View Poll Results: Pay Orlando Brown Jr a 6 yr $145 mil contract
Yes 55 47.41%
No 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll
Page 115 of 343
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Orlando Brown Projected Contract 6 year $145 mil
dlphg9 08:17 PM 03-28-2022
So there's an article on NFL network saying that Orlando Brown is expected to sign for 6 years $145 mil.

That comes to $24.16 mil/yr and makes him the highest paid offensive lineman in football. It also would give him the 19th highest salary per year in the NFL

How would you feel if that is the contract he ended up signing?

I'm fine with it. He is a top 5 LT and he's only 26 next season. A young great LT is a guy you can't let leave.
[Reply]
wazu 02:31 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If he signs the tender, he's not skipping camp. And if he's willing to play on the tag it's a clear 'bet on himself' situation so he'd be a complete moron to skip camp.

I bet he signs and is there on day 1. And honestly, we had the cap space to handle his contract this year. The $ on it is relatively low anyway. If he proves he's worth that kind of money and guarantees next year, the deal still only starts when he's 27 and that's nothing for an OT.

There's nothing hurt here. It's not like he's gonna get 30 in AAV if he performs like a 1st team All Pro next season. Only generational guys ever blow a scale apart like that and he's just not that kind of talent.

The Chiefs don't appear to have lost out on a potential discount rate over the life of a LTC here so they never had much incentive to go beyond where they wanted to be.

They good.
Reports when this story first broke were that he would skip camp without a deal. Assumption is he'd show up in time for the season so he gets paid, though.
[Reply]
tredadda 02:35 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by wazu:
Reports when this story first broke were that he would skip camp without a deal. Assumption is he'd show up in time for the season so he gets paid, though.
Bold strategy. Wonder how that will benefit him next offseason outside of limiting his injury risk.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:35 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by wazu:
I don't doubt his agent was telling the team exactly that. What other leverage would they have?

But now the ability to get a LTC is gone. The Chiefs can't give him one even if they want to. What's skipping camp going to do for him other than put him behind in the most important season of his career?

There's literally zero upshot in skipping camp at this point.

He'll be there.
[Reply]
poolboy 02:37 PM 07-15-2022
Hopefully he doesnt start making "business decisions" on the field
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:38 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by tredadda:
Bold strategy. Wonder how that will benefit him next offseason outside of limiting his injury risk.
It won't.

The only person it might benefit is his neophyte agent. If he's gonna tell teams his clients are going to skip camp and then they DON'T, then he's going to lose credibility in future negotiations should he manage to build an NFL client roster.

But I suspect that's why it's just 'reports' and note 'quotes' here. He leaked it so if/when his client shows up to camp, he can say "I never said that..." and dodge any blowback long-term.

At this point Brown effectively gains nothing by skipping camp.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:42 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by poolboy:
Hopefully he doesnt start making "business decisions" on the field
Virtually impossible for an OL.

On the line (OL or DL), you're either the hammer or the nail. The fastest way to ensure injury is to go out there and try to avoid one.

Play with 100% effort because the rep at 80% is the one where you'll get hurt.

WRs and DBs can make business decisions. LBs can, but it's more difficult. TEs are in a similar boat.

Linemen and RBs, OTOH, get hurt the instant they go out there and try to avoid an injury. Those positions just do not allow for business decisions other than maybe nursing soft tissue injuries. But if Brown isn't playing at all out there because of some trumped up hammy pull, he'll get the 'injury prone' label and that won't help his earning potential either.

OBJ can play himself into a massive deal that starts at 27 yrs old. He's already a year ahead of 1st rounders by virtue of not having a 5th year option. By far and away the best thing he can do is be in the best shape of his life, take camp seriously, and go out there and kick ass.

Anybody that's telling him otherwise is a fool.
[Reply]
kccrow 02:50 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
If I'm Brown, I probably don't sign that contract either.
I think you would. His position shouldn't have been seen as overly good. He's a mid-tier tackle asking for top-tier money. That said, the offer was damned close to where I thought Veach should value him. 19 per over 5 with 30.5 in your pocket day one and a solidly over 40 in the first 2 seasons? That's good money for him. Even if KC cut him after two years, he'd get another good contract and that's where I think his flaw is in turning this deal down. If the Chiefs don't cut him loose, he's still very much at the top of the heap.

Originally Posted by RunKC:
He’s not signing a deal bc he wants the 6th year of his contract to be better structured. This is why having a real agent matters.

Who cares what your 6th year entails? Your pay average is higher than any LT in history and you get more guaranteed in your signing bonus than Trent Williams.

Does this guy really think he’s going to the the Chiefs LT in 2028? Every contract is structured this way. Trent Williams has a huge cap hit and salary in his 6th year too. That’s called team protection. That’s how you avoid Frank Clark situations. Bc no player hardly ever makes it through a 5 or 6 year 2nd contract. It’s money on paper.

This was a great contract on both sides. The Chiefs got protection and Brown Jr got bragging rights and more money. This is his own damn fault.
I agree.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 02:56 PM 07-15-2022
Now he has incentive to prove his worth and can get a better contract next year. Balls in his court.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 02:57 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I think you would. His position shouldn't have been seen as overly good. He's a mid-tier tackle asking for top-tier money. That said, the offer was damned close to where I thought Veach should value him. 19 per over 5 with 30.5 in your pocket day one and a solidly over 40 in the first 2 seasons? That's good money for him. Even if KC cut him after two years, he'd get another good contract and that's where I think his flaw is in turning this deal down. If the Chiefs don't cut him loose, he's still very much at the top of the heap.
Exactly.

I just don't understand why taking, say $45 million over the first 2 seasons, is less appealing to him than $36.

And literally the only answer I have is that he is THAT confident in his ability to prove he's worth more. Because the obvious downshot to that $45 million over 2 is that the Chiefs have his rights for 3 years thereafter and he thinks the figures they offered him are less than what he'd get over those 3 if he made it to FA.

If it's a confidence play, it's actually admirable. And the more you root around and start excluding possibilities, that almost HAS to be what it is.
[Reply]
Coach 03:01 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
If he signs the tender, he's not skipping camp. And if he's willing to play on the tag it's a clear 'bet on himself' situation so he'd be a complete moron to skip camp.

I bet he signs and is there on day 1. And honestly, we had the cap space to handle his contract this year. The $ on it is relatively low anyway. If he proves he's worth that kind of money and guarantees next year, the deal still only starts when he's 27 and that's nothing for an OT.

There's nothing hurt here. It's not like he's gonna get 30 in AAV if he performs like a 1st team All Pro next season. Only generational guys ever blow a scale apart like that and he's just not that kind of talent.

The Chiefs don't appear to have lost out on a potential discount rate over the life of a LTC here so they never had much incentive to go beyond where they wanted to be.

They good.
Only thing I just worry about is that the Chiefs had bad luck with players that performs on a "contract year" and then they dole out the big cash only to see same said player revert back to their "norms", so to speak.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 03:09 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Coach:
Only thing I just worry about is that the Chiefs had bad luck with players that performs on a "contract year" and then they dole out the big cash only to see same said player revert back to their "norms", so to speak.
Exactly why having him play on the tag is to our benefit. I'd draft a LT next year and keep him uncomfortable.
[Reply]
LoneWolf 03:51 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
So he said no to 65 mil guaranteed? Must be nice to be a ble to do that and think eh, I can do better.

Personally I don't think he can unless he plays lights out. That means stone walling guys like Bosa.
Not everybody is flipping burgers at Steak n’ Shake. OBJ has a skill that allows him to demand a salary in the millions. He thinks he’s worth more than the offer and is willing to bet on his abilities to get it.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 03:56 PM 07-15-2022
I love when players turn down five year deals because they want "security" only to then play on a one-year deal.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 03:58 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Exactly why having him play on the tag is to our benefit. I'd draft a LT next year and keep him uncomfortable.

Going to need to move up from 32 to get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:00 PM 07-15-2022
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Going to need to move up from 32 to get a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trading Jones and using that draft capital to move up.
[Reply]
Page 115 of 343
« First < 1565105111112113114115 116117118119125165215 > Last »
Up