ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Media Center>The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
F150 08:19 AM 01-13-2022

Eli Wallach, Sergio Leone, Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef
[Reply]
Frazod 12:18 PM 05-25-2023
It really is amazing how one bad actor can absolutely ruin a film. Sophia Coppola in Godfather Part III instantly comes to mind; just imagine how much better that movie would have been if Wynona Rider had been in it instead. You can excuse it a bit with Darby because at least she was still a kid.

After seeing the remake I tried to rewatch the original True Grit. But after seeing Stansfield absolutely nail her performance, watching Darby was like fingers on a chalkboard.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:31 PM 05-25-2023
Yeah, we've had our conversations 'bout westerns on here already and yes, Kim Darby is motherfucking awful and almost ruins that entire movie for me. Hailee Steinfeld is so much better (and I think she's gotten hot now? She's like a singer or something?)

On the subject of Eli Wallach specifically, though - I really do like the Magnificent 7. Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen are just great. Wallach is Wallach - he's brings a unique bit of charm to villain roles. He's almost always at least a little bit likeable.

Bronson and Coburn are solid but the guy who does an awfully nice job in that movie is Chico. I don't remember the guy's name but I think he's like German or something. I wonder if he just wasn't a little too over the top to have really broken out because I thought he did a good job in that movie but obviously never had the career the others did.

Maybe just a little to prone to chewing scenery.

In either event, Vin and Chris are an underrated cinematic duo. I mean maybe they're not quite Riggs and Murtaugh or Butch and Sundance, but they're damn good.
[Reply]
Graystoke 02:30 PM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by Frazod:
It really is amazing how one bad actor can absolutely ruin a film. Sophia Coppola in Godfather Part III instantly comes to mind; just imagine how much better that movie would have been if Wynona Rider had been in it instead. You can excuse it a bit with Darby because at least she was still a kid.

After seeing the remake I tried to rewatch the original True Grit. But after seeing Stansfield absolutely nail her performance, watching Darby was like fingers on a chalkboard.
Shit, the re-make of True Grit was so much better then the original. Don't get me wrong, I loved John Wayne in the 1st, but they just absolutely nailed it in that film.
I took my Dad to True Grit #2 because he took me to True Grit #1. We had so much fun. The whole audience was like us, sons taking their Dads to the film.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 03:43 PM 05-25-2023
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Yeah, we've had our conversations 'bout westerns on here already and yes, Kim Darby is motherfucking awful and almost ruins that entire movie for me. Hailee Steinfeld is so much better (and I think she's gotten hot now? She's like a singer or something?)

On the subject of Eli Wallach specifically, though - I really do like the Magnificent 7. Yul Brynner and Steve McQueen are just great. Wallach is Wallach - he's brings a unique bit of charm to villain roles. He's almost always at least a little bit likeable.

Bronson and Coburn are solid but the guy who does an awfully nice job in that movie is Chico. I don't remember the guy's name but I think he's like German or something. I wonder if he just wasn't a little too over the top to have really broken out because I thought he did a good job in that movie but obviously never had the career the others did.

Maybe just a little to prone to chewing scenery.

In either event, Vin and Chris are an underrated cinematic duo. I mean maybe they're not quite Riggs and Murtaugh or Butch and Sundance, but they're damn good.
Hailee grew into a complete smoke show.

[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:41 AM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
HPD was one of the first westerns I remember watching. Great movie.

I believe that Pale Rider was supposedly the sequel.
Well, it was Shane Meets High Plains Drifter
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:49 PM 05-26-2023
You guys remember "My Name is Nobody"?

Liked that one as well. Not a top-10 movie, probably not a top 50, but a pretty good one anyway.

[Reply]
KC Hawks 06:14 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Raiderhater:
Hailee grew into a complete smoke show.

Apparently she's dating Josh Allen.
[Reply]
Raiderhater 07:28 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by KC Hawks:
Apparently she's dating Josh Allen.
So she likes her men mentally weak.
[Reply]
Stryker 08:15 PM 05-26-2023
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
You guys remember "My Name is Nobody"?

Liked that one as well. Not a top-10 movie, probably not a top 50, but a pretty good one anyway.

Best of the best!

[Reply]
Stryker 08:26 PM 05-26-2023

[Reply]
Demonpenz 09:33 PM 05-26-2023
No mention of tombstone yet
[Reply]
Megatron96 11:38 AM 05-27-2023
Originally Posted by Demonpenz:
No mention of tombstone yet

Post #19.
[Reply]