundreds in $$$ to go to a game/ event until Montana showed up on the scene.
[Reply]
Halfcan 11:41 AM 01-19-2019
When I was a kid- Dawson was still the Qb but on the decline. We went to games as a family, but I don't have any specific memories of them, unfortunately. I only have memories of Dawson being on television.

The first game I remember attending, the Chiefs had Livingston I think. The stadium was so empty my friend and I walked around the entire lower level without anyone in the way. Arrowhead was a ghost town through the 80's as well. I have watched every QB play at Arrowhead except Mahomes.
[Reply]
dlphg9 11:47 AM 01-19-2019
Need multiple options. It was back when Elvis Grbac and Rich Gannon were dueling it out. I just remember being very little but I can remember my family bitching about how they wanted Gannon to start full time.
[Reply]
Wallcrawler 12:06 PM 01-19-2019
Montana. I was 15, and didnt really give a shit about any sport. My uncle sat me down and said I needed to be watching football, and the chiefs, because we now has the greatest qb of all time.

So he taught me the game, and I got hooked.

The OT game against the Steelers had my nerves shot, shaming Buddy Ryan in his own house, and going to the AFC title game.

Then 13:25 in the third happened. Talley and Smith bounce Joe's head off the Astroturf and our hopes rested on Dave Kreig. Lost 30-13.

25 years later, I'm 40 years old and just about a week ago finally saw my Chiefs win a home playoff game.

Jesus. 25 years.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 12:12 PM 01-19-2019
Born a few days within our only sb win in 1970. Dad had season tix in the 70's my first game was 1976 and I was 6 years old. I don't remember anything about the game lolz. I do however remember we used to get excited saying oh Stabler, Fouts, Zorn were coming to town. I also remember always asking dad why is it we can never win games. I got that it's not about winning games it's about having a good time. Bill Kenney threw the ugliest ducks you have ever seen and they were almost always completed.

I remember a Giants game where all we had to do was run a couple of plays and to win and the Giants forced a fumble and returned it for a TD. I was really disappointed that game, but since then i've gotten used to that feeling. Now that we have Mahomes things have really changed huh? :-)
[Reply]
Wally1219 12:57 PM 01-19-2019
Lenny the cool. My parents drove to Vegas for the first Super Bowl. Grew up watching the movie my Dad shot of the trip and the game on his movie camera. Used to sell programs at the games in the early 80s. You’d get in for free and be able to watch the 2nd half from wherever you could find a seat. Was at the first Indy Playoff loss. Lost my voice for a week screaming “Run the damn ball!” As Bono would bounce another incomplete pass. My dad still watches old games from the 90s that he recorded on VHS while he’s on the treadmill. We bleed Red and Gold. Always have.
[Reply]
Bewbies 01:01 PM 01-19-2019
Montana or Bono. Grbac was when I realized I should have chosen a different team to enjoy. :-)
[Reply]
Page 11 of 14
« First < 7891011 121314 >
Up