ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3855 of 3903
« First < 2855335537553805384538513852385338543855 38563857385838593865 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
kepp 03:05 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I'm honestly a bit annoyed that I'm sick right now with a cold that is NOT COVID (as are a number of family members). While I would have felt a bit guilty if we'd spread it around to each other over Xmas, it sucks to be fighting off a head cold and not even getting the immunity boost. :-)
Yep...had that last week
[Reply]
TimBone 03:27 PM 01-04-2022
I'm honestly a bit annoyed that I'm sick right now with a cold that is NOT COVID (as are a number of family members). While I would have felt a bit guilty if we'd spread it around to each other over Xmas, it sucks to be fighting off a head cold and not even getting the immunity boost. :-)
Originally Posted by Fish:
LOL.. same. My daughter got some mild symptoms right before Christmas. Inevitably gave it to me. Her test came back as influenza, and I'm like "I got sick for nothing?"
Wife and son spent most of the Christmas break leading up to the holiday fighting off something with a lot of the normal cold/flu/covid symptoms. Son had it first, and we home tested him twice for covid. Both tests negative. Wife eventually got it as well. I never got it, but I did think it sucked they had to spend their break that way.

This is the second time in three years for both of them. They both got the flu Christmas break of '19.

Edit: and both times my son brought it home from school. The flu in '19 a parent knowingly sent their kid to school with it. She vomited while sitting next to my son in class, and I'd assume that's when he got it.
[Reply]
chinaski 05:15 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by sedated:
I'm no scientist, I don't even do my own research, but one would think that the combination of natural immunity and the initial vax would be just about as effective as the vax and booster.

I'm not even sure I got covid (I was sick after close contact Oct 2020 but never got a test), but I'm not rushing out to get the booster. I thought that was supposed to be for people at high risk, but suddenly its assumed everyone should get it(?). Add that to the new strain being less severe and I'm not really worried at all.
Booster hit me really hard, a lot worse than the first two shots (all three Pfizer).

Also, Delta didn't just magically disappear. I would be willing to suspect that a lot of the hospitalizations are probably related to that variant, considering all data is pointing to Omicron being more mild. I'm sure some people will have a difficult time with it (Omicron) and require hospitalization, folks with underlying conditions etc. But Delta is still lurking I am sure.

Plus you probably have a lot of people getting symptoms and flipping out putting a strain on ER's etc.
[Reply]
Donger 05:19 PM 01-04-2022
CDC variant estimate has been updated:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...nt-proportions
[Reply]
loochy 05:25 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by chinaski:
Booster hit me really hard, a lot worse than the first two shots (all three Pfizer).

Also, Delta didn't just magically disappear. I would be willing to suspect that a lot of the hospitalizations are probably related to that variant, considering all data is pointing to Omicron being more mild. I'm sure some people will have a difficult time with it (Omicron) and require hospitalization, folks with underlying conditions etc. But Delta is still lurking I am sure.
Plus you probably have a lot of people getting symptoms and flipping out putting a strain on ER's etc.

THIS. People are going to the ER to get covid TESTS. WTF :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 05:41 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by Donger:

95% Omicron last week. It's amazing how quickly it took over.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:02 PM 01-04-2022
Originally Posted by TLO:
Is this the most infectious disease in history?
More than measles without a vaccine?
[Reply]
TimBone 06:48 PM 01-04-2022

That's wild. Less than a month and Omicron is 95% of the cases.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:50 PM 01-04-2022
Good Twitter Thread re: Omicron in London

NEW: first thread of 2022 is an Omicron situation update, starting with a detailed look at UK hospitals, before going international.

Let’s start with severity, and the most important chart:

Despite steep rises in cases and patients, the number on ventilators has barely risen. pic.twitter.com/p1mzD7DorK

— John Burn-Murdoch (@jburnmurdoch) January 4, 2022

[Reply]
O.city 07:24 PM 01-04-2022
Vaccine and natural infection is as protected as I need I think
[Reply]
Fish 04:20 PM 01-05-2022
Metro hospitals are feeling the results of the holidays...

KC area hospitals hold joint news conference as COVID hospitalizations rise: 'We are at a critical juncture'

Around 600 workers at the University of Kansas Health System in Kansas City, KS, are out sick, as the hospital is treating over 120 COVID patients. Of those patients, 90 are active infections, with 84 of those active infection patient unvaccinated. Nineteen patients are in the ICU, with 12 on the ventilator. All of KU Hospital's patients on the ventilator are unvaccinated, said Chief Medical Officer Steve Stites.

Those numbers have been climbing rapidly in the past week. Doctors are urging those who have held out to this point to get vaccinated, and get a booster shot when able.

"This is a critical time. We are at a critical juncture," Stites said during the news conference.

University of Kansas Health System:

Children's Mercy Hospital:

HCA Midwest local hospitals:

Olathe Health:

University Health (formerly Truman Medical Center):

Kansas City VA Hospital:

Stormont Vail Hospital (Topeka):

[Reply]
stanleychief 04:39 PM 01-05-2022
I was sick the last two weeks with what I thought was the flu. I went to a drive up Covid testing location and had two nasal swabs done. One was for the rapid antigen test, and the other goes off to a lab for a PCR test if the antigen test is negative. Both came back negative. It's strange, because I lost my sense of smell, which is usually a giveaway sign for Covid.

I ran across a few articles that were talking about nasal swabbing returning false negative results for Omicron. Instead, a throat swab is also being recommended by a few doctors.

Is a throat swab with a nose swab a better way to detect omicron?

It makes me wonder if this 'flu' that I had was actually the omicron variant.
[Reply]
stanleychief 04:43 PM 01-05-2022
Originally Posted by TimBone:
Wife and son spent most of the Christmas break leading up to the holiday fighting off something with a lot of the normal cold/flu/covid symptoms. Son had it first, and we home tested him twice for covid. Both tests negative. Wife eventually got it as well. I never got it, but I did think it sucked they had to spend their break that way.

This is the second time in three years for both of them. They both got the flu Christmas break of '19.

Edit: and both times my son brought it home from school. The flu in '19 a parent knowingly sent their kid to school with it. She vomited while sitting next to my son in class, and I'd assume that's when he got it.
That seems to happen a lot to me too. I usually take the week between Christmas and New Years off. Normally, I get a cold/flu right around December 23rd and it clears up around January 2nd. :-)
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 05:00 PM 01-05-2022

95% Omicron last week. It's amazing how quickly it took over.
Originally Posted by TimBone:
That's wild. Less than a month and Omicron is 95% of the cases.
I don't believe it because they just said that the numbers that had been reported earlier were wrong by a huge number percentage. IIRC they reported that it was something like 78% and it was only 27%. They also said that the first numbers were based on an algorithm of probability, not actual physical results.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 06:23 PM 01-05-2022
Minnesota AG Keith Ellison tests positive for COVID-19 while abroad

I knew there would be a time he would finally come out.
[Reply]
Page 3855 of 3903
« First < 2855335537553805384538513852385338543855 38563857385838593865 > Last »
Up