ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3765 of 3903
« First < 2765326536653715375537613762376337643765 3766376737683769377538153865 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
DaFace 01:36 PM 10-07-2021
While I'm still a bit skeptical about the NEED for this, I'm glad that it seems there's enough data to support the SAFETY of shots for 5-11 year olds. I know of at least some people who will feel much better if they can get their kids vaccinated.

BREAKING: Pfizer asked the U.S. government to allow use of its COVID-19 vaccine in children ages 5 to 11 -- and if regulators agree, shots could begin within a matter of weeks. https://t.co/RVVu3jTuIO

— The Associated Press (@AP) October 7, 2021

[Reply]
Chief Roundup 04:01 PM 10-07-2021
Condolences and prayers for Lumpy and her family.
[Reply]
stanleychief 07:06 PM 10-07-2021
I've been coughing a lot the past 4 days and didn't think much of it. Yesterday I officially had a 'fever' (100.4 on the nose). I've had and still have full sense of smell and taste. Out of an abundance of caution, I took a rapid Covid test at a drive up testing station. A few hours ago, I learned that my test came back positive.

Throughout the pandemic, I have been extremely careful. I got the J&J vaccine back in May. I rarely go out, and work from home. I live in Jackson County and follow mask guidelines whenever I do go out. I was pretty confident that I wouldn't get Covid, yet here I am.

From the beginning of the Covid pandemic until about two weeks ago, I personally only knew of 5 people that had contracted Covid (or at least admitted to it). In the past 2 weeks, 3 people that I know of have contracted Covid. One of them is in the hospital on a ventilator. What do we all have in common? We all took the J&J vaccine!

When I was getting tested, they asked if I had been vaccinated, and I replied, "yes". I then asked if she needed to know which one, or when I was vaccinated. She said "no", administered the test and left. Once I learned of the positive result, I contacted my doctor who did ask some more follow up questions, but also didn't care about which vaccine I took, or when it was administered. It seems like this would be important data to collect. Wouldn't you think?

Just Googling "is janssen covid-19 vaccine effective against delta variant" returns confusing results:

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Far Less Effective Against Delta Variant, Study Suggests

J&J: Vaccine Protection Against Delta Variant Is Strong

I think the most frustrating thing about the official response to Covid-19 is the changing and contradictory 'facts' that have been put out there. Do we need a booster if you had the J&J shot? Nothing out there conclusive.

I'm not looking for "vaccines are a lie" responses, or for anything, really. Just wanted to vent a bit (no pun hopefully intended) and to tell you all to be careful out there. And maybe, just maybe, think about getting a booster if you did get that J&J shot!
[Reply]
TLO 07:12 PM 10-07-2021
Originally Posted by stanleychief:
I've been coughing a lot the past 4 days and didn't think much of it. Yesterday I officially had a 'fever' (100.4 on the nose). I've had and still have full sense of smell and taste. Out of an abundance of caution, I took a rapid Covid test at a drive up testing station. A few hours ago, I learned that my test came back positive.

Throughout the pandemic, I have been extremely careful. I got the J&J vaccine back in May. I rarely go out, and work from home. I live in Jackson County and follow mask guidelines whenever I do go out. I was pretty confident that I wouldn't get Covid, yet here I am.

From the beginning of the Covid pandemic until about two weeks ago, I personally only knew of 5 people that had contracted Covid (or at least admitted to it). In the past 2 weeks, 3 people that I know of have contracted Covid. One of them is in the hospital on a ventilator. What do we all have in common? We all took the J&J vaccine!

When I was getting tested, they asked if I had been vaccinated, and I replied, "yes". I then asked if she needed to know which one, or when I was vaccinated. She said "no", administered the test and left. Once I learned of the positive result, I contacted my doctor who did ask some more follow up questions, but also didn't care about which vaccine I took, or when it was administered. It seems like this would be important data to collect. Wouldn't you think?

Just Googling "is janssen covid-19 vaccine effective against delta variant" returns confusing results:

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine Far Less Effective Against Delta Variant, Study Suggests

I think the most frustrating thing about the official response to Covid-19 is the changing and contradictory 'facts' that have been put out there. Do we need a booster if you had the J&J shot? Nothing out there conclusive.

I'm not looking for "vaccines are a lie" responses, or for anything, really. Just wanted to vent a bit (no pun hopefully intended) and to tell you all to be careful out there. And maybe, just maybe, think about getting a booster if you did get that J&J shot!
How are you feeling?
[Reply]
el borracho 07:18 PM 10-07-2021
Everyone is going to get it. The idea that people can hide from life just sounds so crazy to me.

Anyway, take comfort in the fact that covid is no big deal for the overwhelming majority of us. Feel better!
[Reply]
DaFace 07:32 PM 10-07-2021

I think it's highly likely they'll recommend a booster for J&J soon. Hope your case stays fairly routine.
[Reply]
Fish 01:14 AM 10-08-2021

It's a novel virus being treated with a new type of vaccine technology, that was created via emergency authorization because it was a global pandemic that has since killed over 4.5M people globally with the actual total being much more than that. Decisions made in the first few months of the pandemic were made on data that was barely weeks old. They were making decisions on the best info they had, which was basically nothing. They had to be cautious. What the experts know now is incomparable to what they knew 1yr ago or more when leaders were forced to make decisions.

Still, the results speak for themselves. We've now vaccinated over half the global population. Still no obvious dangers at all, with well proven effectiveness against hospitalization and death.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 04:53 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by el borracho:
Everyone is going to get it. The idea that people can hide from life just sounds so crazy to me.

Anyway, take comfort in the fact that covid is no big deal for the overwhelming majority of us. Feel better!
My whole family and much of my daughter's elementary school were all very sick with perhaps the worst cold I've ever had first week of March 2020.

I've wondered if it were possible that it was COVID, especially after information came out that Kansas had one of the first COVID deaths in the nation.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/...til-this-week/
[Reply]
stanleychief 05:36 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by TLO:
How are you feeling?
So far I've had lots of coughing- dry coughing. I've also got body aches and occasional chills. It's not that bad. Nothing worse than a flu so far. I feel fatigued, which is a listed symptom, but suspect that's due to the lack of sleep from waking up coughing during the night.
[Reply]
stanleychief 05:55 AM 10-08-2021
Everyone is going to get it.
I agree, as I feel like Covid has continued to mutate to become more resistant to vaccines. I did however, feel like getting a vaccine and following recommended procedures would have at least got me through the Delta variant 'wave' that's waning.

The idea that people can hide from life just sounds so crazy to me.
To be honest, I am pretty reclusive already, so I wouldn't say that I've hidden from my version of 'life'. I've been to family gatherings, go out to eat on the weekends and do things. For the most part though, I do not have exposure to other people during the week.

Yep, I'm healthy enough where I'm not too concerned. Thank you for the kind wishes, much appreciated!
[Reply]
stanleychief 06:18 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Fish:
It's a novel virus being treated with a new type of vaccine technology, that was created via emergency authorization because it was a global pandemic that has since killed over 4.5M people globally with the actual total being much more than that. Decisions made in the first few months of the pandemic were made on data that was barely weeks old. They were making decisions on the best info they had, which was basically nothing. They had to be cautious. What the experts know now is incomparable to what they knew 1yr ago or more when leaders were forced to make decisions.

Still, the results speak for themselves. We've now vaccinated over half the global population. Still no obvious dangers at all, with well proven effectiveness against hospitalization and death.
Totally understand all of that, and agree. There was insufficient data to guide a lot of decisions early on. I still think vaccines are useful. However, I do have a few minor counterpoints here:

1) The vaccine I am referring to is the Janssen vaccine (Johnson and Johnson), which is not using mRNA. It's more traditional than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

2) The two articles that I linked to in my original post were written on 7/8/2021 and 7/20/2021. Granted the Delta variant is newer, but I would hope for better consistency in the publication of attention grabbing headlines. Because sadly, that is about as far as most people read these days.

I think my biggest concern is the lack of interest in knowing which vaccine I had and when. It seems like that would be critical information to have in evaluating real-world effectiveness in a vaccine. Perhaps they feel they have enough data? I dunno.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:19 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Lumpy's husband has passed away. :-)
Oh, no. That's terrible. I didn't even know (haven't been on FB ). Prayers for her. :-)
[Reply]
Lzen 07:39 AM 10-08-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
My whole family and much of my daughter's elementary school were all very sick with perhaps the worst cold I've ever had first week of March 2020.

I've wondered if it were possible that it was COVID, especially after information came out that Kansas had one of the first COVID deaths in the nation.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/09/...til-this-week/
Wow! That's very interesting. I would love to know why the doctor amended her death certificate. He needs to speak with Peaches and tell her the truth. And then perhaps she can fill the rest of us in on that. I know a few people who got really sick that winter and they think they may have had COVID. This could confirm that it was here prior to March 2020.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:42 AM 10-08-2021
Totally understand all of that, and agree. There was insufficient data to guide a lot of decisions early on. I still think vaccines are useful. However, I do have a few minor counterpoints here:

1) The vaccine I am referring to is the Janssen vaccine (Johnson and Johnson), which is not using mRNA. It's more traditional than the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines.

2) The two articles that I linked to in my original post were written on 7/8/2021 and 7/20/2021. Granted the Delta variant is newer, but I would hope for better consistency in the publication of attention grabbing headlines. Because sadly, that is about as far as most people read these days.

I think my biggest concern is the lack of interest in knowing which vaccine I had and when. It seems like that would be critical information to have in evaluating real-world effectiveness in a vaccine. Perhaps they feel they have enough data? I dunno.
I am with you on this. I, too, got the J&J and have tried to find info on the web about how it does against Delta. And like you, I seem to just get conflicting information.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:45 AM 10-08-2021
Ok, here is the original reason I stopped into this thread today.
Originally Posted by :
Nevada brought back its mask mandate on July 27. Neighboring Arizona didn't.

Over two months later, we see the same trajectory in both (what a shock, right?), but with Nevada's numbers worse:

Originally Posted by :
Had these numbers been reversed, you know they would have been blamed on Arizona's relative lack of masks. But as usual, when the numbers come out like this, they're just ignored.
This kind of info is why I don't believe mask mandates are helpful at all. And there are countless examples just like this one.

https://mailchi.mp/tomwoods/boot?e=06bc172bc3
[Reply]
Page 3765 of 3903
« First < 2765326536653715375537613762376337643765 3766376737683769377538153865 > Last »
Up