ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 356 of 3903
« First < 256306346352353354355356 3573583593603664064568561356 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 08:59 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When my now 6 year old was 2, I taught her 'knockdown hugs' where I'd put her in a 3-point stance and have her rocket out of it for her bedtime hugs.

Last night we taught the twins the same thing. And the boy is built like a ball-peen hammer so he'd get flying across the room, drill the 6 year old in the chest, knock her across the floor and then they'd all just sit there and laugh their asses off. Then baby girl would try to do the same, bounce off (because she's built like a twig) and also lay on the ground laughing. Then the twins chased each other around trying to tackle/hug each other and for about 10 minutes the whole house was just my 3 kids laughing hysterically while running around like idiots instead of getting ready for bed.

Then I had a scotch, watched some mindless TV, drilled a couple more cleats into the lumber rack I'm building and went to bed. This morning my wife made sure my 'alarm clock' was....quite a bit more pleasant than usual. (eds. note: I do not have an alarm clock). Today's the last day of school so it was the last 'normal' morning of making my daughter breakfast and taking her through the drop-off line.

Fuck everyone today. I'm gonna have a good day and I don't give a shit if the rest of the world wants to drown themselves in misery. Today I'm going to enjoy what I have. Maybe it'll just make tomorrow suck twice as badly, I dunno - I don't care. I'm gonna get shit done today, return the favor with the wife tonight, get to sleep by 10:30 and figure out tomorrow tomorrow.

Like you, I don't intend to let the assholes win today. They win most days already (and oft times I'm among them), but I'm not having it today.
Don't you have an old classic Camaro? Sounds like a good time to take it out for some internal combustion therapy.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 09:00 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
I just watched a thing 30 min video about what happened in Wuhan, and I have to say I don't really blame Chinese too much. When they got a mere 400 - 500 cases they locked that shit the fuck down. They built an entire new hospital. Their response was very good. It was the local authorities that somewhat muzzled that doctor who first tried to talk about it, but it didn't take long after that they were taking drastic actions to try to limit the spread.

I have a hard time of blaming a culture for something. The Spanish Flu of 1918 was accidentally created in USA, and I believe H1N1 if I'm not mistaken.

If it’s caused by eating raw or live bats, then yes that’s a cultural cause.
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:02 AM 03-17-2020

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:08 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Agreed.

The Chinese virus would have never infected humans if it wasn't for those disgusting wet markets which are basically just animal torture.. I mean the Chinese eat dogs for christ sakes. That culture has a real lack of respect for animals and anyone saying otherwise is just in denial.

Nothing racist about what I am saying either it's simply the truth
[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:10 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
Agreed. The Chinese virus would have never started if it wasn't for those disgusting wet markets which are basically just animal torture.. I mean the Chinese eat dogs for christ sakes. That culture has a real lack of respect for animals and anyone saying otherwise is just in denial.

Nothing racist about what I am saying either it's simply the truth
There are folks in South Asia who say the same thing about us and mad cow disease - especially with the risk of it or CWD passing through livestock to us in the U.S.

Wet Markets in China can be bad news, though. Especially if it really did pass from a bat through a Pangolin there which was the key for it to pass to humans.
[Reply]
suzzer99 09:11 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Strongside:
Daycare drop off was a little surreal this morning.

Medical staff in masks scanning all parents and kids temps in the lobby before allowing the child into a room.

Glad they're doing that, but it was a strange experience.
Yeah except for several studies which suggest people are most contagious with this before they get symptoms.

I feel like they are running the SARS playbook and haven't updated yet.
[Reply]
O.city 09:11 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When my now 6 year old was 2, I taught her 'knockdown hugs' where I'd put her in a 3-point stance and have her rocket out of it for her bedtime hugs.

Last night we taught the twins the same thing. And the boy is built like a ball-peen hammer so he'd get flying across the room, drill the 6 year old in the chest, knock her across the floor and then they'd all just sit there and laugh their asses off. Then baby girl would try to do the same, bounce off (because she's built like a twig) and also lay on the ground laughing. Then the twins chased each other around trying to tackle/hug each other and for about 10 minutes the whole house was just my 3 kids laughing hysterically while running around like idiots instead of getting ready for bed.

Then I had a scotch, watched some mindless TV, drilled a couple more cleats into the lumber rack I'm building and went to bed. This morning my wife made sure my 'alarm clock' was....quite a bit more pleasant than usual. (eds. note: I do not have an alarm clock). Today's the last day of school so it was the last 'normal' morning of making my daughter breakfast and taking her through the drop-off line.

**** everyone today. I'm gonna have a good day and I don't give a shit if the rest of the world wants to drown themselves in misery. Today I'm going to enjoy what I have. Maybe it'll just make tomorrow suck twice as badly, I dunno - I don't care. I'm gonna get shit done today, return the favor with the wife tonight, get to sleep by 10:30 and figure out tomorrow tomorrow.

Like you, I don't intend to let the assholes win today. They win most days already (and oft times I'm among them), but I'm not having it today.
Your posts helped me yesterday. We'll get thru it man. Keep moving forward.

We're a fucking tough species. We act like we're not but when shit hits the fan, we rise. We'll figure this thing out.
[Reply]
gblowfish 09:13 AM 03-17-2020

[Reply]
Marcellus 09:15 AM 03-17-2020
Some good info here. I just cant help but think we are overreacting which is better than under reacting I get that.

https://sharylattkisson.com/2020/03/...state-and-age/

Originally Posted by :
85 U.S. Coronavirus Deaths
Washington State
48 of total deaths from Washington State

43 deaths are from King County, Washington State

(29 King County deaths are from Life Care Center, Kirkland)

Newly reported on March 16, 2020

Man, 80s, died 3/15/2020
Woman, 70s, died 3/15/2020
Man, 80s, died 3/11/2020
Woman, 50s, died 3/8/2020, Harborview Medical Center
Woman, 70s, died 3/14/2020, Northwest Hospital
Woman, 90s, Redmond Care & Rehab, died 3/12/2020
Newly reported on March 15, 2020

Woman, 60s, Life Care Center, died 3/14/2020
Woman, 70s, Life Care Center, died 3/12/2020
Newly reported on March 14, 2020

2 men, 80s, Life Care Center
Woman, 70s
Newly reported on March 13, 2020

2 women, 90s, Life Care Center, died 3/6/2020
Woman, 80s, Life Care Center, died 3/6/2020
Man, 70s, died 3/4/2020
Man, 80s, died 3/9/2020
Woman, 70s, with underlying health conditions, died 3/11/2020
First two deaths in US, reported earlier

Woman, 80s, Life Care Center, died 2/26/2020
Man, 50s, Life Care Center, died 2/26/2020
4 Washington State deaths are from Snohomish County

Woman, 70s, with underlying health conditions, died 3/11/2020
Woman, 80s, with underlying health conditions, died 3/10/2020
Man, 80s, with underlying health conditions, died 3/9/2020, Josephine Caring Community assisted living
Man, 40s, with underlying health conditions
1 Washington State death is from Grant County, a patient in their 80s

Woman, 90s, in assisted living, with underlying health conditions, died 3/10/2020
Woman, 60s, who had been hospitalized in Santa Clara, died 3/9/2020
Man, 71, with underlying health conditions, Grand Princess cruise ship, died 3/4/2020
Woman, 80s, Santa Clara, died 3/13/2020
Woman visitor to L.A. County who had layover in S. Korea, died 3/11/2020
Death announced 3/13/2020, no details given
New York
10 from New York

Woman, 82
Man, 64 or 65
Woman, 79
Man, 78
Man, 56,
Woman, 53
No details provided for 4 patients
California
7 from California

4 from Santa Clara County including:

Man, 80s, hospitalized 3/7/2020, died 03/15/2020

Man, 50s, hospitalized 3/12/2020, died 3/15/2020

Florida
5 from Florida

2 people, 70s, had traveled overseas
Woman, 69, went straight from Asia to California (where she died)
Man, 77
Woman, 79, hospitalized with other health conditions, then got coronavirus, Orange County
Louisiana
3 from Louisiana, all Orleans Parish

1 Patient, 58, hospitalized with underlying health conditions

1 Person, 80s, from Lambeth House retirement community

1 Patient, no details

New Jersey
2 from New Jersey

Man, 69, diabetic who suffered two cardiac arrests
Woman, 50s, no details given
South Dakota
1 from South Dakota: Man, 60-69, with underlying medical conditions

Georgia
1 from Georgia: Man, 67, with underlying medical conditions

Kansas
1 from Kansas: Man, 70s, with underlying health conditions, Life Care Center, Kansas City

Colorado
1 from Colorado: Woman, 80s with underlying health conditions

Virginia
1 from Virginia: Man, 70s

Oregon
1 from Oregon: Man, 70, Portland Veterans’ Affairs Medical Center, with underlying medical conditions

Nevada
1 from Nevada: Man, 60s, with underlying health conditions

South Carolina
1 from South Carolina: “Elderly” resident of Lexington Medical Center Extended Care Skilled Nursing Facility

Indiana
1 from Indiana, “over 60” with “other health problems”

Kentucky
1 from Kentucky: Man, had stroke and pneumonia, was tested for coronavirus after being admitted to hospital

[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 09:15 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
There are folks in South Asia who say the same thing about us and mad cow disease - especially with the risk of it or CWD passing through livestock to us in the U.S.

Wet Markets in China can be bad news, though. Especially if it really did pass from a bat through a Pangolin there which was the key for it to pass to humans.
Oh come on comparing cows to what goes on at wet market or Yulin Dog Meat Festival is a little ridiculous.

Yes Cows and other animals are slaughtered here but it is regulated to make sure it is done in a humane way and we arent killing mans best friend by the 1000s in a 'festival'.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 09:16 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
He's got chills, they're multiplying. He's losing control.

Turns out it's only Saturday Night Fever though.
So you're saying he's Stayin' Alive?
[Reply]
BWillie 09:19 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
We should all go vegan, then, too then with that logic because diseases can easily spread as well at American our tightly enclosed chicken & pig farms. It already has.

Also, it's not just eating bats. Bats can leave droppings passing to pigs, cattle, chickens etc. I read that they believe a bat passed this to a pangolin and that is how Covid-19 is thought to have initially spread.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:20 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Don't you have an old classic Camaro? Sounds like a good time to take it out for some internal combustion therapy.
I do. It's got an ignition gremlin right now that I can't quite get a handle on. Starter motor works just fine but every now and again the ignition just decides it doesn't care to work. I get a click and nothing else. Battery is plenty strong so it's not that. When it's misbehaving like that I get real nervous about getting stranded.

Also a minor fuel pickup problem that creates issues if I try to put it into a corner with any degree of aggression. Not sure how I'll address that but I'm confident it will be a pain in the ass. The Fuel Injection conversion made it 1,000 times more driveable but has created a few of those little issues w/ the ECU and fuel system (had to move the fuel pump, etc...). I limped her through the last month of driving season figuring I'll fix it in the spring.

But no worries - the new truck is a !@#$ing cadillac with a bed on it (2020 Ram Limited) and the sooner I get the lumber rack re-built, the sooner I can get all this shit off my shop floor and build a new miter saw table/hood and feed table for my jointer. Once that's done I can run a couple new trunks for the dust collector and with the new layout it'll increase the shops functionality quite a bit. I'll just be happy to not have that damn miter saw not shooting sawdust everywhere.

I mean it's just hard to explain to people right now "no, I'm not sick - I'm just a poorly prepared amateur woodworker who's shop is full of particulate and you fuckers stole all the shop masks thinking that a home depot particulate mask will do ANYTHING for viral spread. So presently my lungs are full of pine dust and i'm just gonna have to hack that up for awhile. Sorry..."
[Reply]
Hydrae 09:25 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by KS Smitty:
This website was set up by a 17 year old.

https://ncov2019.live/data
That is nicely done. Looking through that data I just want to know what Germany is doing differently and what France is doing so wrong:

Germany
Confirmed: 7,974
Deaths: 20
Recovered: 67
Serious: 0

France
Confirmed: 6,633
Deaths: 148
Recovered: 12
Serious: 300
[Reply]
DaFace 09:28 AM 03-17-2020
Originally Posted by Marcellus:
Some good info here. I just cant help but think we are overreacting which is better than under reacting I get that.
I think this states my opinion about it well:

A school Superintendent said something profound in his address cancelling school for the next 3 weeks. “In the end, it will be impossible to know if we overreacted or did too much, but it will be QUITE apparent if we under reacted or did too little.”

Hear those words my friends.

— Douglas Massengill, Ed.D. (@drmassen) March 14, 2020

[Reply]
Page 356 of 3903
« First < 256306346352353354355356 3573583593603664064568561356 > Last »
Up