ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3858 of 3903
« First < 2858335837583808384838543855385638573858 38593860386138623868 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:27 PM 01-06-2022
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Not following. What do the 52% and 88% numbers he asked about mean if not effectiveness levels?
It's likely a model of the effectiveness of the vaccine vs symptomatic illness AND hospitalization, but it's not really useful data since you already have both values in the previous columns.

In biostats, the hazard ratio (HR, the middle column on the chart) is a probability of an event occurring. In this case, the control group would be the unvaccinated--their chances of hospitalization are 1. The vaccinations' effect on hospitalization is the variable. If they are more likely to be hospitalized, their hazard ratio would be >1. If they are less likely, their hazard ratio would be <1.

Example: Take a pool of 100 athletes that play pro sports and eat a vegan diet. What are the odds of an ACL tear? The event of interest is the ACL tear. If they are more likely to tear their ACL, the HR for the diet is >1. If they are less likely, the HR is <1.

However, all of these measurements have confidence intervals that state with 95% certainty where the probability lies. Example: (0.50-0.60). That means that the analysis shows that there is a 95% chance that the event will occur 0.5 times to 0.6 times as often, which is less likely. We want narrower confidence intervals, because it reduces uncertainty in our hazard ratios.

But, what if the CI crosses 1? That means that there is a 95% probability that it is either more or less likely to occur, which means that you can't state with certainty if the intervention is protective or harmful, and thus, your intervention does not produce a statistically significant result. In this case, because the CI of the hazard ratio crosses 1 for a single shot, we can't say whether or not a single shot has any efficacy.

*Caveat* I have not looked at the sample size here to see if his data is appropriately powered or even if the sample sizes are sufficiently large, don't contain any unnecessary biases, etc. From a cursory look, he needs to refine his explanations.
[Reply]
Hawker007 02:38 PM 01-06-2022
Ok, so I am an idiot when comparing my understanding of this with Hamas' understanding, but not an idiot for having a hard time following the chart. That makes me feel a little better.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:42 PM 01-06-2022
Went back and looked at his sources. Here's the info of interest:

A test negative case control design was used to estimate vaccine effectiveness (VE) against symptomatic COVID-19 with the Omicron variant compared to the Delta variant. Here vaccination rates in PCR positive cases are compared to vaccination rates in those who test negative. Individuals who reported symptoms and tested in pillar 2 community testing) between 27 November and 24 December 2021 were included in the analysis. Those who reported recent foreign travel were excluded due to differences in exposure risk and possible misclassification of vaccination status in this group.
Cases were defined as the Omicron variant or Delta variant based on whole genome
sequencing, genotyping, or S-gene target status on PCR testing. The Omicron variant has been associated with a negative S-gene target result on PCR testing with the Taqpath assay whereas with the Delta variant the S-gene target is almost always positive. Vaccine effectiveness was estimated by period after dose 2 and dose 3. Results are presented for 18+ year olds.

To estimate vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation the odds ratios (OR) for symptomatic disease were multiplied by the hazard ratios (HR) for hospitalisation among symptomatic cases: VEhospitalisation= 1-(ORsymptomatic disease x HRhospitalisation

https://assets.publishing.service.go...ity_update.pdf
[Reply]
eDave 10:13 PM 01-06-2022
Whatever thing thing is that I have, it has produced more snot than I thought capable. Jesus.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 05:13 PM 01-09-2022
A friend/teammate of our middle son just had his dad spend over a month in the hospital with pneumonia from covid. Insanely healthy guy.

None of their family had been vaccinated, but that's changed, fortunately.
[Reply]
Kman34 05:39 PM 01-09-2022
My wife tested positive Thursday.. I've had two negative tests.. She has had mild symptoms.. Both of us have been vaxed and boosted.. I feel like I may have already had it and was a-systematic.. Separate bedrooms.. Our pup thinks we have broken up..:-)

This ready messes up Sunday nite fun nite...
[Reply]
Fish 11:50 PM 01-09-2022

JUST IN: New #covid19 testing site at Kauffman Stadium starting Jan 10. Registration/ appointments required. @kmbc https://t.co/ikTSetfrN4

— Emily Holwick KMBC (@EmilyKMBC) January 9, 2022

[Reply]
Rain Man 11:51 PM 01-09-2022
Originally Posted by Kman34:
My wife tested positive Thursday.. I've had two negative tests.. She has had mild symptoms.. Both of us have been vaxed and boosted.. I feel like I may have already had it and was a-systematic.. Separate bedrooms.. Our pup thinks we have broken up..:-)

Who did the dog pick in the breakup?
[Reply]
Kman34 12:08 AM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
Who did the dog pick in the breakup?
My wife..:-)
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 12:12 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by Kman34:

Once a week? Must be nice.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:29 PM 01-10-2022
So this mother fucker is no joke. Was vaxed in March and May with Moderna. Wife spent over a week in the hospital with it in July. I only lost my sense of taste for a few months..no other symptoms. Today I feel like I get hit by a bus. My definition of moderate symptoms and the CDC don't exactly jive. Haven't felt up to get tested but I'd say it's highly likely Omnicron.
[Reply]
IA_Chiefs_fan 07:35 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
So this mother fucker is no joke. Was vaxed in March and May with Moderna. Wife spent over a week in the hospital with it in July. I only lost my sense of taste for a few months..no other symptoms. Today I feel like I get hit by a bus. My definition of moderate symptoms and the CDC don't exactly jive. Haven't felt up to get tested but I'd say it's highly likely Omnicron.
Hang in there.
[Reply]
TLO 07:36 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
So this mother ****er is no joke. Was vaxed in March and May with Moderna. Wife spent over a week in the hospital with it in July. I only lost my sense of taste for a few months..no other symptoms. Today I feel like I get hit by a bus. My definition of moderate symptoms and the CDC don't exactly jive. Haven't felt up to get tested but I'd say it's highly likely Omnicron.
Sorry to hear that. Wonder if it isn't the flu? Just speculation but you getting hammered by it after having 2 doses of Moderna and natural infection would be against the grain.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, regardless of what it is.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 07:41 PM 01-10-2022
Originally Posted by TLO:
Sorry to hear that. Wonder if it isn't the flu? Just speculation but you getting hammered by it after having 2 doses of Moderna and natural infection would be against the grain.

Hope you get to feeling better soon, regardless of what it is.
It's possible. CVS didn't have any home test today.
[Reply]
O.city 08:08 PM 01-10-2022
That sucks man. We’ve all recovered thankfully. My father in law has it we think he’s not tok bad though has had 3 vaccine shots last I talked to him he was congested
[Reply]
Page 3858 of 3903
« First < 2858335837583808384838543855385638573858 38593860386138623868 > Last »
Up