ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3757 of 3903
« First < 2757325736573707374737533754375537563757 3758375937603761376738073857 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
dirk digler 07:05 AM 10-01-2021
Some great news. They stopped the trial early because the results were so overwhelming good. Applying for EUA today.

This could turn out to be one of the most important advances to counter Covid. Molnupiravir, a pill for 5 days (I'll nickname "M-pack") to markedly reduce hospitalization. Await details beyond press release, including safetyhttps://t.co/X1wR9K7vn0 by @matthewherper @statnews pic.twitter.com/hKBZC5Y71Z

— Eric Topol (@EricTopol) October 1, 2021

[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:19 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by MahomesMagic:
You didn't answer the question.

Why this new turn in immunology?

We have never vaccinated the recovered for any other disease before.
Why do you think it's new? Vaccines for all kinds of illnesses were pretty much given to everyone regardless of prior infection many times since vaccines became a thing. Measles, polio, smallpox, and on and on.

Millions of adults get the shingles vaccine despite prior infection.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:19 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yes they vaccinate for HPV which I am sure you know all about :-)

Oh and they say the HPV vaccine is much better than getting HPV.
I think you missed what I said.

The measles and smallpox vaccines are far superior to the Covid vaccines...yet they never vaccinated those who already had measles or smallpox.

This isn't a question of would you rather, it is about fundamental immunology.

The new $cience has to erase it.

And I ask you the same question as others. Name one other vaccine against viruses that was superior to natural immunity prior to this year.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 07:20 AM 10-01-2021

The measles and smallpox vaccines are far superior to the Covid vaccines...yet they never vaccinated those who already had measles or smallpox.

And I ask you the same question as others. Name one other vaccine against viruses that was superior to natural immunity prior to this year.
Yes they did.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:24 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider:
Why do you think it's new? Vaccines for all kinds of illnesses were pretty much given to everyone regardless of prior infection many times since vaccines became a thing. Measles, polio, smallpox, and on and on.

Millions of adults get the shingles vaccine despite prior infection.
Never for measles and smallpox.

Please provide a link.

Shingles I think it's about time. This is for old people whose immune systems have declined.

How do you catch shingles?
You do not "catch" shingles – it comes on when there's a reactivation of chickenpox virus that's already in your body.

After you've recovered from chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus lies dormant in your nerve cells and can reactivate at a later stage when your immune system is weakened.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccin...s-and-answers/

Hate to break it to you but I don't think I've aged 4 decades since when I got Covid in August...

:-)
[Reply]
Cheater5 07:28 AM 10-01-2021

Hate to break it to you but I don't think I've aged 4 decades since when I got Covid in August...

:-)

But did you die?
[Reply]
O.city 07:29 AM 10-01-2021
You do understand the difference in the Varicella virus which is a DNA viral infection and something like Covid or the Influenza virus?
[Reply]
O.city 07:29 AM 10-01-2021
That sucks you got Covid MM. Glad to hear you did ok with it, hope it wasn't too bad.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:29 AM 10-01-2021
In 2007, doctors at the University of Oregon conducted what may be the best study of antibody levels to common infections. They followed 45 subjects for as long as 26 years, measuring their antibody levels to eight common pathogens: measles, mumps, rubella, Epstein-Barr virus, varicella zoster virus (chickenpox), diphtheria, tetanus and vaccinia (the cowpox virus that eradicated smallpox).

The results were remarkable. Antibody half-life — the time required for antibody levels to decrease by 50 percent — was 50 years for varicella zoster virus and, they estimated, more than 200 years for measles and mumps. The half-lives of tetanus and diphtheria were much shorter, 11 years and 19 years, respectively. That’s why, for example, it’s recommended you get a booster tetanus (bacterial,not virus) shot every 10 years.

An important caveat about these data is that immunity from natural infection may last longer than immunity from vaccination. As an example, individuals born before 1957, who grew up in a time when measles was “as inevitable as death and taxes,” may have more durable protection against measles than those who were born later and got the measles vaccine, which became widely available starting in 1963.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/21/w...ccination.html

Dated 2018..surprised they haven't deleted or hidden this yet...
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:30 AM 10-01-2021

I did. The HPV vaccine is considered superior than getting actual HPV and if you had HPV they still tell you to get the vaccine because it is better.

Originally Posted by :
Of interest, a few vaccines induce a better immune response than natural infection:

Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine — The high purity of the specific protein in the vaccine leads to a better immune response than natural infection.

Tetanus vaccine — The toxin made by tetanus is so potent that the amount that causes disease is actually lower than the amount that induces a long-lasting immune response. This is why people with tetanus disease are still recommended to get the vaccine.

Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib) vaccine — Children less than 2 years old do not typically make a good response to the complex sugar coating (polysaccharide) on the surface of Hib that causes disease; however, the vaccine links this polysaccharide to a helper protein that creates a better immune response than would occur naturally. Therefore, children less than 2 years old who get Hib are still recommended to get the vaccine.

Pneumococcal vaccine — This vaccine works the same way as the Hib vaccine to create a better immune response than natural infection.

[Reply]
Katipan 07:31 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by :
Shingles can affect younger people, too, as a result of factors that can affect the immune system. Periods of high stress, depression and prolonged fatigue may weaken the immune system in otherwise healthy young adults and lead to shingles.
I have no doubt that you don't experience stress or fatigue.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:33 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
That sucks you got Covid MM. Glad to hear you did ok with it, hope it wasn't too bad.
It was worse than I expected (I normally am never that sick, last had something similar in my 20's when I had a bad week of flu).

The most annoying part were the headaches.

I didn't lose sense of taste or smell but I did get a weird thought feedback loop with smell.

Fever was gone in 2 days...I will give credit to the Bat Lady, give her the Noble Prize.
[Reply]
O.city 07:34 AM 10-01-2021
Varicella is very similar to the Herpes virus in that it lays dormant in your nerves (iirc). It's really interesting.

I get cold sores, have since I was little. If I get sun burned or am really stressed or get sick, I will always get them. They're HSV 1 then you've got 2 that is more...private parts related.
[Reply]
O.city 07:37 AM 10-01-2021
It was worse than I expected (I normally am never that sick, last had something similar in my 20's when I had a bad week of flu).

The most annoying part were the headaches.

I didn't lose sense of taste or smell but I did get a weird thought feedback loop with smell.

Fever was gone in 2 days...I will give credit to the Bat Lady, give her the Noble Prize.
Yeah, I've heard similar.

Have a dental colleague around our age who just recovered from it. Was hospitalized for a while. Thankfully he's getting better.

Crazy shit.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 07:42 AM 10-01-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, I've heard similar.

Have a dental colleague around our age who just recovered from it. Was hospitalized for a while. Thankfully he's getting better.

Crazy shit.
My gf had it and was really annoyed by the brain fog (she didn't get the headaches). She is younger but also women's immune systems are generally stronger .

4-5 days into it I considered getting Ivermectin but then things started to level out and my body got the upper hand.
[Reply]
Page 3757 of 3903
« First < 2757325736573707374737533754375537563757 3758375937603761376738073857 > Last »
Up