View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 27 of 343
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:08 PM 05-31-2022
The difference between OBJ and Lamar Jackson is OBJ is realizing maybe getting an actual agent might benefit his life and Lamar is doubling down
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 12:08 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I don't feel strongly about this situation either way.

On one hand, he is a decent LT, which is a premium position, and we burned a 1st trading for him. For those reasons, I can understand giving him a max contract.

On a positive note, the cap is going up. We could likely sign him to a deal similar to what's posted in the OP and in three or four years it'd look like a decent deal.

The only other feasible option I can see is a tag and trade, but then that puts us back to square one. Perhaps the front office is feeling hot after hitting a homerun and a triple with Humphrey and Trey Smith last year.
And I burned a hundred dollar bill at a grocery store buying a bottle of ketchup.

True story.
[Reply]
O.city 12:19 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
I think they'll finish 10-7 and will be picking lower than they have in years.
That puts them what, early 20's ish? Again, I don't think that's near where you're getting a LT that can come in and be what OBJ is for a year or so.

So you're gonna step back at LT a bit. Financially it would allow you to go spend elsewhere, but I'm not sure where that would/should go
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:22 PM 05-31-2022
If you want a surefire left tackle you have to trade up to like top 10 unless he has a horrific injury that our medical team clears and nobody else does.

Just pay OBJ, he's completely acceptable.
[Reply]
O.city 12:24 PM 05-31-2022
Sure, he's acceptable. I think the argument is paying a premium for acceptable.

The hope would be that he continues to improve at LT as he did this year.
[Reply]
TEX 12:24 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by -King-:
I had hopes for CEH last season also. I even said he'd be the breakout player.

But staylor just sees what he wants to see.
That's where you differ from me. I'm guilty as charged for never having liked the CEH pick. I liked Taylor. Cant believe Veach didn't also. Oh well, he'll get way more right than I will, but not the CEH pick.
[Reply]
staylor26 12:24 PM 05-31-2022
Love how people talk about the trade too.

“Already burned a 1st on him”

That framing is hilariously dumb.

Like turning the 31st pick and a 3rd into a top 10 LT in their prime and Nick Bolton wasn’t a grand fucking slam.
[Reply]
TEX 12:26 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
Sure, he's acceptable. I think the argument is paying a premium for acceptable.

The hope would be that he continues to improve at LT as he did this year.
Well, that's true in that he did improve. So there's that.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 12:31 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Love how people talk about the trade too.

“Already burned a 1st on him”

That framing is hilariously dumb.

Like turning the 31st pick and a 3rd into a top 10 LT in their prime and Nick Bolton wasn’t a grand fucking slam.
That's just you being a sensitive pussy.

We used a 1st on him. We spent a 1st on him. We burned a 1st on him.. It's all the same shit when you're a grown man and not an over emotional bitch boy.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:33 PM 05-31-2022
We don't have time to waste. He's here. He's good. He may get better. Lock it up and the deal will look smaller in the future.

Of course he's going to try and get the most money he can but I don't think anyone else out there is going to pay him top dollar either. Just structure the contract in a logical fashion. You can waste a decade trying to find a good left tackle.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:33 PM 05-31-2022
Still think he will likely have a very similar career to Jason Peters.

Peters best years were really 26-34 with his apex being 28-32 (with Andy, no less).

A 6 year deal takes him through his age 31 season. I'm fine with making that happen.
[Reply]
O.city 12:34 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by TEX:
Well, that's true in that he did improve. So there's that.
He's 26 and it was his first season in a pass first offense. I'd say his improvement was about what you'd hope it would be.
[Reply]
O.city 12:36 PM 05-31-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Still think he will likely have a very similar career to Jason Peters.

Peters best years were really 26-34 with his apex being 28-32 (with Andy, no less).

A 6 year deal takes him through his age 31 season. I'm fine with making that happen.
My thing is just the thought of having to find another LT at least at his level. I dont' think that happens without expanding serious draft resources.

Or just pay OBJ and be done with the LT spot for a while.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:42 PM 05-31-2022
He's 26 and it was his first season in a pass first offense. I'd say his improvement was about what you'd hope it would be.
Yeah - anyone that expected anything more than he did last year wasn't paying attention when people were trying to explain how much easier Lamar Jackson makes pass blocking. Especially for a power set guy like Brown.

Teams just can't blast upfield against Jackson because he'll run underneath them. So you don't have to get into a vertical set as his LT because few guys are going to try to go over top of you.

Baltimore and KC couldn't be any different in terms of how you have to pass protect and OBJ saw development in that area all season long. What the hell else did anyone expect?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 12:49 PM 05-31-2022
My thing is just the thought of having to find another LT at least at his level. I dont' think that happens without expanding serious draft resources.

Or just pay OBJ and be done with the LT spot for a while.
Can't play scared.

I mean if you have the requisite confidence in your scouting department, LT isn't QB. It's not impossible to find good LTs out there. Taylor Decker, Donavon Smith, Ryan Ramczyk, etc...

It's not easy - but it's not impossible. And if it costs you draft capital, well that's what draft capital is for.

Ultimately I'm just saying you can't get yourself bent over a barrel out of fear here. We didn't give up a Laramy Tunsil haul where we'd be gutting our future for a single season of OBJ if we let him walk. We gave up a fair amount for 2 years of above average LT play at below average market rates. Tag him and let him walk for a comp pick and the trade is a wash.

That's why I don't think the best justification for him is to talk about how hard the position is to deal with. Rather it's just to say that he's a good young player who ascended last year and who's prime years are still in front of him. You sign him because you WANT him here for 6 more years and not because you NEED him here for 6 more years.

If you can't be sure of the former, you're not so pot-committed that you can't let him walk. And ultimately if the front office didn't believe that he can continue to improve going forward, they probably should.
[Reply]
Page 27 of 343
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Up