ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3819 of 3903
« First < 2819331937193769380938153816381738183819 382038213822382338293869 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
TLO 07:17 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
A study in Israel following 843,000 participants over 50 years old demonstrated a 90-percent reduction in mortality for booster recipients. It was published in NEJM today.
Just got done reading this and came to post it. Great news!
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:27 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Donger:
I read this over lunch. It's quite preliminary and has a small sample size, so please keep that in mind:

Studies suggest sharp drop in vaccine protection vs. omicron — yet cause for optimism

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...se-for-optimis

With the omicron variant continuing to spread in a number of countries, including the U.S., scientists have been anxiously awaiting data to answer this question: How well will the vaccines work against this new variant?

On Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, scientists in South Africa and Germany released preliminary results from two small studies that begin to provide answers.

The studies haven't been peer-reviewed. But together, their data strongly suggest the vaccines will be much less effective at stopping infections from the omicron variant but will still likely offer protection against severe disease. The study in Germany also indicates that a third shot, or a booster, will partially recover the effectiveness of the vaccines, at least for a few months.

In the South African study, researchers at the Africa Health Research Institute took blood from about a dozen people who had been vaccinated with two shots of the Pfizer vaccine and looked to see how well their antibodies kill the virus. In the experiment, everyone's antibodies were able to neutralize an earlier version of the virus quite well.

But against omicron, that ability dropped dramatically. On average, the antibodies were 40 times less potent against omicron than against the variant circulating in the summer of 2020.

And that's a lot. "It's astonishing ... in terms of the reduction," says Pei-Yong Shi, a virologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston who has been doing similar experiments to determine the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine against the coronavirus.

"We seem to see a drastic reduction in neutralizing activity, far more than with previous variants," virologist Florian Krammer, who's at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, wrote on Twitter. "Little activity was left in vaccinated individuals."

These findings confirm what scientists have been predicting since omicron was first detected several weeks ago. The virus contains many mutations already known to weaken the power of the antibodies made by the immune system.

Based on the results of this preliminary study, scientists say it's likely we'll see a lot more breakthrough infections with the omicron variant. And South Africa is reporting a lot of reinfections.

But the news isn't all dire. The vaccine isn't just about protecting against infections. It's also about protecting against severe disease and death. And there's reason to believe the vaccines will still do that, even with the omicron variant. Most of the people in the South African experiment did retain some ability to kill the virus. And scientists say even just a little bit of antibody activity can be enough to prevent someone from ending up in the hospital.

Also the immune system has other tools besides antibodies that can ward off severe disease. In particular, the T cells can clear out the virus after an infection. And scientists think those may hold up better against omicron than antibodies will.

On top of all that, the study from Germany shows that a third booster shot, with either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, increases the neutralizing ability of the antibodies to levels seen with the delta variant, at least for several weeks after the booster.

In that study, researchers at the Goethe University in Frankfurt looked at antibody potency against omicron and delta a half-month and three months after a third booster. In the short term, the antibody potency jumped up to the levels seen with delta in about half of the people. But after three months, most people's antibodies had declined to the level seen without the booster.

The vaccine manufacturer Pfizer also released a press statement Wednesday supporting these new findings.

"Preliminary neutralisation studies indicate that 2 doses of vaccines may not be sufficient to prevent *infection* w/ omicron (not severe disease), but regular boosters will help restore this decline to an extent," Dr. Muge Cevik, who's an infectious disease researcher at the University of St. Andrews, wrote on Twitter.
Hmmm Really????? I hate all this constant contradicting information.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...on-2021-12-08/

Dec 8 (Reuters) - BioNTech and Pfizer (PFE.N) said on Wednesday a three-shot course of their COVID-19 vaccine was able to neutralize the new Omicron variant in a laboratory test, an early signal that booster shots could be key to protection against infection from the newly identified variant.
[Reply]
TLO 07:28 PM 12-08-2021
Conversation with a coworker. Names have been changed to respect privacy

(2 months ago)

BLO: So, Betty, have you given any more thought to getting vaccinated? I know we talked before, and you were pretty against it. Just wanted to check in and see if your thoughts had changed at all?

Betty: Hell no! They aren't injecting me with that experimental junk. I'll die before I take the vaccine.

BLO: Ok. No problem, just wanted to check in.

(Fast-forward to 2 weeks ago)

*phone rings*

Betty: Hey BLO, it's Betty. I feel like death. I just tested positive for covid.

BLO: I'm so sorry to hear that. What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

Betty: I can't taste or smell. I'm coughing and can't catch my breath.

BLO: Did your doctor give you any type of treatment?

Betty: Well they're sending me out for this monoclonal antibody treatment. I don't know what that is, but I hope it works.

BLO: ............... I hope you feel better soon, Betty. Keep me updated.

Fin
[Reply]
BigBeauford 07:32 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Conversation with a coworker. Names have been changed to respect privacy

(2 months ago)

BLO: So, Betty, have you given any more thought to getting vaccinated? I know we talked before, and you were pretty against it. Just wanted to check in and see if your thoughts had changed at all?

Betty: Hell no! They aren't injecting me with that experimental junk. I'll die before I take the vaccine.

BLO: Ok. No problem, just wanted to check in.

(Fast-forward to 2 weeks ago)

*phone rings*

Betty: Hey BLO, it's Betty. I feel like death. I just tested positive for covid.

BLO: I'm so sorry to hear that. What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

Betty: I can't taste or smell. I'm coughing and can't catch my breath.

BLO: Did your doctor give you any type of treatment?

Betty: Well they're sending me out for this monoclonal antibody treatment. I don't know what that is, but I hope it works.

BLO: ............... I hope you feel better soon, Betty. Keep me updated.

Fin
Betty Croaker.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:13 PM 12-08-2021

Just published @NEJM
A striking 90% reduction in death for booster shots (vs not receiving the 3rd shot) among over 840,000 people, age 50 or olderhttps://t.co/W22vriA1Se pic.twitter.com/c2342ECuwV

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) December 8, 2021

[Reply]
TLO 08:37 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Now we see how long it holds up for.

Great data though.
[Reply]
TLO 08:38 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by BigBeauford:
Betty Croaker.
She's fine, thankfully. I'm just glad she wasn't scared off by the experimental antibody treatment.
[Reply]
Donger 09:40 PM 12-08-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Roundup:
Hmmm Really????? I hate all this constant contradicting information.

https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...on-2021-12-08/

Dec 8 (Reuters) - BioNTech and Pfizer (PFE.N) said on Wednesday a three-shot course of their COVID-19 vaccine was able to neutralize the new Omicron variant in a laboratory test, an early signal that booster shots could be key to protection against infection from the newly identified variant.
I don't think there's any contradiction between the Pfizer statement and the NPR article. The article is saying that the heterologous (two dose = prime and boost) efficacy against Omicron is much lower than against Delta, and that a second boost (third shot) is "needed" to pump up the efficacy against Omicron. The Pfizer statement seems to say the same:

"The first line of defence, with two doses of vaccination, might be compromised and three doses of vaccination are required to restore protection," BioNTech Chief Medical Officer Ozlem Tuereci said at a press conference.

and from the article:

In the South African study, researchers at the Africa Health Research Institute took blood from about a dozen people who had been vaccinated with two shots of the Pfizer vaccine and looked to see how well their antibodies kill the virus. In the experiment, everyone's antibodies were able to neutralize an earlier version of the virus quite well.

But against omicron, that ability dropped dramatically
. On average, the antibodies were 40 times less potent against omicron than against the variant circulating in the summer of 2020.

[Reply]
Frosty 10:00 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Update: He's not getting better, and it's likely he goes on a vent soon. So likely that the doc bent some rules and allowed myself and my sisters to visit this morning. Mom still has two days of quarantine before she can go.

I know this might be skirting - or flat blowing over the line - so if I'm in the wrong here, just delete the rest of this mods, but...

This all could have been avoided, but like so many others, he thought information from Facebook/The Internet carries more weight than from ****ing professionals.

I hope those of you who are vaxxed and reading this realize how important getting those shots were to you and your families.

And I hope those of you who aren't vaxxed (and can be safely) will reconsider. My stepdad realizes now that he made a huge mistake, and now it's too late.

Don't do this to your families. Get the goddamn shots. Please.

I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It's an odd mix of emotions, at least for me, when a family member goes through something like this due largely to poor decisions. I recently went through this with my wife's family, her brother (BIL) and his wife (SIL).

SIL's dad convinced his entire family (Dad, Mom, his mother (Grandma), BIL and SIL and their two kids, and SIL's sister and her daughter) to not get vaxxed because Facebook reasons.

At the end of August, SIL's teen-aged daughter goes to Florida during the height of Florida's Covid cases. A week after Daughter gets back, the entire unvaxxed family has dinner with my in-laws, who are vaxxed but in their 80s (I'm still pissed about that because my mother-in-law doesn't have a spleen so is immunocompromised). The next day, entire family, except my in-laws, are sick with Covid.

Over the next few weeks, various family members are in and out of the hospital. Dad refuses to go until his O2 drops so low that he has no choice. He dies two days later. Grandma is in for a couple of weeks, as is Mom, but both survive. Sister (who is only about 40) is on a vent for a couple of weeks and then gets sent to Portland to be on an ECMO. She's on that for about three weeks and ends up dying.

So now, everyone is devastated. Grandma is home but loopy as hell (maybe low O2 brought on some dementia?). Mom has to move in with Grandma for financial reasons and to watch Grandma. SIL and BIL's service based business is in trouble because they couldn't work for several weeks. BIL and SIL were already raising Sister's daughter because of Sister's issues, but there was nothing formal and now there may be some custody problems. Plus, they are saddled with some pretty big medical bills and SIL is constantly on Facebook begging for money through a GoFundMe. To top it all off, SIL is still anti-vax and appears to be heading down the Q rabbit hole.

You feel bad for them but, at the same time, it's like "Gee. If only there had been some way to possibly prevent all of this". :-)
[Reply]
DaFace 10:12 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Frosty:
I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It's an odd mix of emotions, at least for me, when a family member goes through something like this due largely to poor decisions. I recently went through this with my wife's family, her brother (BIL) and his wife (SIL).

SIL's dad convinced his entire family (Dad, Mom, his mother (Grandma), BIL and SIL and their two kids, and SIL's sister and her daughter) to not get vaxxed because Facebook reasons.

At the end of August, SIL's teen-aged daughter goes to Florida during the height of Florida's Covid cases. A week after Daughter gets back, the entire unvaxxed family has dinner with my in-laws, who are vaxxed but in their 80s (I'm still pissed about that because my mother-in-law doesn't have a spleen so is immunocompromised). The next day, entire family, except my in-laws, are sick with Covid.

Over the next few weeks, various family members are in and out of the hospital. Dad refuses to go until his O2 drops so low that he has no choice. He dies two days later. Grandma is in for a couple of weeks, as is Mom, but both survive. Sister (who is only about 40) is on a vent for a couple of weeks and then gets sent to Portland to be on an ECMO. She's on that for about three weeks and ends up dying.

So now, everyone is devastated. Grandma is home but loopy as hell (maybe low O2 brought on some dementia?). Mom has to move in with Grandma for financial reasons and to watch Grandma. SIL and BIL's service based business is in trouble because they couldn't work for several weeks. BIL and SIL were already raising Sister's daughter because of Sister's issues, but there was nothing formal and now there may be some custody problems. Plus, they are saddled with some pretty big medical bills and SIL is constantly on Facebook begging for money through a GoFundMe. To top it all off, SIL is still anti-vax and appears to be heading down the Q rabbit hole.

You feel bad for them but, at the same time, it's like "Gee. If only there had been some way to possibly prevent all of this". :-)
:-)
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 10:16 AM 12-09-2021

Damn, I'm so sorry man. I completely get it - same thing on my end, just lucky that he's the only one of the family that made a poor choice.

I completely get the range of emotions. I love him and am devastated that he's in this situation, while also furious with him for potentially making my mother a widow at 68 years old, all because he thinks fucking mouthbreathers on the internet are smarter than doctors.
[Reply]
DaFace 10:21 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by Rain Man:
I'm thinking it's a delta thing (and now omicron), but for the first year of this whole thing I didn't know anybody or even hear of anybody who got seriously ill. I saw the fatality numbers rising, but it was people outside my social sphere. Over the past six months, I've been hearing more and more about it hitting on a second-order basis, where friends of mine know people personally who were seriously ill. I think maybe alpha was really hitting the older vulnerable population hard and I don't know many people like that, whereas delta has been having an impact on a more broad age range.
It definitely seems that way. I remember people maybe a year or so ago who were still on the "hoax" bandwagon because they didn't know anyone who had been seriously ill from it, and now it seems like it's happening all around us.

This stuff pretty much always has a variety of explanations, but I'm sure you're on the right track:

1. The first wave primarily hit older folks who were less likely to be in frequent contact with those beyond their own families.
2. We were still being pretty cautious (masks, restaurants, sporting events, family gatherings, etc.) so it wasn't spreading that much among younger populations.
3. Delta is more contagious.

I still think we're basically at the point where those who have decided against the vaccine have made their choice, but it sucks to see immunocompromised folks like Nzoner's wife taking the brunt of it.
[Reply]
Frosty 10:45 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15:
Damn, I'm so sorry man. I completely get it - same thing on my end, just lucky that he's the only one of the family that made a poor choice.

I completely get the range of emotions. I love him and am devastated that he's in this situation, while also furious with him for potentially making my mother a widow at 68 years old, all because he thinks ****ing mouthbreathers on the internet are smarter than doctors.
People just don't seem to understand the chaos this can cause. From unexpected death, to huge hospital bills, to long term recovery in some cases when they do survive. Sure, a lot of people fly through it with no issues but you just have no way of knowing how it will hit you or someone you infect.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:00 AM 12-09-2021

I fucking hate people. Sorry for your wife. JFC
[Reply]
Frosty 11:20 AM 12-09-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
I ****ing hate people. Sorry for your wife. JFC
Thanks. I was particularly worried about her brother as he was in one of the danger zones - early 50s, overweight, under a lot of stress, poor diet, etc. Fortunately, he got through it, though he still isn't back to 100%.
[Reply]
Page 3819 of 3903
« First < 2819331937193769380938153816381738183819 382038213822382338293869 > Last »
Up