Tribal Warfare 03:12 PM 05-18-2022

[Reply]
KCUnited 01:25 PM 09-03-2022

[Reply]
Bowser 04:29 PM 09-03-2022
Haha, no shit
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 08:57 PM 09-03-2022
Y'all do understand that these companies will keep pumping out shitty products as long as you keep watching them, right?
[Reply]
Rausch 10:52 AM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by Just Passin' By:
Y'all do understand that these companies will keep pumping out shitty products as long as you keep watching them, right?
Exactly...
[Reply]
dlphg9 10:58 AM 09-04-2022
I don't think it's bad at all. Seems like the incels don't like it, but no big surprise there.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 11:12 AM 09-04-2022
I'm still enjoying the show.

It is silly AF. It is supposed to be.

Y'all taking shit too seriously.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 03:39 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

Can you blame people? The Marvel people have come to love over the last 15 years of course had silly moments but ultimately took itself, the stories, and the characters seriously. It’s not surprising people are going to need time adjusting to what seems to be a completely watered down and lazy universe of characters.
[Reply]
srvy 04:28 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
I don't think it's bad at all. Seems like the incels don't like it, but no big surprise there.
Spazz:-)

[Reply]
Rausch 05:14 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Can you blame people? The Marvel people have come to love over the last 15 years of course had silly moments but ultimately took itself, the stories, and the characters seriously. It’s not surprising people are going to need time adjusting to what seems to be a completely watered down and lazy universe of characters.
The first 15 years they cared about nailing the essence of the characters. The main point of those characters.

Now they're ruining characters. Abandoning what made them who they were and ignoring what their motivations were.

She Hulk was always Hulk's public defender. No one else (note Rick Jones and Cho) would stand with him in the bad times. His friends would betray him. Jen was always there.

Now she's telling him how he can't relate and how it's hard for her to get cat calls. It's a completely different character. It would be like if Batman went to anger management classes and said that learning the psychology of your teammates was toxic behavior.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 06:47 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
Meh, it is She Hulk. Granted it has been 30 years since I read any of her books, but I'm not seeing what they are ruining here.

If y'all can't take the now standard men don't/ can't understand lines, not sure why you bother watching any of this stuff.

This show is funny as hell. Enjoy what it is, and stop being so damn serious.

It is fuck loads better than Sam and Bucky.
[Reply]
Just Passin' By 06:50 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by Rausch:
The first 15 years they cared about nailing the essence of the characters. The main point of those characters.

Now they're ruining characters. Abandoning what made them who they were and ignoring what their motivations were.

She Hulk was always Hulk's public defender. No one else (note Rick Jones and Cho) would stand with him in the bad times. His friends would betray him. Jen was always there.

Now she's telling him how he can't relate and how it's hard for her to get cat calls. It's a completely different character. It would be like if Batman went to anger management classes and said that learning the psychology of your teammates was toxic behavior.
Pretty much every Disney property is just a way to pump out shit product, right now. Even Pixar hasn't been immune to it. But at least reading people reviewing the stuff is one way to know who's takes you can ignore on this stuff in the future.
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 07:12 PM 09-04-2022

You can say it is silly AF but the writers and actors believe they are fighting injustice via this show. It is not silly to them.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 07:41 PM 09-04-2022
Meh, it is She Hulk. Granted it has been 30 years since I read any of her books, but I'm not seeing what they are ruining here.

If y'all can't take the now standard men don't/ can't understand lines, not sure why you bother watching any of this stuff.

But it’s not about just this one show. Each show is going to get less and less rope and benefit of the doubt because of shows like Sam and Bucky, Ms Marvel, and others. The fans don’t want to dislike it.

Also whether fair or not, I think the fact that these are made by Disney who makes so many other properties, Star Wars specifically, that are turning people off, affects the perception of Marvel as well.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 10:33 PM 09-04-2022

There are a couple of things that don't get mentioned enough regarding 'woke narratives.' And I think they are important because they change the entire dynamic of the discussion.

As a prelude, my overall take is that it's entertainment, enjoy it or don't and ignore people telling you to enjoy things you don't as well as avoiding telling others not to enjoy things they do. It's YOUR leisure time.

But first, it's not so much outrage that certain narratives exist, or certain casting choices are made, in and of themselves, that's the problem. It's the purposeful effort by the creators. Again, it's your leisure time, and creators should be balancing expressing themselves creatively and filling your entertainment desires. But in the realm of 'woke' purposefulness, creators are pointedly and explicitly taking on the unbidden task of ecumenicalism, teaching, preaching, sermonizing, etc. . . . It's not the 'outrage' that these choices HAPPEN to pop up in stories, it's the insult that creatives think it's their duty to put those choices in their stories to message you the leisure consumer.

Second, and more directly responsive to your admonition about overseriousness, it's not so much how seriously you or I might take the storylines. It's how seriously others take it and fold it into their fundamental ethos. There are many things I've seen over the years that I took as a poignant but lighthearted or superficial points made in entertainment media, only to see people thereafter with a worldview that takes those points as fundamental and unquestionable.

It feels like a swindle of some sort when you see a message that you have a valid critique of, but you are dissuaded from voicing it, not because your criticism is invalid, but because you need to lighten up, . . . Then you find yourself debating people who take the message as literal gospel because they've never seen it critiqued.
[Reply]
listopencil 11:26 PM 09-04-2022
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
There are a couple of things that don't get mentioned enough regarding 'woke narratives.' And I think they are important because they change the entire dynamic of the discussion.

As a prelude, my overall take is that it's entertainment, enjoy it or don't and ignore people telling you to enjoy things you don't as well as avoiding telling others not to enjoy things they do. It's YOUR leisure time.

But first, it's not so much outrage that certain narratives exist, or certain casting choices are made, in and of themselves, that's the problem. It's the purposeful effort by the creators. Again, it's your leisure time, and creators should be balancing expressing themselves creatively and filling your entertainment desires. But in the realm of 'woke' purposefulness, creators are pointedly and explicitly taking on the unbidden task of ecumenicalism, teaching, preaching, sermonizing, etc. . . . It's not the 'outrage' that these choices HAPPEN to pop up in stories, it's the insult that creatives thing it's their duty to put those choices in their stories to message you the leisure consumer.

Second, and more directly responsive to your admonition about overseriousness, it's not so much how seriously you or I might take the storylines. It's how seriously others take it and fold it into their fundamental ethos. There are many things I've seen over the years that I took as a poignant but lighthearted or superficial points made in entertainment media, only to see people thereafter with a worldview that takes those points as fundamental and unquestionable.

It feels like a swindle of some sort when you see a message that you have a valid critique of, but you are dissuaded from voicing it, not because your criticism is invalid, but because you need to lighten up, . . . Then you find yourself debating people who take the message as literal gospel because they've never seen it critiqued.
Reminds me of the horrible kid's shows from when I was younger.

[Reply]
Page 12 of 19
« First < 289101112 13141516 > Last »
Up