ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Underground Propane Tank
blake5676 12:36 PM 08-16-2019
So....the Mrs. and I are getting ready to build a house. It's on an estate lot kind of off the beaten path and has no natural gas to tap into. Looking into the cost of propane tanks and pros/cons.

I can't see myself going all electric. Don't think I'd mind when it comes to HVAC stuff but I can't go back to a non-gas range and the fireplaces I've seen that are electric look terribly fake.

Anybody on here buried a propane tank before when building? Trying to get some feedback on what to look for, best size, costs, etc. From my little research, it appears filling the thing in the offseason is the way to go as propane is much cheaper in the spring/summer. I'm thinking I'll get a 500G tank and would like to run a line for an outdoor gas grill as well. Someone school me on whether I'll notice much of a difference between having natural gas or propane running to the house.
[Reply]
blake5676 08:53 PM 08-16-2019
Originally Posted by IUsedToBeATightEnd:
As far as efficiency and heating capacity, "propane" is often used as a general term.
LPG is usually a mix of different types of LP Gases including (but not limited to) Butane and Propane.
Mixes (should be referred to as "LPG mix") is less efficient than pure propane and it is what they generally use to fill underground tanks, especially the leased ones, because you can't buy from any other supplier. It's less expensive than pure propane but if the tank is rented you will probably pay LPG as much or more than pure propane.

Small tanks usually contain pure propane, so they have much better heating capacity.
The time required to boil some water when using pure propane is signifcantly less than LPG. This is even more evident if you use propane or LPG for silver soldering or brazing. LPG takes forever.
This is something to consider when evaluating the price of the gas you buy, although its hard to know if the gas company can be trusted about what they claim to deliver - let alone if the guy who delivers it even knows the difference.
If you have neighbors who have been using LPG's for a while you may want to ask them if they noticed any difference, if they ever bought from different suppliers, because the difference is evident.

Any LPG, even mix, has much better heating capacity than natural gas but it is more expensive and LPG's (especially mixes) tend to blacken your pans after a few months, while natural gas burns cleaner.

Hope this answers some of your questions.
Exactly the kind of response I was looking for...appreciate it!
[Reply]
tyecopeland 09:10 PM 08-16-2019
I have a buried propabe tank at the house I bought from my brother. He had it put in. Its 500 gallons, runs a heat stove that's used as a secondary source of heat in winter, the cook stove and the dryer. I fill it about once every 18-24 months.

Also, although I haven't had a problem, I would second the recommendation to not bury it and instead dig out and build some kind of underground enclosure for it to be hidden in instead of buried itself. It could have been easily done at my property and still have been completely hidden.
[Reply]
tx4chiefs 09:25 PM 08-16-2019
On the plus side you can get an adapter to fill small propane tanks for your grill.
[Reply]
RetiredSeniorChief 10:18 AM 08-17-2019
Make sure you have good cathodic protection or you'll be replacing that tank in a few years.

https://www.propane101.com/undergroundpropanetanks.htm
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:27 AM 08-17-2019
Originally Posted by RetiredSeniorChief:
Make sure you have good cathodic protection or you'll be replacing that tank in a few years.

https://www.propane101.com/undergroundpropanetanks.htm
Hey you Q'd my link!
[Reply]
srvy 11:57 AM 08-17-2019
There is really not a lot to worry about buried vs above ground propane tanks. Really only difference is cost to install or maintenance to repair a leaky valve. A underground tank is not the same as a topside tank. Obviously corrosion and cathodic protection a premium on subsurface tanks. Homeowners of above ground tanks will use proper paint to cover a ding or scratch before rust sets in. The coatings on underground tanks are the same as buried transport pipes buried all throughout the USA. Your fine with underground 30 to 40 years probably longer. Anymore info contact Hank Hill!
[Reply]
srvy 12:05 PM 08-17-2019
Oh forgot propane tanks in Missouri 1000 Lbs or larger require a site plan instead of just a permit. I suspect that pretty much the norm all over the country. So another added expense.
[Reply]
Rasputin 06:51 PM 08-17-2019
Hank Hill approves this thread & would read again.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up