ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3799 of 3903
« First < 2799329936993749378937953796379737983799 3800380138023803380938493899 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
penguinz 03:03 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
If it spreads easier than it's pretty likely to end up dominant. Which isn't to say delta completely disappears.

I'm not out there reading every last story, but I haven't really seen anything that conclusive on whether it's really less deadly or not. Seems like that is probably still in the TBD category.
Usually as viruses mutate they become less deadly. The goal of a virus is to keep infecting new hosts so it can generate more viruses. If they spread too fast or kill too fast then they run out of hosts.
[Reply]
htismaqe 03:04 PM 11-30-2021
So I got my 2nd Moderna dose a couple of weeks ago.

Never did get sick like several people I know - no fever, chills, etc.

However, I had a massive bruise at the injection site and a couple of days after the shot, I had a huge red splotch extending from the site, down my bicep, and into the elbow. Looked like a rash but it didn't hurt or itch. Just looked like a big birthmark.
[Reply]
DaFace 03:13 PM 11-30-2021
If it spreads easier than it's pretty likely to end up dominant. Which isn't to say delta completely disappears.

I'm not out there reading every last story, but I haven't really seen anything that conclusive on whether it's really less deadly or not. Seems like that is probably still in the TBD category.
While you're right that Delta likely won't "completely disappear," if Omicron ends up being more transmissible, it definitely could take over for the most part. Here's a chart that lets you scroll over time to see the various variants, and Delta pretty much eliminated all others over the summer.

I almost feel like the best case would be for it to be far more transmissible but far less virulent. If we can get a mild disease to take over the world, we might finally truly start getting past this thing.
[Reply]
TLO 03:55 PM 11-30-2021
Translation anyone?

https://www.mako.co.il/news-lifestyl...fe17d71027.htm
[Reply]
NotDonger 04:10 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Translation anyone?

https://www.mako.co.il/news-lifestyl...fe17d71027.htm
Preliminary data on the new strain were revealed tonight in the "main edition" • The good news: the decrease in vaccine effectiveness is slight - and for booster recipients it is effective in both preventing serious illness and preventing infection • However, the risk of recovering in the variant is twice as high as in Delta • All details - and the worrying statistic about the risk of the unvaccinated becoming seriously ill

The data were collected in both South Africa and European countries where verifications were found in the new variant. It should be emphasized that these are preliminary data that the whole world is waiting for, and at this point they become the working assumption. According to these data, the effectiveness of the vaccine (for those who received three doses, ie also the booster), decreases only slightly: 90% protection, compared to 95% protection against the Delta strain. These are impressive and somewhat reassuring figures. The effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing serious illness, for those who have been vaccinated three times, is the same as the effectiveness against the Delta strain - the strain that has been the most dominant in Israel so far

Or just go here for an English version:

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wel...tuesday-687392
[Reply]
TLO 04:13 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by NotDonger:
Preliminary data on the new strain were revealed tonight in the "main edition" • The good news: the decrease in vaccine effectiveness is slight - and for booster recipients it is effective in both preventing serious illness and preventing infection • However, the risk of recovering in the variant is twice as high as in Delta • All details - and the worrying statistic about the risk of the unvaccinated becoming seriously ill

The data were collected in both South Africa and European countries where verifications were found in the new variant. It should be emphasized that these are preliminary data that the whole world is waiting for, and at this point they become the working assumption. According to these data, the effectiveness of the vaccine (for those who received three doses, ie also the booster), decreases only slightly: 90% protection, compared to 95% protection against the Delta strain. These are impressive and somewhat reassuring figures. The effectiveness of the vaccine in preventing serious illness, for those who have been vaccinated three times, is the same as the effectiveness against the Delta strain - the strain that has been the most dominant in Israel so far

Or just go here for an English version:

https://www.jpost.com/health-and-wel...tuesday-687392
Ah. Thanks!
[Reply]
NotDonger 04:15 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
Ah. Thanks!
בבקשה
[Reply]
Bugeater 05:51 PM 11-30-2021
Something is funny about that guy....
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 06:48 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Usually as viruses mutate they become less deadly. The goal of a virus is to keep infecting new hosts so it can generate more viruses. If they spread too fast or kill too fast then they run out of hosts.
Sure that is the general trend and there is reason for hope. But the death rate isn't so high nor is the death that quick, that a slight change up or down is going to dramatically change how easily it can spread.

So it's more like one of those roll of the dice things. Maybe you have a 70% of things going your way on any given roll, but maybe don't be too surprised when it doesn't.

I no longer remember the exact numbers, but the pathogen behind the black death took generations to become relatively harmless if I understand the story correctly.

And the early reports of the new virus causing mild sickness seems to based largely on a relatively young population in South Africa. Is that surprising?

But again, here's to it being a less serious variation.
[Reply]
jdubya 07:29 PM 11-30-2021
Got my 3rd Moderna jab, (second booster) just now. Felt nothing......had my first beer and feel nothing yet. Will keep y'all updated.
[Reply]
Bugeater 07:43 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by jdubya:
Got my 3rd Moderna jab, (second booster) just now. Felt nothing......had my first beer and feel nothing yet. Will keep y'all updated.
Heh...wait until tomorrow...
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 07:53 PM 11-30-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Hangover from the booster shot or the 6 PBRs he put down?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 05:48 AM 12-01-2021
Sure that is the general trend and there is reason for hope. But the death rate isn't so high nor is the death that quick, that a slight change up or down is going to dramatically change how easily it can spread.

So it's more like one of those roll of the dice things. Maybe you have a 70% of things going your way on any given roll, but maybe don't be too surprised when it doesn't.

I no longer remember the exact numbers, but the pathogen behind the black death took generations to become relatively harmless if I understand the story correctly.

And the early reports of the new virus causing mild sickness seems to based largely on a relatively young population in South Africa. Is that surprising?

Black Death wasn't a virus, it was bacteria.

Virology 101 is viruses don't want to kill their hosts and tend to get weaker.

This was to be expected. The 4 common circulating coronaviruses probably operated the same way with the last one believed to have arrived late 1800s and is now a common cold.
[Reply]
ChiefRocka 06:04 AM 12-01-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
For reals, it was the worst of the three for me.
[Reply]
penguinz 07:15 AM 12-01-2021

You are comparing a virus to bacteria. Not remotely the same thing.

Viruses get weaker as they mutate. That is how they survive.
[Reply]
Page 3799 of 3903
« First < 2799329936993749378937953796379737983799 3800380138023803380938493899 > Last »
Up