ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Media Center>Wheel Of Time - Amazon
cookster50 06:36 PM 11-01-2021
Anyone else excited for this? November 19 begins season one.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:32 AM 12-24-2021
Originally Posted by cookster50:
I had to go look up a summary to remind myself how book one ended. It's clear the small number of episodes they have to work with is going to seriously dilute the content. I think Rafe deserves being kicked in the nuts for this show. There are glimpses of greatness but it's just not coming together well in my opinion. Too many things a non book reader would have no clue about as the show doesn't have the time to fully explain anything. For example, I laughed at Rand along Loial from explaining things worse than falling in the ways, but because the show have no indication of Loial's habit of rambling a non book reader would just ignore that. There are way too many things like that so far.
I want to agree, but all my non book reader friends are loving it, so I've resigned myself to the fact that it's just not really aiming to be true to the books.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:54 PM 12-24-2021
Fucking terrible.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 10:58 PM 12-24-2021
This abortion of a show doesn't even resemble the Wheel of Time. I think I'm done with it. Won't be watching season 2.
[Reply]
keg in kc 07:18 PM 12-29-2021
I expected to hate it and didn't. It's not on (early) Game of Thrones level, but that show had an insane cast and huge budget. And let's be honest Ice and Fire is a way better series of books, as good as wheel of time was.

Hopefully unlike Game of Thrones, wheel of time can get better over time.se

I mean I expected Legend of the Seeker Level of bad but it was closer to Netflix Witcher than to that I think.
[Reply]
BlackOp 07:59 PM 12-29-2021
Originally Posted by keg in kc:

I mean I expected Legend of the Seeker Level of bad but it was closer to Netflix Witcher than to that I think.
The Witcher has a cheesy charm to it...and WOT is cheesy without the charm.

Not a lot to hang your hat on...stiff, unrelatable characters.

It's a "If I have nothing better to do" watch for me...the season finale was supposed to be dramatic and wasnt.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:19 PM 12-29-2021
I expected to hate it and didn't. It's not on (early) Game of Thrones level, but that show had an insane cast and huge budget. And let's be honest Ice and Fire is a way better series of books, as good as wheel of time was.

Hopefully unlike Game of Thrones, wheel of time can get better over time.se

This show has nearly double the budget of the first season of GOT.

What we got is PATHETIC.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:42 PM 12-29-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
This show has nearly double the budget of the first season of GOT.

What we got is PATHETIC.
I think you're a little too close to it. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was reasonably entertaining. I'm friends with a number of non book readers who are really into it at this point.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:41 AM 12-30-2021
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I think you're a little too close to it. It wasn't groundbreaking, but it was reasonably entertaining. I'm friends with a number of non book readers who are really into it at this point.
It is trash. Even the non book readers are seeing all the holes and shit writing. The ratings everywhere are catering.

If you look at the top critics on RT, this thing is only at 54%, and they only allowed them to see the first 6 episodes. 7 & 8 were the weakest, and 8 was wretched.

The show us worse than the Shanarra series.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:06 AM 12-30-2021
Rafe stated himself half his writers hate the books and didn't read them.

If they wanted to do a show like the one they are putting out, they should have made something new. Not took an expansive series and completely changed it except for character names.
[Reply]
DaFace 09:33 AM 12-30-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
It is trash. Even the non book readers are seeing all the holes and shit writing. The ratings everywhere are catering.

If you look at the top critics on RT, this thing is only at 54%, and they only allowed them to see the first 6 episodes. 7 & 8 were the weakest, and 8 was wretched.

The show us worse than the Shanarra series.
There's a big difference between "entertaining, but mediocre" (which is what RT scores of ~50% imply) and "trash" (which is more like 0-20%). The lowest episode score on imdb is 6.2, which is the last one, and most episodes are in the 7-9 range. GoT had episodes up in the 10 range, but the last season had plenty in the 4-5 range as well.

If you hate it, that's fine. But you're really stretching here to justify your hatred. It's fine, and I'm entertained enough to keep watching next year, especially given how many constraints they had with COVID this season.
[Reply]
keg in kc 02:03 PM 01-02-2022
Why The Wheel of Time succeeds as an adaptation (and The Witcher fails)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winteri...her-fails/amp/
[Reply]
mnchiefsguy 03:38 PM 01-02-2022
I was disappointed in the last episode.

But you have to consider the fact that the last two episodes had to be re-written mid filming as the actor who plays Matt walked off the set and fell off the face of the earth....so they had to wing it. You could kind of tell the parts of the episodes that would have had Matt in them.

The cast has been good and the chemistry between them has been excellent. Other than Perrin's story arc, I am okay with most of the other changes.

I just finished book 4 so I have a ways to go bookwise. I will give season 2 a watch. If it continues to be as disappointing as the last episode was, it won't be worth going much further than that.
[Reply]
ntexascardfan 03:40 PM 01-02-2022
Originally Posted by cookster50:
I had to go look up a summary to remind myself how book one ended. It's clear the small number of episodes they have to work with is going to seriously dilute the content. I think Rafe deserves being kicked in the nuts for this show. There are glimpses of greatness but it's just not coming together well in my opinion. Too many things a non book reader would have no clue about as the show doesn't have the time to fully explain anything. For example, I laughed at Rand along Loial from explaining things worse than falling in the ways, but because the show have no indication of Loial's habit of rambling a non book reader would just ignore that. There are way too many things like that so far.
I'm a non-book reader and picked up on that characteristic from Loial pretty quickly. Not sure what you're talking about...we thought that line was funny when we heard it in the final episode.
[Reply]
hometeam 08:55 PM 01-03-2022
Why The Wheel of Time succeeds as an adaptation (and The Witcher fails)...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/winteri...her-fails/amp/
What show is this guy watching? They skipped major parts of the story, didnt explain half the shit, butchered parts, and made doubly sure to be woke instead of just making the best show.

The show is OK but The Witcher is far better, this is a bad article.
[Reply]
Fish 04:13 PM 01-04-2022
Never read the books. But this was pretty disappointing. Not terrible. But probably not something I'd watch another season of. Some serious head scratching with a lot of the plot.
[Reply]
Page 7 of 9
« First < 34567 89 >
Up