6 Nick Loftin, SS
7 Kyle Isbel, OF
8 Khali Lee, OF
9 Jonathan Bowlan, RHP
10 Carlos Hernedez, RHP
[Reply]
Meatloaf 09:00 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
If Isbel is good, then what about moving Merrifield to CF and Witt to 2B? That gives you a pretty exciting 1-9 batting order.
How about Witt to SS, Whit at 2B, and Mondesi to CF. Maybe such a move for Mondesi would somehow free him up at the plate. Plus, and I may be alone in this thinking, but I think Mondesi is an average SS at best. Sure, he can make the play fantastic, but too many times I've seen him boot the ordinary grounder and/or loft one high/wide to 1B. The kid could be GREAT in CF.

Plus, Whit has said he'd really like to play 2B; time to give the guy his due and let him team with Witt for a nice twosome top the middle.
[Reply]
dallaschiefsfan 09:09 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
If Isbel is good, then what about moving Merrifield to CF and Witt to 2B? That gives you a pretty exciting 1-9 batting order.
If Taylor gets hurt, Isbel is likely the best CF option in-season w/ Dyson getting some spot starts. As others have said, if they sign Mondesi long-term, he likely needs to learn CF next off-season, assuming it doesn't contribute to more injuries. Witt needs to play SS when he's ready.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:10 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Meatloaf:
How about Witt to SS, Whit at 2B, and Mondesi to CF. Maybe such a move for Mondesi would somehow free him up at the plate. Plus, and I may be alone in this thinking, but I think Mondesi is an average SS at best. Sure, he can make the play fantastic, but too many times I've seen him boot the ordinary grounder and/or loft one high/wide to 1B. The kid could be GREAT in CF.

Plus, Whit has said he'd really like to play 2B; time to give the guy his due and let him team with Witt for a nice twosome top the middle.

They aren’t going to change Mondesi’s position in the middle of a year.

I could see them moving him to CF next year once Witt is expected to be a full time big leaguer. But he’ll need some reps up there.

The big CF is a tough one to patrol. Better off keeping Merrifield off of it and avoiding the wear on his legs.

That’s one position the Royals really can’t sacrifice defensively when they’re trying to good.
[Reply]
TomBarndtsTwin 09:15 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Meatloaf:

Really like this idea IF the Royals are gonna extend him long term. I agree that Mondesi would be better in CF long term and free up SS for Witt to take over, but Mondesi is gonna need some time to work on CF and get accustomed to it so that definitely won't be happening this year.

If the Royals are gonna extend him, they need to have him playing CF regularly in winter ball and he needs to be working on it regularly in ST next year. Not sure what his amenability to that type of move would be? But I assume that is something the Royals would discuss with him and his agent BEFORE signing him long term . . . . .
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:41 AM 03-30-2021
https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/roya...y-2021-preview

Royals eye contention after promising 2020
by
Anne Rogers

Originally Posted by :
On Sept. 8, 2020, the Royals snapped a seven-game losing streak with an 8-6 win over Cleveland. The Royals would then win six consecutive games, going 12-6 from that day to the end of the season.

The Royals finished the pandemic-shortened 2020 season 26-34, their fourth consecutive season under .500, and finished fourth in the American League Central. But with the way the Royals felt at the end of the September, no one was ready to head home for the offseason. That was the energy Royals manager Mike Matheny wanted his team to feel heading into this year’s Spring Training in Surprise, Ariz.

“The group as a whole was getting better on a very consistent basis and clicking right when you were hoping they would click,” Matheny said on one of the first days of spring camp. “Unfortunately, we had to sit and watch other teams make the playoffs, and that gives you a little bit of an edge, especially after you’ve been playing well, and after 60 games, [we were not] tired. You’re watching us catch momentum. … You can’t help but sense the vibe of excitement now because of some of the momentum that we have.”

The Royals are entering the 2021 season after an offseason full of moves, adding key hitters to the lineup and veteran voices to the pitching staff. Those moves signaled Kansas City is ready to take the turn towards contending once again.

Here are a few things to keep an eye on and players to watch out for as the regular season opens this week:

What Needs to Go Right?

The Royals were tied for 13th in the AL in runs scored in 2020 (248) and 14th in '19 (691). That number must increase for the Royals to compete in their division. Kansas City added first baseman Carlos Santana via free agency and left fielder Andrew Benintendi via trade over the offseason, believing the struggles they faced in '20 were not signs of things to come. In Spring Training, Santana showed he can be a tough at-bat in the middle of the lineup, always looking to get on base, but not shying away from the damage he can do. Benintendi will slot in at the top of the lineup, likely at No. 2, and figures to use his gap-to-gap style to get on base for those behind him.

Beyond just the two newcomers, the Royals are counting on third baseman Hunter Dozier and designated hitter Jorge Soler to return to their '19 forms, as well as shortstop Adalberto Mondesi to stay healthy to really give the lineup the depth it needs.

Great Unknown: The pitching

Who will be the fifth starter? How will the Royals handle the workload question? Will the bullpen see its success in a 60-game season translate to a 162-game campaign? These are the questions greeting the Royals' pitching staff come Opening Day.

Kansas City doesn’t need a fifth starter until April 16, so they can hold off on the first question until then, allowing left-hander Kris Bubic to work through his adjustments, or turning to long relievers like Jakob Junis or Ervin Santana. After April 16, the Royals won’t be ignoring the industry-wide uncertainty of how pitchers handle the transition from a shortened season to a full season. Junis and Santana could be used to bridge the gap in innings, too, as the Royals protect their young arms. They could also call on their depth with pitching prospects Daniel Lynch (No. 2) and Jackson Kowar (No. 4).

Kansas City's bullpen was a strength in 2020, with a 3.84 bullpen ERA. Greg Holland, Josh Staumont, Scott Barlow and Jesse Hahn are set to return, and a new -- but familiar -- face could join them in non-roster invite Wade Davis. Will the Royals look to add a lefty in the ‘pen with Richard Lovelady or Jake Brentz? How the Royals use their bullpen and its depth will also come into play with the workload question.

• Vintage Wade Davis makes Royals' roster

“I plan on it being better than it was last year, to be honest with you,” Holland said. “A lot of things have to line up, you got to stay healthy. But I think there’s more experience this year with a lot of guys getting an opportunity last year. We’ve got a lot of guys that are on the cusp of being in the big leagues. However it works out, you’re going to end up needing 15-20 pitchers deep down there when it’s all said and done, and I think we have the depth for that. I think we look forward to collectively going out there and getting the job done. I think that’s what’s exciting and that’s the main focus.”

Team MVP Will Be: Salvador Perez

Perez is coming off an excellent season, hitting .333/.353/.633 across 37 games one year after having Tommy John surgery. Despite missing some time in 2020, he didn’t miss a beat when he was playing, knocking 11 home runs and 12 doubles. After signing a four-year extension this Spring Training, Perez continues his momentum into the regular season at a premium position, anchoring the Royals both at the plate and behind it.

Team Cy Young Will Be: Brad Keller

The Royals reinforced Keller’s No. 1 status by naming him their Opening Day starter for the second time in his career. The right-hander will look to build on his 2.47 ERA in 2020, when he made nine starts and struck out 35 across 54 2/3 innings. The Royals are counting on Keller to be a workhorse, and he’s ready to take on that responsibility. This will be the year he does it for a full season -- and gets the results he and the Royals are expecting. But here’s a twist to this prediction: Young right-hander Brady Singer won’t be far behind in his second season in the Majors.

Bold Prediction: Bobby Witt Jr. will win AL Rookie of the Year

For Witt, the Royals’ top prospect and baseball’s No. 7 overall per MLB Pipeline, to win the AL Rookie of the Year Award would mean a lot has to go right. The Royals have signaled the 20-year-old infielder will not make the Opening Day roster, so he would need the opportunity to come up in the early part of the season and stick with the Royals the rest of the way. Witt was knocking at the door of the Majors with his performance for most of Spring Training, and the Royals won’t hesitate to bring him up when he’s ready and there’s opportunity. He would be Kansas City’s first ROY since Angel Berroa in 2003.

[Reply]
Chiefspants 09:42 AM 03-30-2021
Mondesi to CF feels like the new Hosmer to LF.

(Not saying it doesn't make sense)
[Reply]
Chris Meck 09:43 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
They aren’t going to change Mondesi’s position in the middle of a year.

I could see them moving him to CF next year once Witt is expected to be a full time big leaguer. But he’ll need some reps up there.

The big CF is a tough one to patrol. Better off keeping Merrifield off of it and avoiding the wear on his legs.

That’s one position the Royals really can’t sacrifice defensively when they’re trying to good.
I'd leave Mondesi alone; why mess with his head? Leave him alone and let him get settled in.

If Witt comes up, put him at 3rd and Dozier in RF. Don't mess with Witt's head either. Dozier's played RF before. Whit gives you a plus bat AND glove at 2nd.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:44 AM 03-30-2021
I still say 3rd is Witt's future position.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 09:45 AM 03-30-2021
And please keep Whit at 2nd. That is his natural position and best value by far.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:50 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I heard Rany compare Isbel to David Dejesus. Not a star but a nice complementary player.
https://www.mlb.com/royals/news/kyle...ze-opportunity

Isbel turns heads with spring development
by
Anne Rogers

Originally Posted by :
Royals outfield prospect Kyle Isbel scuffled through his most recent Minor League season, dealing with hamstring issues that set him back and limited him to just 59 games between rookie ball and Class-A Advanced. The canceled Minor League season in 2020 prevented him from taking the next step in the farm system.

It didn’t mean he would lose development.

Isbel, the Royals’ No. 5 prospect, according to MLB Pipeline, took advantage of the time he had at Kansas City’s alternate site last season, used it as momentum coming into this spring and has been making a case for an outfield spot on the Royals’ roster come Opening Day.

“It’s been emotional, it’s been really fun, but I can only control what I can control and just keep playing hard,” Isbel said Saturday night. “That’s all I can do. … I had a goal to make the team. Like I said, it’s out of my hands, but I give it my all every day. Whatever happens, happens.”

Royals manager Mike Matheny said last week that Isbel is still in the mix for an Opening Day spot based on his strong spring, including a .342/.422/.553 slash line in 21 games before starting Sunday’s penultimate Cactus League game in right field.

Despite Isbel’s reassignment to Minor League camp a week ago, the Royals continue to start him in Cactus League games so they can get more looks at the 24-year-old before they make their final decision.

“It feels good,” Isbel said. “It’s an honor to be out there and compete with these guys. It’s just a blessing, it really is. It’s fun competing with them every day, and the fact that they give me an opportunity to do that is great.”

Isbel, the Royals’ third-round Draft pick out of University of Nevada-Las Vegas in 2018, has earned the trust of the Royals’ coaching staff with his outfield play -- no small compliment when thinking about the expansive outfield at Kauffman Stadium. He would bring another left-handed bat to the lineup, with some speed near the bottom of the order, as well as power potential with two home runs this spring.

Though he doesn’t have experience above Class-A Advanced, the Royals are confident Isbel would be able to handle the Major Leagues, a credit to what the alternate training site accomplished last season. Players like Isbel faced pitching prospects like Daniel Lynch and Jackson Kowar, as well as pitchers who had Major League experience.

“[Last year] doesn’t necessarily give guys the credit they deserve,” Matheny said. “Last year was another year of development, playing probably against competition equal to if not higher than what they would normally be playing. … You got a mix of Major League, Double-A and Triple-A players that you’re facing every day. I know we all have to take the data right in front of us, which says these are low-level players, but it’s just not accurate. That’s a full year of growth and development.

“It doesn’t concern me as far as being able to check boxes, if there is such a thing. But the challenges are the same. For every player, there’s a new level of distractions, new level of information, new level of talent. And this just depends on how well they handle some of the distractions and how well they adjust to the talent.”

For Isbel, last year was about staying healthy and staying steady with his preparation and his play every day. That has stood out this spring to those watching closely, another thing clubs want to see out of young players when gauging whether they’re ready for the Majors.

“I think it’s just about being consistent,” Isbel said. “Consistency is obviously what everybody shoots for, but trying to make your lows even out with your highs, I think it’s more of a mindset of going out there and competing every day. It’s an honor to have a uniform on and be around a great group of guys.”

Whether Isbel is in the outfield at Kauffman Stadium on Thursday is still to be officially decided, but Isbel's hard work has him primed for his debut at some point this year.

“I feel ready,” Isbel said. “The guys we had at the alternate site, we had some of the best young arms in all the Minor Leagues. Being able to compete with them every day was a battle, and we all got better. They got better, we got better. It was a great experience.”

[Reply]
KChiefs1 09:51 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by louie aguiar:
I heard Rany compare Isbel to David Dejesus. Not a star but a nice complementary player.
• Outfielder Kyle Isbel, who’s in the running for a starting spot, left Monday’s game with the regulars after two plate appearances -- a sign of what might come when the Royals set their roster. Isbel has impressed everyone this spring, especially the teammates he’s been playing around lately.

“He’s a gamer,” Dozier said. “He reminds me a lot of [left fielder Alex Gordon]. He plays hard, he’s quiet, really good hitter, takes really good at-bats. Plays really good defense, he’s a great guy. He’s like a little Gordo running around. He’s a player that’s going to help us out a lot and will be fun to watch.”
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:52 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
I'd leave Mondesi alone; why mess with his head? Leave him alone and let him get settled in.

If Witt comes up, put him at 3rd and Dozier in RF. Don't mess with Witt's head either. Dozier's played RF before. Whit gives you a plus bat AND glove at 2nd.
The idea of moving Mondesi to CF has a few components:

1) By all reports, Witt is a better defender at SS than Mondesi. Has just as much range and arm and is more consistent/smoother

2) Mondesi has gotten hurt a LOT playing SS defense (those shoulder injuries were all dive-related, and he has tweaked his lower body several times with the stop-start required)

3) He would be an excellent defensive CF. It's just as valuable a position as SS. So it isn't like they're giving up on him... just taking advantage of the options.

I'm not suggesting he'd get moved this year. It would take some time and need an adjustment period. It would be a 22-and-forward move. If Witt comes up this year, he'll play 2B or 3B (maybe some of both).
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:00 AM 03-30-2021
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
I still say 3rd is Witt's future position.
No
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:49 AM 03-30-2021
Rotation #24. ROYALS

Like the Marlins, this Royals rotation is poised to shock. There are more veterans here than in Miami, but a combination of experience and youth has them on the cusp of something good. Minor’s peripherals last year were mostly in line with his big 2019; if you stared too hard at the 5.56 ERA, you might have missed the 4.20 SIERA. A velocity boost in spring training gives hope that he could pitch like he did his first time in Kansas City in 2017, though it is worth noting that his 2.55 ERA that year came entirely in relief.

Keller, a groundball artist with a 93–95 mph sinker, goes wherever his BABIP takes him. Thankfully for the Royals, he has shaved that figure down each year, hitting a .233 mark last season that led to a 2.47 ERA in 55 innings. His upside is tied to how many innings he can eat, as his skills are unlikely to make great leaps barring major arsenal changes. Duffy once carried frontline promise but has now settled into an an elder statesman role in the middle of the rotation.

Singer and Bubic were surprise call-ups in 2020, and both held their own. A quality fastball-slider combo helped Singer keep hitters at bay, but his changeup needs work if he is going to be more than a fifth starter. Bubic, meanwhile, leaned on his changeup and curveball to some solid results, but the fastball lacked any real bite and is already short on velocity (90–92 mph from the left side).

Even if the youngsters struggle, there are reinforcements. Junis is a veteran arm at this point who can string some decent starts together, but his success will always be capped by a huge career 1.6 HR/9 rate. Hernández and Kowar are another pair of notable prospects, both of whom should debut in 2021. A good fastball paired with a delivery that our Eric Longenhagen called “reliever-y” could push the former into the bullpen. The latter is powered by a premium changeup and little else, drawing Chris Paddack comps.
[Reply]
OKchiefs 11:23 AM 03-30-2021
Forgive my ignorance, but why isn't Witt Jr a consideration for CF? If he has the defense and athleticism for SS he surely can do CF, can't he? Or is a position change like that too much to ask for a rookie?
[Reply]
Page 52 of 440
« First < 2424849505152 5354555662102152 > Last »
Up