ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 69 of 146
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379119 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let’s talk about the Eagles (Super Bowl edition!)
RunKC 09:23 PM 01-29-2023
Well fellas what do we think?
[Reply]
New World Order 11:40 AM 02-03-2023
We’re going to kill them!!!!
[Reply]
smithandrew051 11:50 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by New World Order:
We’re going to kill them!!!!
Okay now THAT would be epic
[Reply]
Youngbuck17 11:52 AM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
It’s probably no coincidence that Reddick, Hargrave, Graham, and Sweat are all at different stages of their careers, but all just happened to post a career high in sacks this year. Even Fletcher Cox posted his highest total since 2018.
Biggest reason, according to the players, for their increased sack totals this year (although Reddick has been in double digits before) is the depth of the Dline allowing them to sub quite often. So even though they are taking less reps, those reps are more productive as they stay fresh. Also, Sweat is a young player just coming into his own. I expected this jump for him this year. Hargrave and Graham have likely benefitted most by the more frequent subbing.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:01 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by Youngbuck17:
Biggest reason, according to the players, for their increased sack totals this year (although Reddick has been in double digits before) is the depth of the Dline allowing them to sub quite often. So even though they are taking less reps, those reps are more productive as they stay fresh. Also, Sweat is a young player just coming into his own. I expected this jump for him this year. Hargrave and Graham have likely benefitted most by the more frequent subbing.
Playing against awful QBs helps too
[Reply]
DRM08 12:06 PM 02-03-2023
You're absolutely right. I think the OPers were probably bringing up the issue because none of the posts (that I saw) that spoke about Hurts not being very good (poor man's Lamar Jackson...etc) ever referenced his injured shoulder. Perhaps they meant "now that his shoulder is hurt" he's not as dynamic of a passer, but none of the posts downplaying him ever gave that disclaimer. So it makes it seem as though they are discussing his entire season, which I think is exactly what they were doing. As if he wasn't the MVP favorite or runner up prior to the injury.
But no doubt, the arm injury is a large concern now, and he simply hasn't looked as good since trying to come back from it. Mahomes may have an ankle injury but I'd take that all day over a QB with a shoulder injury on his throwing arm.
Do you think Jalen will need surgery when the season is over?
[Reply]
BryanBusby 12:07 PM 02-03-2023
What, is he turning to Jaylena during the offseason?
[Reply]
kccrow 12:07 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
If you watch that sack video, Romo mentioned in one of the games that the Eagles love to rush 5. They also love to run a ton of stunts.
They blitz Reddick all the time.

I have a feeling Reid is going to screen them to death, honestly. Nothing better against an ultra-aggressive front like they have.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:10 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
They blitz Reddick all the time.

I have a feeling Reid is going to screen them to death, honestly. Nothing better against an ultra-aggressive front like they have.
Think McKinnon has a Damien Williams-like impact on this Super Bowl?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:15 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/v...he-2022-season

There's all of their sacks if you want to go watch them.

Jesus Christ, Carson Wentz has literally ZERO pocket awareness.
Wow.

Thanks for sharing. This kind of reinforced my thoughts about the Eagles' pass rush perhaps not being as dominant as stats alone would suggest.

Awful lot of bad, overmatched OLs (ie, not as good as the Chiefs). Awful lot of below average QBs being indecisive with the ball.

The Chiefs have a good OL, a QB with excellent pocket presence and awareness, and willl schematically work to get the ball out quick.

You don't see a LOT of quick wins in their season sack sequence. You see ends winning with power (even Reddick does not have a lot of quick-twitch wins). You see a group doing their job.

It's a good group, but the weak Os and QBs have inflated the sack numbers.
[Reply]
tredadda 12:21 PM 02-03-2023
You're absolutely right. I think the OPers were probably bringing up the issue because none of the posts (that I saw) that spoke about Hurts not being very good (poor man's Lamar Jackson...etc) ever referenced his injured shoulder. Perhaps they meant "now that his shoulder is hurt" he's not as dynamic of a passer, but none of the posts downplaying him ever gave that disclaimer. So it makes it seem as though they are discussing his entire season, which I think is exactly what they were doing. As if he wasn't the MVP favorite or runner up prior to the injury.
But no doubt, the arm injury is a large concern now, and he simply hasn't looked as good since trying to come back from it. Mahomes may have an ankle injury but I'd take that all day over a QB with a shoulder injury on his throwing arm.
I’ve said it before and I will say it again, Hurts has really developed a ton since he was a rush first QB as a freshman at Alabama. How well he played this year is impressive. I also believe that if his injury is better by the SB, the Eagles will be tough. If not I like our chances on defense. I do not doubt our secondary’s ability to hang with the Eagles receivers after what they did last week. Hurts not being as effective of a thrower due to injury makes their job easier. Plus I would wonder how many times they would design run him knowing he is injured.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:30 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Wow.

Thanks for sharing. This kind of reinforced my thoughts about the Eagles' pass rush perhaps not being as dominant as stats alone would suggest.

Awful lot of bad, overmatched OLs (ie, not as good as the Chiefs). Awful lot of below average QBs being indecisive with the ball.

The Chiefs have a good OL, a QB with excellent pocket presence and awareness, and willl schematically work to get the ball out quick.

You don't see a LOT of quick wins in their season sack sequence. You see ends winning with power (even Reddick does not have a lot of quick-twitch wins). You see a group doing their job.

It's a good group, but the weak Os and QBs have inflated the sack numbers.
The advanced stats on Pro Football Reference back this up. They’re middle of the pack in both Hurry % and Knockdown %.

They’re second in pressure percentage, but they’re right in line with the other top pass rushes in the league.

The chasm that exists between them and everybody else in sacks doesn’t seem to exist in the other pass rush metrics. That leads me to believe that the bad QBs they played all year weren’t good enough or didn’t have the presence to get rid of the ball. They either weren’t finding receivers or they didn’t know when to throw it away and live to fight another down.

I know these stats can be a little weird with how they’re calculated and all, but you would think a team that leads the league in sacks by 15 would also have a pretty wide margin over everyone else in the other metrics.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...s/2022/opp.htm
[Reply]
ptlyon 12:54 PM 02-03-2023
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...imulation/amp/
[Reply]
kccrow 12:56 PM 02-03-2023
Odd thing I realized today when looking at the Eagles games...

When teams held the Eagles to less than 400 yards of total offense, the Eagles averaged 22.0 ppg and were 6-2.

In games where the Eagles had 400 or more yards of total offense, the Eagles averaged 33.6 ppg and were 10-1.

What was more interesting was how those teams held the Eagles' offense down.
In games of 400+ yards, the Eagles averaged 262.7 passing ypg and 174.7 rushing ypg. In those games < 400 yards, the Eagles averaged 185.5 passing ypg and 125.4 rushing ypg.

Of those 8 games < 400, remove the Saints game and you have only one instance where the Eagles rushed for less than 135 yards and that was the game they got destroyed by Washington (94 yds).

So the real theory might not be to sell out on the run to shut them down. It just may be to shut down the pass. Obviously, you can't let them pop off for 200+ rushing yards though.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:57 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Think McKinnon has a Damien Williams-like impact on this Super Bowl?
Very possible.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 12:59 PM 02-03-2023
Originally Posted by kccrow:
Odd thing I realized today when looking at the Eagles games...

When teams held the Eagles to less than 400 yards of total offense, the Eagles averaged 22.0 ppg and were 6-2.

In games where the Eagles had 400 or more yards of total offense, the Eagles averaged 33.6 ppg and were 10-1.

What was more interesting was how those teams held the Eagles' offense down.
In games of 400+ yards, the Eagles averaged 262.7 passing ypg and 174.7 rushing ypg. In those games < 400 yards, the Eagles averaged 185.5 passing ypg and 125.4 rushing ypg.

Of those 8 games < 400, remove the Saints game and you have only one instance where the Eagles rushed for less than 135 yards and that was the game they got destroyed by Washington (94 yds).

So the real theory might not be to sell out on the run to shut them down. It just may be to shut down the pass. Obviously, you can't let them pop off for 200+ rushing yards though.
That makes a lot of sense. Lamar Jackson put up some crazy passing performances when teams sold out against the run and let him make easy reads.

I really don’t think a run game alone is beating Mahomes. It takes balance and a QB on the other side making big throws. Probably smart to make that difficult on Hurts.
[Reply]
Page 69 of 146
« First < 19596566676869 7071727379119 > Last »
Up