ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3860 of 3903
« First < 2860336037603810385038563857385838593860 38613862386338643870 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Chief Pagan 08:23 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I understand the logic in it. People are making the choice to risk getting COVID but don't bear the financial responsibility if that risk ends up costing the system money to treat them.

But on the other hand, that situation is hardly unprecedented. We don't charge people extra for any number of other health risks (smoking, seat belts, and motorcycle helmets immediately come to mind). I suppose there's a caveat that life insurance does in some cases, but I don't know of any health insurer who charges extra for risky decisions.

In general, I don't think it would go over well in the U.S.
Odd choice since seat belts are legally required. Motorcycle helmets too at least for some people in some states.

High risk activities such as rock climbing can have exclusions from some insurance policies.

Or at least used to. I'm not 100% sure how the changes related to Obamacare might have changed that.
[Reply]
DaFace 08:28 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
Odd choice since seat belts are legally required. Motorcycle helmets too at least for some people in some states.
Not sure how any of that changes the point. Your insurance won't deny your claim because you weren't wearing a seatbelt.
[Reply]
ghak99 11:52 PM 01-11-2022
Originally Posted by TimBone:
I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on this, although I doubt that it doesn't eventually become political discourse.
I'm sure some career geezer thinks it's a great idea, but that move steps well beyond the current covid vaccine issue and .gov can fuck right off with that bandaid on a bullet wound bullshit unless they want to open pandoras fat box.

We're all already paying for the consequences of the chain smoking fat cunt down the road shoving large pizzas and 48 ounces of corn syrup into her gunt on a daily basis. Not only that, but we're also going to be paying for her 200lb snickers addicted elementary student as well. I'm far from perfect and don't work out as often as I used to, but they're going to have to open that box and do some serious slashing before they'll get anything less than the middle finger from me about any of my potential health issues.

The vaccine/covid issue probably isn't even a drop in the bucket compared to the sugar/lazy issue. You could easily argue that the sugar/lazy issue is one of the biggest contributors to the covid issue.
[Reply]
Katipan 07:02 AM 01-12-2022
Paying Americans to lose weight would have cost less than COVID did
[Reply]
hometeam 07:16 AM 01-12-2022
I'm battling my second bout. Tested positive on the home test a few days ago, after my wife and kid. We had it bad in 2020, vaxxed mid summer last year and now have it again. This time around it's about 10% as bad as 2020 though, with similar but much milder symptoms
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 07:59 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by hometeam:
I'm battling my second bout. Tested positive on the home test a few days ago, after my wife and kid. We had it bad in 2020, vaxxed mid summer last year and now have it again. This time around it's about 10% as bad as 2020 though, with similar but much milder symptoms
Sorry to hear, hope it stays mild for you.

Curious to see if you get a PM from a certain someone calling you a liar about getting it twice...
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:24 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by Katipan:
Sadly a lot of people think being obese is a fine state of being and will fight you if you say otherwise.

Look at the praise this gal gets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...us-curves.html
[Reply]
Bearcat 08:41 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by Katipan:
At the same time, if Patrick Mahomes died of Covid, he'd be well into the overweight range of their metric and dangerously close to obese according to the metric they use to say how many people are overweight/obese who die from Covid.

He'd need to lose 30-80 pounds to be "healthy".

Obviously, unhealthy people tend to be unhealthy and Patrick Mahomes isn't dying from Covid, but the metric in itself is just as useless as the whole "came in with a gunshot wound, died of Covid" thing that goes around.

Originally Posted by :
Height: 6 feet, 3 inches

Weight: 230 pounds

Your BMI is 28.7, indicating your weight is in the Overweight category for adults of your height.

For your height, a healthy weight range would be from 148 to 199 pounds.

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:58 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
At the same time, if Patrick Mahomes died of Covid, he'd be well into the overweight range of their metric and dangerously close to obese according to the metric they use to say how many people are overweight/obese who die from Covid.

He'd need to lose 30-80 pounds to be "healthy".

Obviously, unhealthy people tend to be unhealthy and Patrick Mahomes isn't dying from Covid, but the metric in itself is just as useless as the whole "came in with a gunshot wound, died of Covid" thing that goes around.
For anyone that lifts weights, BMI is totally useless.

The vast majority of people who are obese by BMI do not lift weights.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:00 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:

You don't have to lift weights to have higher body mass related to muscle.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:00 AM 01-12-2022

Yeah, if I had a dime for every 40 sized waist dude whining about BMI.
[Reply]
Monticore 09:01 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
I understand the logic in it. People are making the choice to risk getting COVID but don't bear the financial responsibility if that risk ends up costing the system money to treat them.

But on the other hand, that situation is hardly unprecedented. We don't charge people extra for any number of other health risks (smoking, seat belts, and motorcycle helmets immediately come to mind). I suppose there's a caveat that life insurance does in some cases, but I don't know of any health insurer who charges extra for risky decisions.

In general, I don't think it would go over well in the U.S.
Smoking and drinking get taxed indirectly on the products themselves although black market/native cigs are easier to find these days, they have thought about taxing certain high sugar foods in the past. In a system like ours some people I am sure would support it, I just don't think It make sense.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:04 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
You don't have to lift weights to have higher body mass related to muscle.
Sure, a relatively small percentage of the population is naturally muscular or actually works physically for a living.
[Reply]
penguinz 09:12 AM 01-12-2022
Sure, a relatively small percentage of the population is naturally muscular or actually works physically for a living.
Not true at all. My 15:year old is not visibly muscular at all. Does not lift and he has a high BMI. He is just naturally 'dense'.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 09:21 AM 01-12-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Not true at all. My 15:year old is not visibly muscular at all. Does not lift and he has a high BMI. He is just naturally 'dense'.
Yes, and those kind of people are also a small percentage of the population.

Are you actually attempting to say that the large number of obese people you see every time you leave the house don't exist?
[Reply]
Page 3860 of 3903
« First < 2860336037603810385038563857385838593860 38613862386338643870 > Last »
Up