ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 478 of 488
« First < 378428468474475476477478 479480481482 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****Official 2022 Free Agency Megathread****
The Franchise 10:55 AM 03-13-2022
Legal tampering period begins tomorrow, March 14th. Throw all of your rumors and moves in here.

Obviously, for the people who hate mega threads, feel free to create a new thread for larger moves and anything Chiefs.

DANIEL SORENSEN IS NO LONGER ON THIS TEAM!
[Reply]
RunKC 12:43 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Not really in our case.

I would explain it to you but I doubt you'd listen
Belichick did this all the time with substantial pass rushers. Hell teams did this to us all last year with cover 2 shell all the time
[Reply]
Chris Meck 03:57 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
So you think we're the exception to this rule? We're going to master getting coverage sacks somehow? Please explain to me.
You really are this dumb.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 04:54 PM 06-12-2022
If you don't understand the relationship between pass rush and coverage is symbiotic it's just not worth the effort to explain.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:55 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
If you don't understand the relationship between pass rush and coverage is symbiotic it's just not worth the effort to explain.
Pretty much.
[Reply]
Couch-Potato 05:03 PM 06-12-2022
CEH is the 29th-ranked FF RB.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:47 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Teams have new staff come in every year and don’t take so long to “gel”

I don’t know why the chiefs defense always does but I’m thinking it’s more talent than scheme
I think the draft supports this theory

Originally Posted by RealSNR:
Last year Spags was a fucking moron who valued the gritty slow whiffed tackling of Daniel Sorensen over literally anything else that had a remote chance of not sucking so much.

There’s your “gel time” last year
This is also true.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 05:54 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by Kiimosabi:
Here is a post that summarizes it.

The Chiefs looked at their pressure rate and realized they were seventh in the league. But it wasn't equating to sacks. Instead of fixing the pass rush, they are trying to improve the secondary.

Forcing QBs to take a full second longer to throw the ball would theoretically skyrocket our sack rate to the top ten in the league. They seem determined to do so, which is why they drafted five defensive backs, traded for a safety and brought in a dozen or so more guys to camp. They seem determined to fix the pass rush by fixing the secondary.
The Chiefs were the third best in the league in hurries per dropback. Only the Bills and Broncos hurried QBs more.

They were fourth worst in sacks.

Maybe the thinking was that blown coverages allowing pressured QBs to get out of trouble was the problem. You draft Karlaftis to add pressure and a shit load of DBs to take away the bailout open guys that killed us.
[Reply]
Coochie liquor 07:07 PM 06-12-2022
So you think Tua and Carr are on the same level?
What has either proven? Jesus, dude... get a grip. Carr is exactly who he’s been since he entered the league. Every defensive player knows it. Get some heat, and he wilts. Always has, always will. Do you think that the Fades OL is elite? At least the jury is still out on Tua. He had a horrible offensive coach, and no chance to succeed. Carr is on his third contract and what is his best finish? I’d absolutely take current Tua over Carr. At least he’s cheaper, and still somewhat unknown. The book on Carr has been out for a long time. They both have some real weapons now... let’s see how they finish this season. Both teams have the bad luck of being in a division with much better teams than they have. Chiefs, and Bills are still the cream of the crop. Faders, and Phins are still well behind them.
[Reply]
-King- 07:25 PM 06-12-2022
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I understand it. But the secondary benefits way more from a good pass rush than the pass rush benefits from a good secondary.

What would you rather have? An elite DE but average corners or an elite corner but average DEs? I bet you'd pick the former right? Especially when the secondary is filled with young players.
[Reply]
-King- 08:13 PM 06-12-2022
So to summarize and put a cute bow on everything... Our rookies and young players will require no time to adjust to the league and will play like vets right away. No patience needed. And not only will they play like vets, they'll play so well that they'll actually improve our pass rush.

I think that's kinda unfair expectations to place upon a bunch of rookies but hey, you guys know football in and out. I'm sure these expectations will stay consistent heading into the season and during the season.
[Reply]
RealSNR 08:45 PM 06-12-2022
So to summarize and put a cute bow on everything... Our rookies and young players will require no time to adjust to the league and will play like vets right away. No patience needed. And not only will they play like vets, they'll play so well that they'll actually improve our pass rush.

I think that's kinda unfair expectations to place upon a bunch of rookies but hey, you guys know football in and out. I'm sure these expectations will stay consistent heading into the season and during the season.

[Reply]
Kiimo 08:52 PM 06-12-2022

See I told you you wouldn't listen
[Reply]
JohnnyHammersticks 08:54 PM 06-12-2022

[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:16 AM 06-13-2022

Is anyone saying that? No. Nobody said that. As usual, you're being obtuse.
[Reply]
Chris Meck 06:42 AM 06-13-2022
I understand it. But the secondary benefits way more from a good pass rush than the pass rush benefits from a good secondary.

What would you rather have? An elite DE but average corners or an elite corner but average DEs? I bet you'd pick the former right? Especially when the secondary is filled with young players.
Alright last shot at trying to explain Veach's approach this off-season. I don't know why I'm bothering, but here goes.

If The Chiefs ranked 7th in pass rush win rate, meaning that your front 4 was defeating their blocks in 2.5 seconds yet not getting sacks what does that reflect?

It means that opposing QBs were able to find an open receiver in 2.5 seconds.

2.5 seconds is very quick. This would indicate that KC had real problems covering. The eye test tells us that Sorensen was particularly awful, and that Niemann was really useless also. Both were directly targeted repeatedly.

Ward was decent, but has never played the ball particularly well. Mathieu was not his prior self either.

It would appear that a serious effort was made to be able to cover longer than 2.5 seconds. A sack at less than 4 seconds would not be considered a 'coverage sack'. But if you can cover even a little better, the stats say KC would have a lot more sacks.

Will there be a learning curve with the young guys? Sure, more than likely. But is it also likely that just the increase in sheer athletic ability makes them better? It's hard to overstate just how shitty Sorensen and Niemann were. Poor athletes that also were constantly in the wrong place, taking poor angles to the ball, and whiffing on the tackles when they did manage to get there. Fucking terrible.

These new kids are FAR superior athletes, and the higher picks all have loads of experience. They're not projects. Karlaftis, McDuffie, Cook, and Chenal are NFL ready. Each are day one upgrades over the players they replace, even with some rookie mistakes.
[Reply]
Page 478 of 488
« First < 378428468474475476477478 479480481482 > Last »
Up