ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Which team had the best draft?
Couch-Potato 01:41 PM 04-28-2024
Which team do you think had the best draft?


...Hate to say it but I like what MIA did this draft.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:17 AM 04-29-2024
When the consensus is THAT off on a guy like Franklin, I tend to just throw the consensus in the trash.

If someone's drafted 30-40 picks past where they were expected to go, that's a bit of a slide and maybe some team was in the right place at the right time to get a really nice value play.

But if someone goes 2+ full rounds after where they were expected to go? That's just a misunderstanding of the consensus. That means the guy isn't a 'steal' but rather just someone who has flaws we didn't see, know about or understand.

Makes me a little nervous about the Hicks pick as well. I mean Franklin going to 102 doesn't mean the Broncos "Got a first round talent!" (pours another out for Justyn Ross) - it means they might have gotten a 3rd round talent that we just didn't have graded right, IMO.

It's awfully rare that those massive slides (lets say 60ish picks) turn out to be anything resembling what the pre-draft consensus on them claimed they were.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:21 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I dunno, I thought Denver had the best draft of our division rivals. I like Nix though so that makes a difference. I think he was the 2nd best QB prospect in this draft and I feel like he's the most pro-ready. He also fits Payton's offense to a T.

Franklin in the 4th and Abrams-Draine in the 5th were highway robberies. Ellis looks good as a 3-4 OLB. Estime is a ****ing hammer that they needed. Gargiulo was criminally underrated as well IMO. I dunno, I thought they did great.
If Nix is a franchise QB they did great.

I don't see it but Payton got his guy.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:25 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
A lot of these teams with great starts still have head-scratchers in there.

The Eagles draft just really meandered after their two great picks to start things off.

The Bears took a 4th round punter in a year they lacked 3rd day capital and a guy in Booker that I just don't see sticking.

I think the Cardinals should've taken a bigger swing at pick 27 and it felt early for both Adams and Reiman (their Illinois picks) - didn't feel like either guy was a 3rd rounder. I like Reiman but in the 3rd round when Wiley goes late 4? That's just a miss, IMO.

The Bills banked some nice additional capital but their whole draft looks based on floor to me.

In Baltimore I don't get the Rosengarten thing at all but evidently I was alone there. Getting Isaac and Tampa where they did is awfully slick though they wasted on a pick on a clear bust and probable violent criminal in Devontez Walker. That guy's obviously a no-talent ass clown.

I do like Miami's draft quite a bit (but why y'all gotta steal Wright from us? Dicks - you have Achane)

If Maye is even an above average QB then I think NE might have a nice argument as the best draft in the league. It's REALLY good, IMO.

Bengals were annoyingly steady with their picks. Just the kind of stuff that you'd expect to see from a competent front office. That makes me sad. But you guys put Jermaine Burton into a volatile lockerroom so...have fun with that.

Steelers killed in as Steelers a way possible. Probably my favorite team/player draft.

So to answer the question - the Steelers had the best non-Chiefs draft, IMO. If I include the Chiefs as well...damn guys, they have a REALLY good argument.

It's them and Pitt at the top of the heap, IMO.
I completely forgot about the Pats, but you're right, getting Maye and Polk/Baker was really nice. They might finally not have the NFL's worst combination of QB and skill players.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:26 AM 04-29-2024
Chargers got better but assuming Alt goes to RT it sort of feels...a bit of a waste. Still a very good draft. Eagles' was excellent imo, but I think that most years.
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 11:27 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
I completely forgot about the Pats, but you're right, getting Maye and Polk/Baker was really nice. They might finally not have the NFL's worst combination of QB and skill players.
Their drafting looks better post-BB but I am not going to get excited until they get new coaching on offense.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:33 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by Jerm:
Cincy's draft feels very boom or bust to me...like if Mims and Burton hit, yeah it's great but if not....yeesh.
It's easy to not realize this when you're a big fan of Mims and Burton, but it's definitely true. That's a very boom or bust draft.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:33 AM 04-29-2024
It's hard to separate what people got from where they picked. I'd put the Chiefs right up there based on the latter.
[Reply]
JPH83 11:37 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When the consensus is THAT off on a guy like Franklin, I tend to just throw the consensus in the trash.

If someone's drafted 30-40 picks past where they were expected to go, that's a bit of a slide and maybe some team was in the right place at the right time to get a really nice value play.

But if someone goes 2+ full rounds after where they were expected to go? That's just a misunderstanding of the consensus. That means the guy isn't a 'steal' but rather just someone who has flaws we didn't see, know about or understand.

Makes me a little nervous about the Hicks pick as well. I mean Franklin going to 102 doesn't mean the Broncos "Got a first round talent!" (pours another out for Justyn Ross) - it means they might have gotten a 3rd round talent that we just didn't have graded right, IMO.

It's awfully rare that those massive slides (lets say 60ish picks) turn out to be anything resembling what the pre-draft consensus on them claimed they were.
Maybe, some if it's probably just how teams utilise players and what they need. Could be right on Franklin, but on Hicks it's probably partly just...he's a box safety. Fewer teams are probably prioritising that type of player...but for the Chiefs it works.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:42 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by JPH83:
Maybe, some if it's probably just how teams utilise players and what they need. Could be right on Franklin, but on Hicks it's probably partly just...he's a box safety. Fewer teams are probably prioritising that type of player...but for the Chiefs it works.
Yea, with Hicks it's a matter of skill set and how teams value and utilize it. I also think he's more of that type DJ is referring to that goes 30 picks later than they should as opposed to a full 2 rounds. Box safeties like him normally don't go in the 2nd.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:49 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
I don't get Rosengarten, either. He was a problem against Texas for Washington. Maybe they see him at G or something.
Rosengarten may have the worst play strength of any of the OT's he's a weird fit in Baltimore.

I think Tennessee's draft is really shitty. They drafted like it's 1984, we're just gonna be really big physical and slow.
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:50 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
People say a lot of bad about Buffalo trading out and handing us Worthy but they had a really good draft in my opinion.

I thought Tampa had a nice draft.

Steelers had a solid one.

I liked what Cleveland did with limited picks.

Overall though, I have to say I can't put one above ours. Veach was masterful.
Start a thread and break the Chiefs draft down from your point of view, crow.
[Reply]
RunKC 11:55 AM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Rosengarten may have the worst play strength of any of the OT's he's a weird fit in Baltimore.

I think Tennessee's draft is really shitty. They drafted like it's 1984, we're just gonna be really big physical and slow.
Well they did bring in Calvin Ridley and Tony Pollard in FA to go with Hopkins so it made sense to build the lines.

Lot of folks don’t like it but Andy has drafted a lineman in the first 2 rds in 19 of his last 22 drafts. After QB and coaching, the trenches are the biggest element that decides games.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:00 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Well they did bring in Calvin Ridley and Tony Pollard in FA to go with Hopkins so it made sense to build the lines.

Lot of folks donít like it but Andy has drafted a lineman in the first 2 rds in 19 of his last 22 drafts. After QB and coaching, the trenches are the biggest element that decides games.
They took JC Latham and TVondre Sweat....and followed that by taking a rather unathletic LB.

A team like that just screams desperately trying to be 500 as good teams run us off the field.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:40 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
When the consensus is THAT off on a guy like Franklin, I tend to just throw the consensus in the trash.

If someone's drafted 30-40 picks past where they were expected to go, that's a bit of a slide and maybe some team was in the right place at the right time to get a really nice value play.

But if someone goes 2+ full rounds after where they were expected to go? That's just a misunderstanding of the consensus. That means the guy isn't a 'steal' but rather just someone who has flaws we didn't see, know about or understand.

Makes me a little nervous about the Hicks pick as well. I mean Franklin going to 102 doesn't mean the Broncos "Got a first round talent!" (pours another out for Justyn Ross) - it means they might have gotten a 3rd round talent that we just didn't have graded right, IMO.

It's awfully rare that those massive slides (lets say 60ish picks) turn out to be anything resembling what the pre-draft consensus on them claimed they were.
Jusytn Ross is out here catching strays.
[Reply]
Dunerdr 12:43 PM 04-29-2024
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Yea, with Hicks it's a matter of skill set and how teams value and utilize it. I also think he's more of that type DJ is referring to that goes 30 picks later than they should as opposed to a full 2 rounds. Box safeties like him normally don't go in the 2nd.
Matt Derrick said on 41 is the Mike that some teams were out on Hicks because he's still growing and may physically outgrow being a safety. But the Chiefs are fine with it and even a few pounds heavier have a role for him.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 4
< 12 34 >
Up