ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2809 of 3903
« First < 1809230927092759279928052806280728082809 281028112812281328192859290933093809 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
O.city 08:32 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
That’s not a good argument.

A few dozen people at a house party vs hundreds of random people and staff at a bar. Plus those going to multiple bars in a night. No comparison.
It definitely isn’t a reason to not shut down bars for sure I agree. They just aren’t pandemic proof
[Reply]
Fish 10:40 PM 08-09-2020
More confidence that outdoor sunshine is a great deterrent..

Susceptibility of SARS-CoV-2 to UV Irradiation

Highlights
• SARS-CoV-2 is highly susceptible to irradiation with ultraviolet light

• High viral loads of 5 *106 TCID50/ml SARS-CoV-2 can be inactivated in 9 minutes by UVC irradiation

• UVC irradiation represents a suitable disinfection method for SARS-CoV-2

Abstract
The coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 pandemic became a global health burden. We determined the susceptibility of SARS-CoV-2 to irradiation with ultraviolet light. The virus was highly susceptible to ultraviolet light. A viral stock with a high infectious titer of 5 × 106 TCID50/ml was completely inactivated by UVC irradiation after nine minutes of exposure. The UVC dose required for complete inactivation was 1048 mJ/cm2. UVA exposure demonstrated only a weak effect on virus inactivation over 15 minutes. Hence, inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 by UVC irradiation constitutes a reliable method for disinfection purposes in health care facilities and for preparing SARS-CoV-2 material for research purpose.

[...]

Discussion
In the present study, we demonstrated that SARS-CoV-2 could effectively be inactivated by UVC irradiation, even at high viral titers, whereas UVA-irradiation was much less effective. These data are in line with previous reports where other coronaviruses e.g. SARS-CoV-1 were shown to be susceptible to UVC irradiation 5, 6, 7. Viral stocks with titers of 1 × 106 TCID50/ml of SARS-CoV-1 could be almost completely inactivated after 6 minutes of UVC-irradiation, corresponding to a UVC dose of 1446 mJ/cm2 5. In our study, the emitted dose required for a complete inactivation of SARS-CoV-2 was 1048 mJ/cm2 after 9 minutes of exposure. A similar dose of 1 J/cm2 was also required to inactivate a viral load of 1 * 106 TCID50 H1N1 influenza virus 7. UV light disinfection is chemical free and thus a suitable method for applying in healthcare facilities to disinfect healthcare equipment 4. Most recently, a protocol for the disinfection of personal protective equipment (PPE) including filtering face pieces from health care workers described the potential use of ultraviolet light to inactivate SARS-CoV-2 6. Taken together, we demonstrated that UV irradiation is a highly effective method to inactivate the new corona virus SARS-CoV-2, even at the higher viral load levels that are found in research laboratories e.g. in cell-culture supernatants or in diagnostic material taken from the respiratory tract of COVID-19 patients.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:21 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Yeah let's just destroy it as a useful source of factual information. That would be awesome.
Gimme a break. You have to dig through dozens of DC-esque insults to find even a shred of potentially useful information and even then it’s back and forth with “my data is better than yours”.

This thread was destroyed several days ago. Don’t kid yourself.
[Reply]
Pants 11:43 PM 08-09-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Source?? :-) you mean you don't know? I will correct myself slightly as yesterday they listed an 18 year old. No wonder I keep your pedantic ass on iggy. Take you off for 2 secs and there you are with your same dumb shit. The article you referenced doesn't state any age and you thought you had something because of the word pediatric. It was a 20 year old that died that weekend.

https://www.coronavirus.kdheks.gov/1...D-19-in-Kansas
Why did they classify a 20 y.o. as pediatric? Just a bad job by the news media?
[Reply]
BWillie 12:00 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Shutting down bars and gyms while requiring masks were huge steps. More people started wearing masks in business when hospitals were nearing capacity. Could have avoided near capacity hospitals with a mask mandate from the start, while keeping businesses open following infection control guidelines though. Our governor ****ed us there and when hospitals neared capacity, businesses had to close because we acted too slow.
People just have a really difficult time understanding that this thing spreads very easily by close proximity to people and very little via fomite transmission. Places people are close to each other the most INSIDE are bars, restaurants and gyms (some of them). We way overreact to sanitizing ans cleaning surfaces but way underreact to social distancing.

It will be really be telling what happens in the fall and winter with kids going back to school. We'll be able to see if asymptomatic spread (children in school) will infect their older teachers and parents. My guess is they will.
[Reply]
arrowheadnation 12:11 AM 08-10-2020
I just saw that the HS in Georgia that made the news with week with the pic of a shoulder to shoulder hallway has shut down and gone to online learning after 9 people came down with Covid 19.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 12:28 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by BWillie:
People just have a really difficult time understanding that this thing spreads very easily by close proximity to people and very little via fomite transmission. Places people are close to each other the most INSIDE are bars, restaurants and gyms (some of them). We way overreact to sanitizing ans cleaning surfaces but way underreact to social distancing.

It will be really be telling what happens in the fall and winter with kids going back to school. We'll be able to see if asymptomatic spread (children in school) will infect their older teachers and parents. My guess is they will.
Just talking with a buddy of mine about this very thing tonight. Initially, I was all in on the sanitizing etc. but wasn't sure about the mask, when the exact opposite would have been the best course of action. It's amazing how effective masks and social distancing have been.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:30 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Gimme a break. You have to dig through dozens of DC-esque insults to find even a shred of potentially useful information and even then it’s back and forth with “my data is better than yours”.

Naw. If you want to skip the lion's share of DC-esque insults, it is pretty easy to know which posters should just be skipped or at least skimmed.

Even if this is no more than a toned down DC thread, those of us who rarely or never go over to DC, still appreciate it.
[Reply]
petegz28 06:23 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by Pants:
Why did they classify a 20 y.o. as pediatric? Just a bad job by the news media?
That I cannot tell you. I admit it's an odd deal. I don't think that's on the media. It was at KU Med or Shawnee Mission. I can't remember which one now.
[Reply]
O.city 07:15 AM 08-10-2020
They need to look at recycling air and turning it over in schools via HVAC and such, rather than shields and all that crap.

Put Hepa filters all over the place.
[Reply]
stumppy 07:20 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:

Send this thread to the fantasy land of CPDC? :-)

How bout NO!
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:25 AM 08-10-2020
So we have had approximately 338k kids test positive for Covid and just in the last two weeks around 100k. We could have predicted that?

I think we can stop with the notion kids can't get this or spread it to others. The upside is very few deaths but at least here in the US alot of kids are raised by their grandparents or older parents who they will pass this on to and they will get it and die.
[Reply]
petegz28 07:47 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
So we have had approximately 338k kids test positive for Covid and just in the last two weeks around 100k. We could have predicted that?

I think we can stop with the notion kids can't get this or spread it to others. The upside is very few deaths but at least here in the US alot of kids are raised by their grandparents or older parents who they will pass this on to and they will get it and die.
It's almost like the flu is more dangerous to children.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
[Reply]
RedRaider56 07:48 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
They need to look at recycling air and turning it over in schools via HVAC and such, rather than shields and all that crap.

Put Hepa filters all over the place.
Teachers unions are now demanding that either more filtering be done through the HVAC systems or all rooms have fans put in them to draw air out through open windows to reduce the amount of internal air recirculated in the room
[Reply]
O.city 07:50 AM 08-10-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:

It's likely that number has been consistent thru this whole thing and we're just now testing them as the amount of tests have risen to this level.
[Reply]
Page 2809 of 3903
« First < 1809230927092759279928052806280728082809 281028112812281328192859290933093809 > Last »
Up